Lyanna died giving birth?

YorEmixam

What are the argument about a baby birthed by Lyanna at the ToJ? Did George confirm?

I come to think its a big, big red hearing that we all assume is true, because its in link with R+L.

If the birthing really killed her dont mind what im about to say. Could raeghar have Nissa Nissa'd her? Could it be an assassination, maybe by tywin seeing an opportunity to put is family on the throne? Her own suicide?

If someone has the proof of Lyannas dying giving birth, please share, thanks everyone.

What are the argument about a baby birthed by Lyanna at the ToJ? Did George confirm?
I come to think its a big, big red hearing that we all assume is true, because its in link with R+L.
If the birthing really killed her dont mind what im about to say. Could raeghar have Nissa Nissa'd her? Could it be an assassination, maybe by tywin seeing an opportunity to put is family on the throne? Her own suicide?
If someone has the proof of Lyannas dying giving birth, please share, thanks everyone.

You should read the R+L=J thread pinned to the contents page. She died of a fever in a bed of blood with dead rose petals in her palm and Ned holding her hand. So she wasn't assassinated. Bed of Blood is a reference to the birthing bed.

She definitely died in childbirth or its aftermath. To be honest, that seems to be the only thing that's certain about the entire ToJ mystery 

I took it for granted too, thats why I had to question it and I found the bed of blood argument rather unsatisfacting.

Pretty sure some of Qyburn victims died of hemoragic fever without having given birth too. I cant find a solid proof of Lyanna giving birth but maybe that was the point when GoT got out in the 90's.

I took it for granted too, thats why I had to question it and I found the bed of blood argument rather unsatisfacting.

Pretty sure some of Qyburn victims died of hemoragic fever without having given birth too. I cant find a solid proof of Lyanna giving birth but maybe that was the point when GoT got out in the 90's.

It's not confirmed that Lyanna died in childbirth or afterwards, but since 'bed of blood' is used to refer to childbirth in the novels, it's probably a safe bet to guess she died after giving birth. Of course, this might not be the case, but I get the feeling that GRRM wouldn't have referred to Ned finding Lyanna 'in her bed of blood' if it wasn't a reference to childbirth  :)

Also, there's the fever. The fever indicates she didn't die during childbirth, but because of complications afterwards. When women give birth their uterus is basically one giant internal wound. Anyone who helped her giving birth without disinfected hands and material would have infected her with bacteria, that could get right from the uterus to the bloodstream. Without antibiotics the woman would then die of blood poisoning between 7-10 days after giving birth. It's called puerperal fever, and several queens and highborn women up until the 20th century were known to have died from it. The infection still happens at times, but now we have medicine to conquer the infection.

So, Lyanna died of blood poisoning caused by an infection via the uterus around a week to 10 days after birthing a child.

Whenever GRRM uses the words "bed of blood" or "bloody bed" it is in the context of childbirth. There are examples of people bleeding while in a bed - for instance King Robert Baratheon after being gored by the boar was laid in his bed in Kings Landing and he was fairly bloody - but the words "bed of blood" or "bloody bed" are noticeably NOT used in those situations.

You should read the R+L=J thread pinned to the contents page. She died of a fever in a bed of blood with dead rose petals in her palm and Ned holding her hand. So she wasn't assassinated. Bed of Blood is a reference to the birthing bed.

We don't know that. We only know that she had a fever while she was dying, not that the fever is what killed her.

We don't know that. We only know that she had a fever while she was dying, not that the fever is what killed her.

Seriously? Let me correct myself for you: "She died with a fever in a bed of blood...."
People don't really die of a fever do they? She likely die of an infection.

Seriously? Let me correct myself for you: "She died with a fever in a bed of blood...."
People don't really die of a fever do they? She likely die of an infection.

Just pointing it out as it's a common misconception. You seem to be aware that the fever didn't actually kill her, but I see posts all the time of people saying she died of fever when all we know about her death is that she had a fever as she was dying. Not what caused the fever or if the fever is what killed her instead of something else.

So was just making a correction so people don't see that post and think that Lyanna died of a fever. She had a fever. Her cause of death is unknown.

Just pointing it out as it's a common misconception. You seem to be aware that the fever didn't actually kill her, but I see posts all the time of people saying she died of fever when all we know about her death is that she had a fever as she was dying. Not what caused the fever or if the fever is what killed her instead of something else.

So was just making a correction so people don't see that post and think that Lyanna died of a fever. She had a fever. Her cause of death is unknown.

It was a typo.;) We know she wasn't assassinated thou, don't we?

It was a typo.;) We know she wasn't assassinated thou, don't we?

Don't be so sure, I've seen some Jon haters around here that would put forth that Lyanna dying in childbirth is a form of Jon assassinating her. :rolleyes:

fever + childbirth bed = puerperal fever.

Which is a theory. I'm pointing out that the books don't say that Lyanna died of her fever or had any childbirth complications. Those are all made up by fans.

I wouldn't say made up. Although not confirmed, the text strongly implies this. It's a theory that I would say is almost guaranteed to be right.

Archived