If anybody else was in charge...

Cryler

That kind of reaction to Jacksons LOTR does I'd say put a lot of the negative reaction to the show into context. There are certain readers who simply will not accept any kind of significant change to the source material. Whats more these people often confuse an understanding of the mechanics of the story as told in the book with an understanding of story mechanics in general.

The ironic thing is that whilst Tolkien was naturally protective of his own text in terms of publishers messing around with it he did not have the same kind of condescending view many "Tolkien scholars" do and generally referred to LOTR as his attempted at an adventure story rather than "high art".

Very hard to say who else could have done GoT and what form it might have taken as really the series is so unique at this stage, something like Babylon 5 is really the only comparison that's especially close.

Funny how we had 4 seasons of D&D adapting the books without much hating, suddenly they have to adapt the hardest two books which are often criticised for being nothing more than filler and unadaptable, the season isn't great and suddenly they are the devil. Guess that's the Internet for you

It's also funny how perspectives and perceptions may differ.  I've been criticizing AGoT since the second season (although it's definitely increasing over time) and my perspective is certainly not that there hasn't been much "hating" until recently.  Also, while I know there are those who criticize AFfC and ADwD for various reasons I would quibble with the word "often".  That's just not my experience.  Funny how that works :dunno:

As to the OP, given my poor opinion of AGoT now and my good opinion of much of Netflix's original programming and collaborations that I've seen I would now love to have seen what they could have done with this source material and a similar budget.

It's also funny how perspectives and perceptions may differ.  I've been criticizing AGoT since the second season (although it's definitely increasing over time) and my perspective is certainly not that there hasn't been much "hating" until recently.  Also, while I know there are those who criticize AFfC and ADwD for various reasons I would quibble with the word "often".  That's just not my experience.  Funny how that works :dunno:

As to the OP, given my poor opinion of AGoT now and my good opinion of much of Netflix's original programming and collaborations that I've seen I would now love to have seen what they could have done with this source material and a similar budget.

If you invest the time into reading the book series, and even re-read it, multiple times and in innovative ways, you probably don't criticize the books, other than the lack of the next one!  :worried:

If you invest the time into reading the book series, and even re-read it, multiple times and in innovative ways, you probably don't criticize the books, other than the lack of the next one!  :worried:

Well, I've read books 4 and 5 several times and I still don't like them. And please don't call me non-inovative. I try to visualize everything in the books and hear the voice of every character (I mostly use TV actors and those, who are not on TV, I try to make them up). I won't post my arguments why I don't like the last two books. If you want to hear them, let me know.

The same thing (Your statement) can be said for TV series -maybe someone will like it more on their second or third watching, maybe less (I liked episode Lord Snow at the beginning but now ... not anymore - too static)

I've seen most of the Netflix big shows and I don't think anyone of them are particularly superior to Got. Except House of cards which actually had a poor last season.

Look around the internet btw, you will find plenty of anger aimed at GRRM for his later books. I personally now like them, but only on a reread when you are less interested in the plot

Well, maybe.  I get why people dislike AFfC and ADwD, I think, I just don't happen to agree.  It gets said a lot but I'll say it again for anyone who hasn't already heard it: when re-reading AFfC and ADwD, read the chapters in chronological order.  I bet you'll like it better that way.

Well, I've read books 4 and 5 several times and I still don't like them. And please don't call me non-inovative. I try to visualize everything in the books and hear the voice of every character (I mostly use TV actors and those, who are not on TV, I try to make them up). I won't post my arguments why I don't like the last two books. If you want to hear them, let me know.

The same thing (Your statement) can be said for TV series -maybe someone will like it more on their second or third watching, maybe less (I liked episode Lord Snow at the beginning but now ... not anymore - too static)

You're right. Of course some people won't like them (hence my "probably"); they're not accessible like the earlier books, and not linear, but I found them rewarding. Part of my problem with Season 5 is that it had many things added but all the payoff taken away. More than anything, I missed the spirit of the story as told by Martin, because it diverged so greatly from that story.

Again,  your mileage DOES vary, and you're at least collegial about it, The Amun Ra.

I've seen most of the Netflix big shows and I don't think anyone of them are particularly superior to Got. Except House of cards which actually had a poor last season.

Well, our opinions differ there then.  I could list several Netflix shows I think are superior to AGoT season three on.  You see, contrary to what many think about those who don't like the show now, I don't have any problem with substantial changes from the books per se.  I never expected a word for word adaptation.  That would be very unrealistic.  However, what I do have problems with is the lack of characterization, logic, internal consistency, etc. that the show increasingly displays.  In fact, given what we now know about how the Iron Born and Sansa's Vale story lines were going to go I think the show would have been much better served if they'd never even been introduced.  And that's just a couple of examples off the top of my head...   

Look around the internet btw, you will find plenty of anger aimed at GRRM for his later books. I personally now like them, but only on a reread when you are less interested in the plot

Oh, I know.  I'll also find praise.  I get it, AFfC didn't contain many of the characters people waited so long to read about.  Many wanted to read more about the further adventures of Bran, Jon, Arya, etc.  They didn't want to read about boring Brienne showing us the war-ravaged Riverlands on her boring, futile quest ;)  

Well, our opinions differ there then.  I could list several Netflix shows I think are superior to AGoT season three on.  You see, contrary to what many think about those who don't like the show now, I don't have any problem with substantial changes from the books per se.  I never expected a word for word adaptation.  That would be very unrealistic.  However, what I do have problems with is the lack of characterization, logic, internal consistency, etc. that the show increasingly displays.  In fact, given what we now know about how the Iron Born and Sansa's Vale story lines were going to go I think the show would have been much better served if they'd never even been introduced.  And that's just a couple of examples off the top of my head...   

Oh, I know.  I'll also find praise.  I get it, AFfC didn't contain many of the characters people waited so long to read about.  Many wanted to read more about the further adventures of Bran, Jon, Arya, etc.  They didn't want to read about boring Brienne showing us the war-ravaged Riverlands on her boring, futile quest ;)  

There are maybe a couple of shows I really like on there , daredevil and house of cards, but they are far from perfect and also suffer from internal logic problems. They also have the luxury of not being hard adaptations of difficult source material, so don't have to worry about sticking to what happens in books, especially books that haven't even been written yet.

You are maybe being sarcastic about people's reactions to the books, but that's how a lot of people felt, myself included. It was a bitter betrayal when you first read them. It's only when you forgive him and look closer that they become readable

You will also find praise for GoT season 5. 

Archived