is the Abyss gazing at you right now?

Wise Fool

You really should not be such a Peeping Tom, gazing at the Abyss like that. It's rude and a little creepy.

Anyway, now the Abyss is indeed gazing at me. It's quite uncomfortable and I need to write to comfort myself. Though no comfort is sufficient. The horrors I've seen. Every nightmare you've ever had, every confusion, every... but! But I have also seen Wonders, and known Truth, walked the Way of Heaven! It is all One, all the Same... and yet, such a terrifying difference. When you go too far. When you really begin to Know things you really ought not. Because then you can obsessively think about them. And it taxes the mind to think about that which is unthinkable. Some mischievous troll within me cackles and begins to enjoy that taxation. Enjoys the descent into madness. Into horror. So you keep doing it. So I do. I keep looking. And looking. And looking.

What do you do when you can't stop looking? Look at something else? That doesn't work. In my mind I'm still looking at It. Chewing it. Gnawing on it. My teeth aren't strong enough, my jaw aches, yet still I can't help but chew. The only other option would be to vomit. Reject it from the mouth area entirely. Is that what I am doing here? I think it is. I am sorry. I did not think you would be supping upon my upchuck.

(ETA I hit the wrong button. Premature, as always! Because you see I haven't even gotten to the truth yet. The horrifying Truth. I don't even want to. Who would? It has no bottom, do you understand? No bottom! How is that possible? And yet there It is. It just goes on Eternally. Every second of your life, is an inch, in some universe, which is part of a greater universe, and so forth. All this stuff is... One Whole Thing... and It is aware! It knows!

No you don't get it! You don't! You might think you do, but you don't! You might think you see, but there's a blind spot which you don't know about because of another blind spot, and so on to infinity! Trying to grasp it is not simply impossible, it is infinitely impossible! Bite your own teeth! Hear your own ears!

It goes and goes and goes and goes and goes. You can't think It, so you must ignore It, you must avoid thinking about it, and so you decide there are cut-off points! Delusions! I can't... navigate my mind.... around this corner.... of reality...

I'm not deluded! That's the delusion. Haven't I said all of this before? Is there not nothing new under the sun? Once you know the truth you know it can't really be spoken! So trying to speak it is just madness! It sounds like madness! Because trying to think about it is madness! Almost by definition! Except of course there are other causes of madness besides comprehending the Eternal Truth! Like brain-worms, genetically modified bacteria, and fungi! Among other things!

It's Eye is upon me now! I cannot describe how indescribably It It is Being!

When you embark on a quest for truth, be careful, for you don't know where that quest will take you! Rather by definition, no? If you knew, you wouldn't seek to know the Truth. But be aware anyway. Only the penitent man may pass. A mind that is not ready, like mine, might become broken. Luckily my mind is sturdy, my ship navigates onward into the sea of the unknown unknown!

Let me be your beacon. I know the Universe and the Universe knows me. Who are you, though? You are interesting, you are worthy. Yes. You will be a satisfactory Being. Me, well, this is all rather weary, is it not? )

So is the abyss gazing at you or are you gazing at the abyss?? Currently I am trying to gaze everywhere BUT the abyss but when it decides to take up such a large, oppressive space I find myself making awkward eye contact quite often. 

Both. We gaze upon each Other. I Am The Stranger.

You can choose to be Theda "Flirty Eyes" Baratheon, of course. Or you can be like me, and just stare straight into the abyss as it stares straight back at you. Daring one another to break. Knowing that the Abyss will never be the one to break. It is Eternal and Dark and Infinite. Do not do this. Because then you will be seduced by the gaze and get sucked into It's world. This infinitely regressing hall of mirrors that Sees All. You never escape. I never have. I have always been here. This is where I dwell. It is the so-called normal, mundane world that I visit occasionally.

Both. We gaze upon each Other. I Am The Stranger.

You can choose to be Theda "Flirty Eyes" Baratheon, of course. Or you can be like me, and just stare straight into the abyss as it stares straight back at you. Daring one another to break. Knowing that the Abyss will never be the one to break. It is Eternal and Dark and Infinite. Do not do this. Because then you will be seduced by the gaze and get sucked into It's world. This infinitely regressing hall of mirrors that Sees All. You never escape. I never have. I have always been here. This is where I dwell. It is the so-called normal, mundane world that I visit occasionally.

