How Aerys could have survived Roberts rebellion by doing one thing.

Abdallah

So besides not burning Rickard and Brandon Stark, and demanding Ned and Robert's heads, all Aerys had to do is have Jaime join Rhaegar at the Trident. Tywin would have been forced to send his 12,000 men to support Rhaegar in order to protect Jaime. 12,000 well trained and disciplined warriors could have easily made the difference and ended Robert's rebellion. Heck when Aerys finally dies Tywin could have convinced Rhaegar to grant him the Riverlands and remove Jaime from the kingsguard.

*Edit, or use Jaime in another way, such as offering to send Jaime back to Casterly Rock, in exchange for aid at the Trident. 

So besides not burning Rickard and Brandon Stark, and demanding Ned and Robert's heads, all Aerys had to do is have Jaime join Rhaegar at the Trident. Tywin would have been forced to send his 12,000 men to support Rhaegar in order to protect Jaime. 12,000 well trained and disciplined warriors could have easily made the difference and ended Robert's rebellion. Heck when Aerys finally dies Tywin could have convinced Rhaegar to grant him the Riverlands and remove Jaime from the kingsguard.

How would Tywin have been forced to send men? He hadn't thus far in the war. And what was stopping Tywin attacking Kings Landing now that his son was not held hostage there?

And it is not like Aerys was lacking for numbers, they still had the Reach Lords in reserve and even without them still outnumbered the Rebels. The loyalists were not losing the war(or winning it) till the Trident, and the Trident could have gone either way. The Targs lost through arrogance and poor communication with their subordinates.

Have you heard of The Butterfly Effect?

In any case, no-one expected Rhaegar to lose at the Trident so you're not on solid ground when you suggest that Tywin would have definitely sent another 12k men there. 

True but Tywin views Jaime as his heir, and he would do anything to protect him. If he knew Jaime was gonna go to battle he wasn't going to leave it to chance. Robert had only lost one minor battle, so it wasn't like everyone expected Rhaegar to easily crush Robert. 

How would Tywin have been forced to send men? He hadn't thus far in the war. And what was stopping Tywin attacking Kings Landing now that his son was not held hostage there?

And it is not like Aerys was lacking for numbers, they still had the Reach Lords in reserve and even without them still outnumbered the Rebels. The loyalists were not losing the war(or winning it) till the Trident, and the Trident could have gone either way. The Targs lost through arrogance and poor communication with their subordinates.

If Jaime was part of Rhaegar's force there is always the possibility of him dying. Jaime was loyal until Aerys tried to burn down kingslanding. In order to make sure Jaime survived, Tywin would send in his forces as well to give Rhaegar overwhelming numbers.  Tywin doesn't leave anything to chance. If Mace Tyrell had the wits God gives to rabbits, he would have sent some of that 50,000 men to the Trident, seeing as Stannis only had 500 men. 

I doubt that Tywin would suddenly hurry to solve Aerys' problems just because the latter put the former's son on the front lines quite the opposite. And if Jaime is with Rhaegar it would be a lot harder to keep him as a sort of hostage.

He wouldn't do it for Aerys sake, he would do it to protect his son and heir. Remember Jaime wanted to go, and to fight for the King, and do his duty as a kingsguard. 

Who would have been protecting the king if Jamie was at the trident? He didn't really trust anyone out of his Kingsguard and I thought he was holding Jamie close to him as a "hostage" against Tywin.

Jon Darry would have.

He was. Tywin loves Jaime, and this would basically be using Jaime as a hostage in a different way. If Jaime went to battle, Tywin knows theres always a chance he could die. Well Tywin is not the kind of guy to gamble, and would have sent troops to prevent Jaime from dying. 

If Aerys let Jaime out of KL and informing Tywin about it to get more men, I see Tyson sending some fast cavalry and snatching his die and bring him back to CR before he even gets close to the frontline.

Thats always a possibility. But Jaime wanted to go to the Trident. He's always been strong willed, and he's right next to the crown prince, who would be in the middle of the camp. Kind of hard to kidnap a dude who's in the middle of a 40,000 man camp. 

Jon Darry would have.

