Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

"I mean... Fire is love, fire is passion, fire is sexual ardor and all of these things. Ice is betrayal, ice is revenge, ice is… you know, that kind of cold inhumanity and all that stuff is being played out in the books" -GRRM

Fire: symbol for desire and love. Fire can also be a LIGHT and the burning can be painful.
Ice: symbol for betrayal and hate: Ice can also be a darkness that could lead to numbness and blindness.
So according to GRRM, this poem heavily influenced him in asoiaf.
The prince that was promised's song was 'a song of ice and fire'.
Does this mean 'the prince' will bring chaos?
 Does this mean Westeros and Essos ends in some kind of 'apocalypse'/'war'? Or something else?
What d'ya guys think?

DAny will come with Fire and Blood to westeros and fight another civil war, the dance of dragons, that will bring much death and destruction..

While the Others will invade the seven kingdoms with cold and darkness , in another Long Night, that will kill many and starve the rest.

the World will be destroyed by ice and fire..

the prince must defeat these forces to save whats left.

The Others are the threat of ice and I would call Cersei the threat of fire given her frequent associations with wildfire. An argument can also be made for who uses the dragons, especially if Dany becomes a much darker character down the road.

Too much of either will result in utter destruction.  The heroes of the story are tasked with finding a balance.

Agreed, it takes after the Reeds' view of totality. It will take the balance to make things aright, and deal with the threats from extremes.

Archived