You are Rhegar Targaryan (ursurp) your farhers crown quickly and effectivly

True.Kitn902

This is how I would have done it, if said to take place in AL 281

My basic assumptions

1. The Kingsguard will never turn on Aerys so they will likely have to die, with honor

2. Varys prevents any kind of coup from being staged in the Red Keep

3. It has to be a Blackfyre-esque rebellion

My assets

4. Some friends in Westeros

5. A son and a daughter

6. From the world book, the Prince of Dragonstone has evidently a rather impressive amount of wealth

And to the plan

7. I'd say that I will need to have at least four Great Houses with me for it to be worth trying.

8. These are my main choices of Great Houses; Martell, Tully and Tyrell. I know that I'm coming up short of my goal with four Great Houses but given what resources are present I have to hope this will be enough.

8.1 I've already married with the Martells so I'm kind of counting of their aid, and if they do not support me, then they are with the Greyjoys the weakest House and so not that terrible of a loss

8.2 I'd promise Rhaenys to Edmure, who if the wiki can be believed, should be 5 years old by now, and thus help to secure Riverrun for my cause. Given what a guy Hoster is, I will advice him to marry his daughters to Brandon Stark and Jon Arryn and so by extension hopefully bring Winterfell and the Eyrie to my side as well. And with a further link of Lyanna to Robert, Storm's End will have a decent chance to support me as well.

8.3 In regards to the Tyrells, Aegon should be new-born by now, or so I hope, and thus I shall make a betrothal of him to Margaery Tyrell and so secure Highgarden for my cause as well, and I can tell that the grasping Mace won't let this slip past his grubby little fingers

9. So if everything goes to plan, which it of course won't but anyway, I should have Stark, Tully, Arryn, Tyrell, Baratheon and Martell with me. Many of their lesser bannermen will naturally oppose my coup but the pull of all these Great Houses should in my view be enough to secure for ourselves an overwhelming advantage over King Aerys, who could only reliably count on th Crownlands with potential aid from the West and the Islands.

10. Organize Harrenhall. Either the tourney will be the starting shot for my rebellion OR if Aerys comes himself, we'll use it as a trap to capture him when he's outside of the Red Keep. Either way the swords are drawn and its time to get to action! Naturally I'll not leave my children in either the Red Keep or Dragonstone but try to send them somewhere safe, like the North or Dorne, if I know that I can count on either of these.

Feel free to tear this plan appart!

Rhaegar was never a politician, just as Ned and Jon Arryn he probably despised the power games in kings landing.

If he wanted to dispose of Aerys because he was becoming insane he would have to deal with the kingsguard first.
Remember what they said at the ToJ "We swore a vow", they would never allow Rhaegar to take power over the seven kingdoms if it would harm their king. So he would need to convince the KG first that he wishes to protect is father by locking him up. Then he needs the support of the gold cloaks to gain control of the city.

After he gets a hold of the capital and imprisons Aerys, he should probably write to the seven lords paramount and gain their support for his regency.

The first 2 steps he needs to do without gaining attention from Varys, who would have certainly used this to destabilize Targ rule for his Blackfyre boy.

I think the 3 KG at the TOJ were already Rhaegars men, and fully intended to help rhaegar overthrow Aerys.

As ned rightly pointed out, "I swore a vow" makes no sense in the context wrt to Aerys. They should have been on the trident or in the red keep if they were still loyal to Aerys.

anyway, I think that Rhaegar should have secretly gone to each of the major houses and gotten support for a grand council. That's basically what he was planning to do. I don't think anyone would really be on board until after the Starks were killed though.

First off, I will make it a goal to purge myself of any prophetic delusions. I will look in a mirror every morning and repeat to myself "I am not the Prince That Was Promised, Nor will I father the Prince That Was Promised" until it sinks in. Everyone already thinks my bloodline is insane, and developing a Messiah-complex will not convince anyone otherwise. I will especially make a point to stay away from Northern Girls, as I am married (more on that later).

Next, I will arrange for my dear father to be poisoned. I will make sure it appears to look like a sickness. I control the Kingsguard, and Visearys is just a boy, so no sucession crisis.

Finally, (without my Kingsguard learning about this), I kill my sterile wife Elia and make it look like a suicide. This way I can marry Cersei and cement an alliance with the Lannisters. I'll also foster my little brother Visearys with Tywin, and Ser Jamie with him to protect the Royal Family.

This is how I would have done it, if said to take place in AL 281

My basic assumptions

1. The Kingsguard will never turn on Aerys so they will likely have to die, with honor

2. Varys prevents any kind of coup from being staged in the Red Keep

3. It has to be a Blackfyre-esque rebellion

My assets

4. Some friends in Westeros

5. A son and a daughter

6. From the world book, the Prince of Dragonstone has evidently a rather impressive amount of wealth

And to the plan

7. I'd say that I will need to have at least four Great Houses with me for it to be worth trying.

8. These are my main choices of Great Houses; Martell, Tully and Tyrell. I know that I'm coming up short of my goal with four Great Houses but given what resources are present I have to hope this will be enough.