He was. Tywin loves Jaime, and this would basically be using Jaime as a hostage in a different way. If Jaime went to battle, Tywin knows theres always a chance he could die. Well Tywin is not the kind of guy to gamble, and would have sent troops to prevent Jaime from dying. 

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Tywin maybe felt it an insult and just said fuck you

Also whoever said mace was an idiot for not rushing a bunch of troops to the targs at the trident seems wrong to me. He didn't everythng right in that war to come out ok. Sure he may have gained favor one way or the other if he had picked a said but he hedged his bets. Smart move if you ask me. Considering they currently have the largest army and most food of any kingdom I would say it was a solid move.

If Jaime was part of Rhaegar's force there is always the possibility of him dying.

There is that possibility in every battle for both the losers and the winners. That is just part of medieval life, though Jaime would clearly be earmarked for capture by the rebels considering who his father was.

Despite the Rebels winning the battle of the Trident Lord Corbray died infront of his son and Mors Umbers two sons died, and so did many, many others.

Jaime was loyal until Aerys tried to burn down kingslanding.

Sure, no one was disputing that. But Aerys was a paranoid mess and was keeping Jaime close because he was scared of Tywin.

In order to make sure Jaime survived, Tywin would send in his forces as well to give Rhaegar overwhelming numbers.

And yet he didnt for most of the war. He ignored Aerys pleas for help.

Jon Darry and Barristan Selmy rode to Stoney Sept to rally what they could of griffins' men, and Prince Rhaegar returned from the south and persuaded his father to swallow his pride and summon my father. But no raven returned from Casterly Rock, and that made the king even more afraid.

Infact Tywin had no idea what side Jaime would take when he attacked Kings Landing and there was no way for Tywin to know that Jaime would not have been sent to the Trident to fight as other Kingsguard were sent.

Tywin doesn't leave anything to chance. If Mace Tyrell had the wits God gives to rabbits, he would have sent some of that 50,000 men to the Trident, seeing as Stannis only had 500 men.

How is that Maces fault? He is not the overall commander of the Royal forces, he is behind Aerys, Rhaegar and whoever was the Hand that day of the week. It was not his call to dictate where his troops went. Had Aerys and Rhaegar wanted some of those Reach thousands then they should have asked for them.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Tywin maybe felt it an insult and just said fuck you

Also whoever said mace was an idiot for not rushing a bunch of troops to the targs at the trident seems wrong to me. He didn't everythng right in that war to come out ok. Sure he may have gained favor one way or the other if he had picked a said but he hedged his bets. Smart move if you ask me. Considering they currently have the largest army and most food of any kingdom I would say it was a solid move.

No doubt Tywin would hate Aerys more than he already did. But Tywin would rather protect his son, rather than stick it to Aerys. Tywin's dream is Jaime as Lord of Casterly Rock, first and foremost. Then he wants Cersei to be Queen, and for Tyrion to somehow many a high lady and go far away. I wonder if Tyrion managed to marry Elia Martell, Lysa Tully etc, where would he and his wife live? Would Tywin give him a castle or something? 

Exactly. Tywin would have simply massacred King's Landing at that point. It doesn't matter who wins the Battle of the Trident, since if Rhaegar wins, he could say that he took the throne for him. If Robert wins, then he does the same. I think Robert and Ned would have tried to keep Jaime alive if they could to use him as leverage over Tywin, and I doubt Rhaegar would have Jaime killed for what was happening. This would have been foolish to let Jaime escape from him.

True but Tywin views Jaime as his heir, and he would do anything to protect him. If he knew Jaime was gonna go to battle he wasn't going to leave it to chance. Robert had only lost one minor battle, so it wasn't like everyone expected Rhaegar to easily crush Robert. 

As Aerys knew, Jaime was a highly valuable hostage. If Robert, Ned, and Jon Arryn knew Jaime was on the field, they would certainly tell their subordinates to capture him alive at almost all costs. Tywin would know this, and if anything just tip off Robert that his son was with them. Jaime would likely be the safest person on that battlefield if this were to happen. Either way, this scenario makes Tywin win. Rhaegar would not have put Jaime in the vanguard as Tywin did with Tyrion, regardless of what his father commanded him to do.

Archived