Rhaegal & Viserion

They may go through several riders, but they will always have a certain affection for their mother.  This of course will be complicated a bit by Drogon's jealousy issues now that he has essentially claimed Dany as his person.

But as I expect Drogon ends up being killed to help save the realm, that may end up being a non-issue in the end.

I'm not sure what will happen to Rhaegal and Viserion.  Could be they both end up dead as well, or one survives, or both survives.  This could be played a number of ways.

They may go through several riders, but they will always have a certain affection for their mother.  This of course will be complicated a bit by Drogon's jealousy issues now that he has essentially claimed Dany as his person.

But as I expect Drogon ends up being killed to help save the realm, that may end up being a non-issue in the end.

I'm not sure what will happen to Rhaegal and Viserion.  Could be they both end up dead as well, or one survives, or both survives.  This could be played a number of ways.

I agree.  I think "the dragon has three heads" could mean that that in the end they each will have had 3 riders. 

I think Dany will lose one of them to Victarion or Aegon. It will be controlled with the dragon horn and become a threat to Dany. Either it will die (perhaps, by Dany's hand) or eventually be released and pass on to another rider. Tyrion might be the one to deal with the 'rogue dragon' and find a way to kill it or win back control.

I also think one of them (most likely Rhaegal) will end up with Jon but that will be Dany's decision, not because it finds Jon. She will see the value in having Jon ride a dragon against the Others and want him to prove his lineage.

I agree.  I think "the dragon has three heads" could mean that that in the end they each will have had 3 riders. 

Personally while I think all three heads of the dragon  may well end up being dragonriders themselves, I don't really think it's likely that how many riders each dragon will have is related to the three-headed-dragon (cause that would be more like "the dragons have three heads" or "the dragon has nine heads").

Victarion will not ride a dragon, he will get killed by a dragon very early in TWOW.  Euron will claim Rhaegal through the horn.  I don't want Tyrion to ride a Dragon since it would feel cheap, but I suppose it's a possibility.  And Jon has a very good chance of taking a dragon as well.

Personally while I think all three heads of the dragon  may well end up being dragonriders themselves, I don't really think it's likely that how many riders each dragon will have is related to the three-headed-dragon (cause that would be more like "the dragons have three heads" or "the dragon has nine heads").

I'm not completely sold on the idea, but I'm not ready to disregard it either.  I think the wording is loose enough for it to work.  If it was straight forward it wouldn't be GRRM.   

I think Jon gets Viserion, not Rhaegal. Yes, Rhaegar was almost certainly his father, but Viserion's colors of cream (white) and gold seem more connected to Jon's story than Rhaegal's green. That's not a very good reason, though, and I admit it freely. :)

I will throw the book across the room if anyone save Dany gets Drogon. I will keep reading but it will piss me off. :)

I think Jon gets Viserion, not Rhaegal. Yes, Rhaegar was almost certainly his father, but Viserion's colors of cream (white) and gold seem more connected to Jon's story than Rhaegal's green. That's not a very good reason, though, and I admit it freely. :)

I will throw the book across the room if anyone save Dany gets Drogon. I will keep reading but it will piss me off. :)

lol,  I did that the first time I read the Red Wedding.  Once I could read through the tears I picked it up again. 

lol,  I did that the first time I read the Red Wedding.  Once I could read through the tears I picked it up again. 

:) Totally understand! Same.

Of course I trust GRRM to create circumstances where I might accept it. If there was a battle and Dany couldn't ride, then I would be fine with Jon or another dragonrider hopping on and burning a few wights or White Walkers...

:) Totally understand! Same.

Of course I trust GRRM to create circumstances where I might accept it. If there was a battle and Dany couldn't ride, then I would be fine with Jon or another dragonrider hopping on and burning a few wights or White Walkers...

If she were, IDK, giving birth...

I know Vis is a common choice for Jon, but being a man in black I wouldn't mind seeing him on Drogon.  Would be quite picturesque if his appearance changes (hair lightens, eyes turn purple) once he comes back. 

I also think Bran will be crucial in training the dragons.  His special saddle, skinchanging abilities, and a few other tid bits.

i have a feeling that all of three would die eventually. 

but I am also positive that Aegon would claim one dragon at least for a while. 

It is super boring if only Dany's camp has dragons and she just proudly and happily burn whatever in her way to the IT. 

They may go through several riders

Doesn't this conflict with the established rules of one rider bonding to one dragon for life? Unless your implying that all these other riders end up dying?

Doesn't this conflict with the established rules of one rider bonding to one dragon for life? Unless your implying that all these other riders end up dying?

Yes, I think that's what would have to happen if the dragon having three heads means one dragon, three riders.  Quentyn was called the Dragonrider and tried to ride one so he could count as 1 despite being horribly unsuccessful.  So if it's as simple as someone trying it wouldn't take long to tick 3 people off the list for each one.  Brown Ben Plum might be in that list of 9 too.  Again, I'm not completely sold on it, but I can't ignore the possibility either. 

ETA:  Balerion had 3 riders - Aegon, Maegor I & Viserys I

Vhagar had 3 riders - Visenya Targaryen, Laena Velaryon & Aemond Targaryen

Tyrion will ride Viserion until they both die. Victarion will ride Rhaegal until he dies. Rhaegal might have other riders who reclaim the horn succesfully until it dies.

The part I disagree with is Rhaegal, I think he will survive. 

Archived