8.1 I've already married with the Martells so I'm kind of counting of their aid, and if they do not support me, then they are with the Greyjoys the weakest House and so not that terrible of a loss

8.2 I'd promise Rhaenys to Edmure, who if the wiki can be believed, should be 5 years old by now, and thus help to secure Riverrun for my cause. Given what a guy Hoster is, I will advice him to marry his daughters to Brandon Stark and Jon Arryn and so by extension hopefully bring Winterfell and the Eyrie to my side as well. And with a further link of Lyanna to Robert, Storm's End will have a decent chance to support me as well.

8.3 In regards to the Tyrells, Aegon should be new-born by now, or so I hope, and thus I shall make a betrothal of him to Margaery Tyrell and so secure Highgarden for my cause as well, and I can tell that the grasping Mace won't let this slip past his grubby little fingers

9. So if everything goes to plan, which it of course won't but anyway, I should have Stark, Tully, Arryn, Tyrell, Baratheon and Martell with me. Many of their lesser bannermen will naturally oppose my coup but the pull of all these Great Houses should in my view be enough to secure for ourselves an overwhelming advantage over King Aerys, who could only reliably count on th Crownlands with potential aid from the West and the Islands.

10. Organize Harrenhall. Either the tourney will be the starting shot for my rebellion OR if Aerys comes himself, we'll use it as a trap to capture him when he's outside of the Red Keep. Either way the swords are drawn and its time to get to action! Naturally I'll not leave my children in either the Red Keep or Dragonstone but try to send them somewhere safe, like the North or Dorne, if I know that I can count on either of these.

Feel free to tear this plan appart!

I like it sounds like it could work.

Why is Varys such a predicament? Can the Prince order arrests? I think he can. If don't either make him "accidentally" go away or plant false information that makes the King mistrusts him.

I think many people have taken at heart Barristan's words about him being private and mistake them with "the Prince was without friends". These are the list of houses that were likely involved in his coup:

Dayne

Martell

Mooton

Connington

Lonmouth

If we consider the KG (There is a lot of evidence to point out at them being involved, so I wouldn't discard them):

Hightower

Darry

Whent

Those aren't minor names (Darry and Whent were not before the Rebellion) and are enough people from the Riverlands (where he actually travelled before going into hiding) and Stormlands. Enough to keep the King military surrounded by his men in case of war.

Also, Rhaegar was not out of his own spies: the World Book pretty much says that Jon, Myles and Richard Lonmouth were his "men at court". Dayne was, in a way, probably also a spy that was NEXT to the King.

And everything was working fine until that meddling Brandon Stark fucked up everything :dunno:

Why is Varys such a predicament? Can the Prince order arrests? I think he can. If don't either make him "accidentally" go away or plant false information that makes the King mistrusts him.

"Assassinate Varys" is the one of those phrases that takes Easier Said Then Done to extreme levels. It's like saying, "All you need to do is conquer Russia in the winter".

I don't think Rhaegar could have realistically gotten past the Eunich's spy networks so as to assassinate Varys, even if Littlefinger came to Kings Landing with the intention of helping the prince out. At the very least, such a plot would need a whole nother complicated plot.

"Assassinate Varys" is the one of those phrases that takes Easier Said Then Done to extreme levels. It's like saying, "All you need to do is conquer Russia in the winter".

I don't think Rhaegar could have realistically gotten past the Eunich's spy networks so as to assassinate Varys, even if Littlefinger came to Kings Landing with the intention of helping the prince out. At the very least, such a plot would need a whole nother complicated plot.

I'm not saying Rhaegar should have, but it's not that hard.

Technically, the King and Princes can get away with killing people. Look at Aerion. he hurt Tanselle and the only reason that caused a problem was due to Dunk being there and punching him. Had he not been there, Maekar would have only given him a slap on the wrist. And the Rebellion started because the King murdered and ask for the murder of people with armies behind them.

But men like LF or Varys have no one. If the King had decided to kill Varys right there on the throne room no Rebellion had happened. Idem for LF. Arryn wasn't going to call the banners for Littlefinger. Not to say Varys.

So, Varys could have gotten the best spy network and still be helpless if Rhaegar had ordered him to be brought to Dragonstone in the middle of the night. "Uh, he was sailing here and the ship sunk. Pity".

I'm not saying Rhaegar should have, but it's not that hard.

Technically, the King and Princes can get away with killing people. Look at Aerion. he hurt Tanselle and the only reason that caused a problem was due to Dunk being there and punching him. Had he not been there, Maekar would have only given him a slap on the wrist. And the Rebellion started because the King murdered and ask for the murder of people with armies behind them.

But men like LF or Varys have no one. If the King had decided to kill Varys right there on the throne room no Rebellion had happened. Idem for LF. Arryn wasn't going to call the banners for Littlefinger. Not to say Varys.

So, Varys could have gotten the best spy network and still be helpless if Rhaegar had ordered him to be brought to Dragonstone in the middle of the night. "Uh, he was sailing here and the ship sunk. Pity".

Vary's could always go into hiding, like he did after he helped Tyrion escape. Cersei is essentially ruling through her puppet son, and even she couldn't catch him. She had all the power of a Westerosi King, and was unable to kill one glorified easdropper.

And as he would probably know all the tricks of the trade, I don't see Varys falling for that so easily.
"My lord, Prince Rhaegar sees you as a threat. He means to have you assassinated."
"Thanks for the warning, little bird. Now to return to my shadows."

I absloutly agree that Rhaegar or Aerys would suffer no legal ramifications for killing Varys. But the actual technical part of it would require a bit of thought.

Archived