A Question on Stannis

With all the topics concerning parentage these days (Dany isn't a Targ, for instance) based on nothing but speculation I've become leery of Stannis's claim to being a Baratheon at all. He has nothing in common with his brothers either emotionally nor intellectually. It's almost as if he was the product of an affair his mother conducted.

So, who would Stannis's real father be? I'd say Maester Cressen, who is the only one who cared for him while he was growing up. What would be more natural for Cressen than to care for his natural child?

It would be the height of irony that the man who claims the Iron Throne because the current occupant wasn't legitimate was himself illegitimate.

Never got the sense Steffon resented Stannis, buying Patchy is a perfect example.

Knowing what we know about House Baratheon and their mental makeup, no way would a Lord of Storms End accept a bastard child into his home.

in terms of irony, i always thought it would be the ultimate moment if Danny won the Iron Throne in the end, and gave Storms End to Stannis.

He has nothing in common with his brothers either emotionally nor intellectually

You're right, because he's smarter than both of them ;)

Anyway, Stannis looks like a Baratheon, therefore is one. Blue eyes, black hair. That's enough to convince me. I did read a theory once saying his personality was more his mothers, since the Baratheons are usually a loud and boisterous bunch.

Never got the sense Steffon resented Stannis, buying Patchy is a perfect example.

Knowing what we know about House Baratheon and their mental makeup, no way would a Lord of Storms End accept a bastard child into his home.

in terms of irony, i always thought it would be the ultimate moment if Danny won the Iron Throne in the end, and gave Storms End to Stannis.

Yes! I'd be happy with that even if it probably wont happen. Getting his due and not being deceived by the last person he'd think of.

I can't say I agree with the OP either, but you're assuming that Lord Steffon would be aware that he has a cuckoo in the nest. If his wife was very, very discreet with her affair and still slept with her husband as well, it's entirely possible to pass someone else's child off as her husband's. Assuming she knows, 100%, who the father is. If she was sleeping with 2 men frequently, it's entirely possible SHE couldn't be sure who daddy was. Let alone her husband know for sure.

So it's impossible to ascertain, based on second and third hand accounts of Steffon's behaviour towards his children, whether he knew or suspected a (theoretical) cuckoo.

I can't say I agree with the OP either, but you're assuming that Lord Steffon would be aware that he has a cuckoo in the nest. If his wife was very, very discreet with her affair and still slept with her husband as well, it's entirely possible to pass someone else's child off as her husband's. Assuming she knows, 100%, who the father is. If she was sleeping with 2 men frequently, it's entirely possible SHE couldn't be sure who daddy was. Let alone her husband know for sure. 

So it's impossible to ascertain, based on second and third hand accounts of Steffon's behaviour towards his children, whether he knew or suspected a (theoretical) cuckoo.

excellent perspective...i do not know why i assumed Steffon would be aware, but i did.

Robert was clueless regarding his children, maybe being naive runs as deep as the fury in House Baratheon?

With all the topics concerning parentage these days (Dany isn't a Targ, for instance) based on nothing but speculation I've become leery of Stannis's claim to being a Baratheon at all. He has nothing in common with his brothers either emotionally nor intellectually. It's almost as if he was the product of an affair his mother conducted.

So, who would Stannis's real father be? I'd say Maester Cressen, who is the only one who cared for him while he was growing up. What would be more natural for Cressen than to care for his natural child?

It would be the height of irony that the man who claims the Iron Throne because the current occupant wasn't legitimate was himself illegitimate.

In terms of his anger he is similar to Robert.

Reading books is not a hereditary trait.

The only difference between Stannis and his brothers is that he was a very sensitive kid. We have the tale of Proudwing and why you think he keeps Patchface? Because that's the last gift his parents gave to him. He also remembers to have entered the Throne Room holding Robert's hand (omg, I... am dying of overcuteness here). Robert and Renly are a bit more shallow (Renly not so much) for different reasons, but he seems to be as stubborn as they were. :dunno:

Personalities are not exactly hereditary. True, you have family members that develop similar personality traits simply by proximity, but we all probably ha e siblings raised in the same household that are worlds different from us.

Stannis has the same physical traits as his brothers - very tall, black hair, blue eyes. I think they are all said to resemble each other, with the exception of Stannis' premture balding. So, basically, there's no good reason to think that Stannis isn't a Baratheon. And of course, no reason to think that Cressen has anything other than the love any person would have for a troubled child he effectively raised.

In fairness Stannis has many Baratheon traits, big, stubborn, angry, petulant, did I say angry? Quick to take a slight, did I mention angry before? He's one of the more inverted Baratheons, they weren't all Laughing Lyonel.

In fairness Stannis has many Baratheon traits, big, stubborn, angry, petulant, did I say angry? Quick to take a slight, did I mention angry before? He's one of the more inverted Baratheons, they weren't all Laughing Lyonel.

This. He looked like a Baratheon and he most likely behaved like a Baratheon. 

This. He looked like a Baratheon and he most likely behaved like a Baratheon. 

I agree with this as well. There is nothing to suggest that he isn't a Baratheon. Also, Cressen stated that he took a special liking to Stannis because he "needed it more than his brothers". I interpreted this as Stannis had trouble making friends so him and the maester spent time together. There is also evidence concerning Pathface, which weakens your arguement with Steffon.

Nevertheless, interesting question. 

~House_Targaryen

Archived