I feel the same way about the abyss as I do a vaguely familiar person, just in your peripheral vision who has noticed you and is trying to place you and you are desperately trying, in vain, not to be noticed and not to be placed. And then you remember! He is a regular in your shop and maybe he is a pleasant customer, or at the very least, not a horribly rude one, all the same you'd really rather not be noticed as you hurriedly make your way to the self service machine in tesco but oh gods! It's not working! and you can see from the corner of your eye that he is drawing nearer, and whilst there's nothing obviously offensive or frightening about him, there is a certain offness, something almost mildly creepy, just a bit strange and you don't want to look in his direction because then you will have to acknowledge him, seeing as he is in your shop every day, and then you will have to smile and be just as friendly as you are when you're trapped behind the till being paid to smile and be friendly to people you really can't be bothered to smile and be friendly to. But just as he is close enough to say hello, your transaction has finally gone through and you panic and rush out the shop and just as you leave you catch his eye and you know and he knows that you are fleeing from him, that the very thought of a polite hello from this almost kind of acquaintance is so horrific that you would rather sweat and panic and run than stay and acknowledge. I don't think I would necessarily call that flirtatious, fleeting eye contact but the last desperate, futile attempt to check something is still there even though you know that it is. 

I feel the same way about the abyss as I do a vaguely familiar person, just in your peripheral vision who has noticed you and is trying to place you and you are desperately trying, in vain, not to be noticed and not to be placed. And then you remember! He is a regular in your shop and maybe he is a pleasant customer, or at the very least, not a horribly rude one, all the same you'd really rather not be noticed as you hurriedly make your way to the self service machine in tesco but oh gods! It's not working! and you can see from the corner of your eye that he is drawing nearer, and whilst there's nothing obviously offensive or frightening about him, there is a certain offness, something almost mildly creepy, just a bit strange and you don't want to look in his direction because then you will have to acknowledge him, seeing as he is in your shop every day, and then you will have to smile and be just as friendly as you are when you're trapped behind the till being paid to smile and be friendly to people you really can't be bothered to smile and be friendly to. But just as he is close enough to say hello, your transaction has finally gone through and you panic and rush out the shop and just as you leave you catch his eye and you know and he knows that you are fleeing from him, that the very thought of a polite hello from this almost kind of acquaintance is so horrific that you would rather sweat and panic and run than stay and acknowledge. I don't think I would necessarily call that flirtatious, fleeting eye contact but the last desperate, futile attempt to check something is still there even though you know that it is. 

Yes. You understand! Gazing into the Abyss causes something like social anxiety. It's not entirely pleasant.

Hence this thread, you see. Does it not all make sense? There is no mystery and no riddle. The mind demands a riddle to solve. Mine did. So I naturally tackled the unsolvable ones. Why bother with the others, really? You go all in, that's what you do in life, and so I did. And so I saw. I saw that I was creating what I saw. And the fact that what I saw was disturbing meant that I create disturbing things. And that I am, myself, a disturbing thing. We are all disturbed here now.

The disturbance caused all sorts of other effects. Truth, sure. But how much truth can you handle? Not all of it, that's the answer! Not all of it, not at all! How many unseeable things can you see before something Happens? What is that Happening?

And then there It is. Something twitching, pulsating, glistening, throbbing, undulating, breathing, feasting, crawling. The Horror that exists Behind. The thing you are designed not to see, not ever to see, just the way you can't see electromagnetism in the gamma or x-ray or infrared. The thing for which your mind has no teeth to chew on. It must be swallowed. Whole. What is It?

Yes. You understand! Gazing into the Abyss causes something like social anxiety. It's not entirely pleasant.

Hence this thread, you see. Does it not all make sense? There is no mystery and no riddle. The mind demands a riddle to solve. Mine did. So I naturally tackled the unsolvable ones. Why bother with the others, really? You go all in, that's what you do in life, and so I did. And so I saw. I saw that I was creating what I saw. And the fact that what I saw was disturbing meant that I create disturbing things. And that I am, myself, a disturbing thing. We are all disturbed here now.

The disturbance caused all sorts of other effects. Truth, sure. But how much truth can you handle? Not all of it, that's the answer! Not all of it, not at all! How many unseeable things can you see before something Happens? What is that Happening?

And then there It is. Something twitching, pulsating, glistening, throbbing, undulating, breathing, feasting, crawling. The Horror that exists Behind. The thing you are designed not to see, not ever to see, just the way you can't see electromagnetism in the gamma or x-ray or infrared. The thing for which your mind has no teeth to chew on. It must be swallowed. Whole. What is It?

