Will Melisandre burn Shireen?

Rickyhunt

In Mels POV she mentions having finger bones which I take to mean that she has Davos' missing finger bones. She's also left at CB with Shireen, Selyse, and Devan, Davos' son, who very unlike his father is a devout worshiper of R'hllor. Stannis would never kill Shireen as he values her life as his heir above his own. Selyse wouldn't allow her to be killed either partly because she is her mother but mostly because she would not defy her husband. Devan has no particular attachment to Shireen and is infatuated with Mel. So I'm thinking Mel puts a glamour on Devan to mimic Davos and the two convince Selyse that Stannis has ordered Shireen sacrificed for the greater good of the realm and the promise that R'hllor will ensure she conceives a son in lieu of her daughter. What comes after regarding the relationships between Mel, Stannis, Selyse, Davos, and Devan will be rich in drama I suspect.

I'm of the opinion that Mel will do it off her own bat, Maybe as am attempt to resurrect Jon after seeing something more clearly in her fires... Maybe... I dunno

That's the interesting part, I don't doubt that the reasons and circumstances for Shireen's death were completely changed by the show. Who will be involved in the burning? Who, if anybody, will command it? What will be the reasons and desired goals? Who will know about it?

And will it be connected to Stannis' death? Would Shireen's murder be devastating enough for Stannis to lose his drive and let himself be killed by his next adversary? If it is done to resurrect Jon, will Stannis fall fighting a resurrected Jon to avenge his daughter? 

Honestly I can imagine Selyse being happy to offer her daughter to the lord of light.She's completely devoted to Mel.

In general yes, but Selyse also cares about her only child as Stannis' heir as well as being their only child.  

I'm really hoping that Selyse offers herself as a sacrifice, on the basis of her family claiming descent from the old Gardener kings of the Reach.  Of course when that doesn't work, Mel will turn to Shireen and there will be no one there to protect her.

So OP, basically yes, and I expect Val to light the torch.  This is one of the reasons Jon had to be stabbed...he'd never let it happen, so he has to be out of commission to the extent that he is unaware what is happening or at the very least unable to stop it.  

I don't like the idea of "Stannis is too awesome to kill his own daughter" and "it will just be Mel".
If it came to it (and I suspect it will) Stannis would kill Shireen.

I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty ... If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark ... Sacrifice ... is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.

I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty.

I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning ... burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?

It doesn't matter if in winds he said [spoiler]If he died Shireen should be seated on the iron throne[/spoiler] What's the iron throne worth if the kingdom is destroyed? He believe he's Azor Ahai. So he believes he must save the seven kingdoms. And if he thinks that involves burning Shireen, then he'll carry out his "duty"

Balerion the Kitten@ While I am unsure whether Stannis would sacrifice Shireen, actually if the circumstanes were extreme enough (and I mean "the Others are taking over the world" extreme) he probably would, one of the main reasons that I doubt that Stannis will sacrifice her atleast in the forseeable future (and by then she would be dead) is logistical, after all he is down in Winterfell while she is in the relative safety of the Nightfort.

I feel like it's been pretty obvious since ADWD that Shireen is not long for the world, but I actually think it'd be more interesting if it ends up being the Wildlings who burn her as was suggested. 

Were it to be Melisandre though, I'd imagine she'd do it to bring back Jon. And then there's also the question of whether or not Stannis is involved in the decision

I don't like the idea of "Stannis is too awesome to kill his own daughter" and "it will just be Mel".
If it came to it (and I suspect it will) Stannis would kill Shireen.
It doesn't matter if in winds he said [spoiler]If he died Shireen should be seated on the iron throne[/spoiler] What's the iron throne worth if the kingdom is destroyed? He believe he's Azor Ahai. So he believes he must save the seven kingdoms. And if he thinks that involves burning Shireen, then he'll carry out his "duty"

While I definitely understand this reasoning I disagree that Stannis believes he's Azor Ahai.

Stannis does, however, acknowledge that R'hllor has tangible power, which is why I think under truly desperate circumstances (read: not "20 Good Men burned my food") it would not be entirely out of the cards for Stannis to burn Shireen. However, it'd really have to be the difference between the survival of the entire realm, like the incurring invasion of The Others or something. It wouldn't make sense for Stannis to burn his only heir for any other reason.

Val? Interesting can you elaborate on that? Would she work with Mellisandre to get Jon back? Possibly because she still thinks he has stolen her?  

No, she just thinks Shireen is a greyscale epidemic waiting to happen and has made comments about how the girl should have been killed before.

If she thought it would save Jon that would be an extra.

[mod]  Just a reminder that discussion of the show, mentioning who dies in the show, and talking about divergences in the way the show handles things from the books are not allowed in this forum.   Take that discussion over to the GoT sections.  Thank you.   [/mod]

Archived