You think they have make-up in Asoiaf?

Felguy

I know in the middle ages they had some, they certainly weren't entirely without. Although I hate make up if it is overdone on women, some make up is okay, like some eyeshadow or something. (hate it because it conceals the natural beauty and looks of women, yes I am a purist Asshole like that)

In the show this season Sansa on some occasions looked like she had some tanning spray on, very disturbing and annoying imo.

Think Cat etc. Had some on in the books?

Yeah. They talk about powder and "painted faces"

Her face was pink and painted, her breasts heavy, her limbs thick

Her cheek tasted of paint and powder.

Wasn't that because he drank Shade of the Evening?
I know Varys powders his face though, but that doesn't count so much.

Yeah it was shade of the evening.

Westeros: Sansa's first thought of Lysa is "Her face was pink and painted", and when they kiss cheeks, she "tasted of paint and powder". Sansa herself wears face powder and concealer in AGoT (after the first time Joff sees her after Ned's execution). There are various mentions of "painted whores" and "painted catamites". One of the whores has red cheeks. Arianne has something that sounds like makeup that can be used to fake redspots (something like chicken pox). The early Andals and the later Faith Militant painted symbols on their faces.

Free Cities: Varys powders his face and body, but that could be a unique affectation. The Bloody Mummers have men with powdered cheeks, and others who scarify their cheeks and then paint the scars, but those could both be people from farther east rather than Qohor. Beyond that, the fact it's mentioned about 30000 times the Tyroshi dye their hair and facial hair, and bravos wear perfume, and I can't remember any mention of makeup for either of them, maybe there is none. I don't even remember the mummers in Braavos wearing theatrical makeup.

Central Essos: One of the first things Dany notices about Qarth is the painted faces of the people, and the fact that the children wear nothing but paint and sandals. She later notices the face paint of the Astapori women running with tears. I believe there's also a mention of painted faces in Meereen, but I can't remember where.

Eastern Essos: I can't remember about TWoIaF; in the main novels, we only have Dany's one glimpse of the traders, and she mentions tattoos, masks, and piercings, but no makeup. (But that could just be because when you're seeing tattoos, masks, and piercings for the first time, you don't notice something a lot more common?)

Westeros: Sansa's first thought of Lysa is "Her face was pink and painted", and when they kiss cheeks, she "tasted of paint and powder". Sansa herself wears face powder and concealer in AGoT (after the first time Joff sees her after Ned's execution). There are various mentions of "painted whores" and "painted catamites". One of the whores has red cheeks. Arianne has something that sounds like makeup that can be used to fake redspots (something like chicken pox). The early Andals and the later Faith Militant painted symbols on their faces.Free Cities: Varys powders his face and body, but that could be a unique affectation. The Bloody Mummers have men with powdered cheeks, and others who scarify their cheeks and then paint the scars, but those could both be people from farther east rather than Qohor. Beyond that, the fact it's mentioned about 30000 times the Tyroshi dye their hair and facial hair, and bravos wear perfume, and I can't remember any mention of makeup for either of them, maybe there is none. I don't even remember the mummers in Braavos wearing theatrical makeup.Central Essos: One of the first things Dany notices about Qarth is the painted faces of the people, and the fact that the children wear nothing but paint and sandals. She later notices the face paint of the Astapori women running with tears. I believe there's also a mention of painted faces in Meereen, but I can't remember where.Eastern Essos: I can't remember about TWoIaF; in the main novels, we only have Dany's one glimpse of the traders, and she mentions tattoos, masks, and piercings, but no makeup. (But that could just be because when you're seeing tattoos, masks, and piercings for the first time, you don't notice something a lot more common?)

Very informative! Nice post.

Yes, those are all mentioned.

Westeros: Sansa's first thought of Lysa is "Her face was pink and painted", and when they kiss cheeks, she "tasted of paint and powder". Sansa herself wears face powder and concealer in AGoT (after the first time Joff sees her after Ned's execution). There are various mentions of "painted whores" and "painted catamites". One of the whores has red cheeks. Arianne has something that sounds like makeup that can be used to fake redspots (something like chicken pox). The early Andals and the later Faith Militant painted symbols on their faces.

Free Cities: Varys powders his face and body, but that could be a unique affectation. The Bloody Mummers have men with powdered cheeks, and others who scarify their cheeks and then paint the scars, but those could both be people from farther east rather than Qohor. Beyond that, the fact it's mentioned about 30000 times the Tyroshi dye their hair and facial hair, and bravos wear perfume, and I can't remember any mention of makeup for either of them, maybe there is none. I don't even remember the mummers in Braavos wearing theatrical makeup.

Central Essos: One of the first things Dany notices about Qarth is the painted faces of the people, and the fact that the children wear nothing but paint and sandals. She later notices the face paint of the Astapori women running with tears. I believe there's also a mention of painted faces in Meereen, but I can't remember where.

Eastern Essos: I can't remember about TWoIaF; in the main novels, we only have Dany's one glimpse of the traders, and she mentions tattoos, masks, and piercings, but no makeup. (But that could just be because when you're seeing tattoos, masks, and piercings for the first time, you don't notice something a lot more common?)

Another interesting detail is that the Meereenese seem to use nail lacquer. Dany has her nails painted before her wedding to Hizdahr.

Archived