This kind of futile attempt at denying a Thing is there and then ensuring that you definitely know there is a Thing and it is definitely right There reminds me of when I try to not think of ghosts and sleep paralysis and people touching my ankles but all of that ends up ensuring that I definitely will end up having sleep paralysis that night as I attempt to refuse my body to fall asleep, ending up lying on my back in a horribly uncomfortable position which ensures sleep paralysis happens and although the ghosts and invisible ankle grabbers are yet to pop up in my life I feel like they might at any minute and when they do I'm kind of terrified but also a little bit excited because what if they do pop up and that's it, they're just there and nothing else happens. A quick touch of the ankle a ''oh sorry that was a bit rude of me wasn't it my name's jim'' or a hello i am a ghost in your house and then that's it my worst fears have happened and they weren't even that scary, but what if they are scary, what if they are the worst thing in the world and rip my ankles off and haunt me forever see you just don't know with these things do you. It's all rather uncertain and just that little bit out of reach, like a word you know you know but you can't quite muster it from the cluttered filing system (well, I think it might have been once, now it's like one of those offices in a fallout game where the computers still work and theres old burned books on the floor but nothing is neat and tidy and useful anymore but there's the image that it once was and the absence of this tidyness and order and usefulness is just as imposing as the actual mess itself) that is your mind. 

This kind of futile attempt at denying a Thing is there and then ensuring that you definitely know there is a Thing and it is definitely right There reminds me of when I try to not think of ghosts and sleep paralysis and people touching my ankles but all of that ends up ensuring that I definitely will end up having sleep paralysis that night as I attempt to refuse my body to fall asleep, ending up lying on my back in a horribly uncomfortable position which ensures sleep paralysis happens and although the ghosts and invisible ankle grabbers are yet to pop up in my life I feel like they might at any minute and when they do I'm kind of terrified but also a little bit excited because what if they do pop up and that's it, they're just there and nothing else happens. A quick touch of the ankle a ''oh sorry that was a bit rude of me wasn't it my name's jim'' or a hello i am a ghost in your house and then that's it my worst fears have happened and they weren't even that scary, but what if they are scary, what if they are the worst thing in the world and rip my ankles off and haunt me forever see you just don't know with these things do you. It's all rather uncertain and just that little bit out of reach, like a word you know you know but you can't quite muster it from the cluttered filing system (well, I think it might have been once, now it's like one of those offices in a fallout game where the computers still work and theres old burned books on the floor but nothing is neat and tidy and useful anymore but there's the image that it once was and the absence of this tidyness and order and usefulness is just as imposing as the actual mess itself) that is your mind. 

Precise as ever, Theda! The self-fulfilling prophecy is the paradox of all prophecy. It is simultaneously brilliant and stupid. Ingeniously designed, and haphazardly slammed together. There's a cup that says, "Cosmic Horror: WARNING: DO NOT DRINK" and I drink it anyway. What is WRONG with me? Something was ALREADY wrong! And that just made everything worse! Infinitely worse! Infinite! Infinite! INFINITE! The mind MUST circumcise the infinite! It has no choice, because otherwise the uncircumcised infinite is TOO MUCH.

I don't have to tell you that. I don't have to tell anyone that. This self-consuming sort of mental auto-cannibalism explains itself by itself with itself, without explaining anything. It just... is. And people must deal with it. How could they? Pretend there's nothing.... OFF... about reality! Much more convenient and practical. I looked. I SAW. I GNOW WHAT THERE IS.

Precise as ever, Theda! The self-fulfilling prophecy is the paradox of all prophecy. It is simultaneously brilliant and stupid. Ingeniously designed, and haphazardly slammed together. There's a cup that says, "Cosmic Horror: WARNING: DO NOT DRINK" and I drink it anyway. What is WRONG with me? Something was ALREADY wrong! And that just made everything worse! Infinitely worse! Infinite! Infinite! INFINITE! The mind MUST circumcise the infinite! It has no choice, because otherwise the uncircumcised infinite is TOO MUCH.

I don't have to tell you that. I don't have to tell anyone that. This self-consuming sort of mental auto-cannibalism explains itself by itself with itself, without explaining anything. It just... is. And people must deal with it. How could they? Pretend there's nothing.... OFF... about reality! Much more convenient and practical. I looked. I SAW. I GNOW WHAT THERE IS.

I get you, WF, I get you. I think, anyway. Maybe not. Probably a little bit. I think I am trying to avoid the abyss at all costs and yet it might not even be all that bad in the end, like I have waited my whole life to fall down the rabbit hole and have something interesting and magical happen to me but at the same time deny any sort of possibility of Things Happening, so I run away when a Thing looks like it is about to Happen which just about ensures that I am constantly dwelling on all the Things that have Happened which I didn't experience so i won't ever have my down the rabbit hole story because i run away from it, because it's scary and frightening and visceral and yet out of reach at the same time and maybe if I met with the abyss and had a proper good look at it, it might make my life more interesting in some way like a Thing has happened TO ME, my life has just that little bit more interest and experience and a PAST but the idea of looking into the abyss too long fills me with panic and dread and although it might change my life and make me a more interesting person with stories and mystery I think i'd still rather run out the tesco doors and sneak a tiny peek, just enough to remind myself I don't want to stay and face it at all and validate my own skittishness before escaping relatively intact because who knows what will happen if i stay and have a chat with it 

Archived