Who knows of Jons parentage?

Rickyhunt

One of the fundamnetal questions in a song of ice and fire is who are Jon's snows parents? Of course most people myself included believes he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna commonly know as the R + L = J. There are also other theories of course Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne the milk maid wylia and Ned etc.

We know Howland reed knows of what happened in the tower of joy so he might know but is there anyone else in the story who you think might know who Jon Snows parents are?

Well I may be mistaken but I believe now days an awful lot of the fans know. Yeah I am going with fans, outside of that, you already listed most of the locks.

yea I should've said characters in the books

do you think Howland reed is the only person who knows?

I suspect, for some reason, that Ashara Dayne might still be alive, so I'll go with her. I think other people will know of it (I don't know who though, except Howland Reed of course) but just haven't said anything. I definitely think there will be answers at Starfall and/or the Winterfell crypts. 

No one thinks Varys or littlefinger would've come across something? Or bran would have seen it in visions?

Bran likely will see eventually in a vision, or at least of a piece of it.  Varys was stuck in KL with the Mad King and LF was healing up at the Fingers when all this was going down.

No one thinks Varys or littlefinger would've come across something? Or bran would have seen it in visions?

I do, well Bran is on the way to know anything, so if not currently, very soon. Varys and Littlefinger, if it wasn't from knowing from the start (Lyanna and LF), then they might have found the conclusion (after all LF is the one who found out about Cersei and Jaime, and made the other aware), and Varys and his spy network and ways cannot "not" know. Besides GRRM clearly said that he couldn't write PoV of those kind of characters because they know too much about the main plot in the story. Anyway: Howland Reed.

Howland and Wylla for sure. Also, whoever else is encompassed by they at the TOJ.

Certain members of the Dayne family are likely to be on conspiracy as well. They received Ned after the fight at TOJ (thus giving them opportunity to conspire) and allowed Wylla to go north with Jon.

Bloodraven would be my next pick. Bran as well is bound to learn - either from weirnet of BR himself.

I definitely don't think Varys or Littlefinger know because I think Ned succeeded in pulling the wool over the eyes of the people who would harm Jon because of it. However, Littlefinger and Varys --especially Varys --may only be one or two clues away from figuring it out.  If Bran hasn't had a vision of it yet, I expect he will soon.  

Those who actually know at the moment I would limit to Benjen, Howland, Bloodraven, Wylla, Ashara, and perhaps some other members of House Dayne.  I think there are also other characters who may suspect R + L = J, and there others like Varys who are only one or two clues away from figuring it out or know more than they realize.   

Archived