Did Lyanna Stark have twins?

Fiery Heart

This theory is not new. I, personally, don't believe it because there is substantial evidence against it (as some people already pointed out). But if lets pretend this theory was proven to be true then I would love Meera to be a dragonrider. I'd rather have her on a dragon than others that have been speculated. 

This theory is not new. I, personally, don't believe it because there is substantial evidence against it (as some people already pointed out). But if lets pretend this theory was proven to be true then I would love Meera to be a dragonrider. I'd rather have her on a dragon than others that have been speculated. 

Thank you for the positive contribution to the thread :cheers:

Always nice to come across some one who is able to express their view in a constructive, positive way!

I like Meera's character a lot too, so hope to see her remain important to the story in interesting and un-expected ways.

Meera is 15 in ACoK, approximately the same age as Robb. In fact, she's probably a couple months older. Ned traveled home to Winterfell from the Eyrie to call his banners, then went to Riverrun. Robb was conceived on or shortly after his wedding night. Howland probably joined Ned as he went south, so Meera was likely conceived just before Howland left. (If that didn't happen, she would not have been conceived till after the war, and would be almost a year younger than Robb.)

From a book perspective, this so-called theory is flat-out refuted by Meera's crannogman characteristics. For the show, would D&D actually screw with the most important theory in the books? Are they creative enough to rip off Star Wars?

And yeah, I like the direwolf point, Tinker Tanner.

Meera might still ride a dragon (unlikely but possible), but not for this reason.

People still refute the R+L=J, so it isn't surprising to see such a half-hearted and lazy response to this theory.

FH, I think the Huff Post story is interesting to say the least, with quite a lot of circumstantial evidence in mythology to suggest it as GRRM canon. There have been an amazing number of crackpot theories on the boards that I've seen in the last 10 years, with a surprising amount dedicated to Meera Reed. I had totally discounted her on the first read through, thinking but a baby-sitter and plausible trail finder for Jojen and Bran. The theory I like the best about Jojen, one that supports this one, is that (a) the Reeds are part-CotF and (b) Jojen is actually Howland, kind of like the Phantom, where male heir succeeds to take on the father's identity, which would cover the Lord of Greywater Watch becoming so old.

Without reading through every Bran chapter, I have two passages to comment on that support this theory and discount some of the common objections published in this thread.

First of all, there is the oath Meera and Jojen give to Bran on their first meeting, which is held in state with Bran as the acting Lord of Winterfell.

Interesting features of this page are:

• Meera is "near Robb's age" (thus Jon's age), 
  • Meera brown-haired (like Jon and Lyanna), 
  • Jojen's eyes are moss-green, yet there is no mention here of Meera's eye colour
  • the below quote

"To Winterfell we pledge the faith of Greywater," they said together. "Hearth and heart and harvest we yield up to you, my lord. Our swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you."

"I swear it by earth and water," said the boy in green.

"I swear it by bronze and iron," his sister said.

"We swear it by ice and fire," they finished together.

This is interesting because Jon Snow himself repeats the words 

"'House Reed, the gatekeepers of the North, and among the most important and loyal bannermen of House Stark...I heard their oath of fealty once as a child, it's like no other lord's, ancient and dark. They swear by earth and water, by bronze and iron - and by ice and fire.'"

The other interesting point I'll make here, as I do intend to delve more deeply but I'm not convinced that this is the right forum, is that the Reeds were immediately drawn to find out about the Direwolves. In fact, aside from when she picking a fight with Summer or arguing with Bran, there is an affinity that few others possess.

Oops, I lied. Why is Bloodraven, the 3-eyed crow, trying to lure the Stark heir and Reed heirs Beyond the Wall?

• 5 months later...

Why does everyone have to be a secret Targaryen? The Bastard of Driftmark resembles Rhaegar. Maybe Lyanna had triplets.

The ice and fire oaths are thematically tying the Watch and the First Men to the legends and future of the North/the Long Night...

The entire NW makes this oath, and there's no thematic relevance to Meera being a secret Targ.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived