Power of the faith militant

Muffin King

(F)aegon won't share his extremist views, and surely doesn't like the Faith Militant existing again.

High Sparrow probably won't like someone of the Targaryen family (incest). Maybe he doesn't even believe he's real.

The Faith Militant seems to be growing. I guess they're thousands, but still mostly smallfolk, and not with the best armor and weapons.

Then again, they're the only force that's growing. They'll play some role in the future. Mostly just adding to the chaos.

(F)aegon won't share his extremist views, and surely doesn't like the Faith Militant existing again.
High Sparrow probably won't like someone of the Targaryen family (incest). Maybe he doesn't even believe he's real.

The Faith Militant seems to be growing. I guess they're thousands, but still mostly smallfolk, and not with the best armor and weapons.
Then again, they're the only force that's growing. They'll play some role in the future. Mostly just adding to the chaos.

Well, how extreme is the High Sparrow really? By Westerosi standards, the High Sparrow is positively sane. Keep in mind that the crazy actions of the High Sparrow in the show (smashing up the brothels, murdering gay prostitutes) were embellishments by the show.
Let's Look at the Actual Actions of the Sparrows:
1. Carrying out a Coup Putting the High Sparrow in Power- A bit violent, but the Election process is horribly corrupt. The Sparrows merely understood that the High Septon would ignore them.
2. The Arrests of Several Members of the Most Devout- The Most Devout are horribly corrupt. In Westeros, this sort of thing would be done to an unruly or corrupt bannerman if the Lord thought his bannermen were undermining his authority. Really, the High Sparrow's actions here remind me of Stannis.
3. Arresting Cersei- The High Sparrow is acting as an authority of the Courts of the Faith. He was acting within his rights as the High Septon. More importantly, can anyone seriously say that the High Sparrow does not have a good case? When is it extreme to arrest someone for something they are guilty of?

Personally, I think that the High Sparrow is a very misunderstood character. (The gay-bashing was purely brought in by the show.) Is he a misogynist? Sure. But this is Westeros. Outside of Dorne, that is the rule, not the exception. Admittedly, the High Sparrow does rub us the wrong way with our modern sensibilities. But perhaps that is the point. George RR Martin has shown repeatedly that Westerosi society is very different from ours. There was not going to be some sort of Westerosi Spring bringing democracy to Westeros. Any action by the people was going to be in traditional channels. The Faith Militant is one such channel. The question is whether or not the final ruler of the Iron Throne will be able to make peace with the Faith.

Well, how extreme is the High Sparrow really? By Westerosi standards, the High Sparrow is positively sane. Keep in mind that the crazy actions of the High Sparrow in the show (smashing up the brothels, murdering gay prostitutes) were embellishments by the show.
Let's Look at the Actual Actions of the Sparrows:
1. Carrying out a Coup Putting the High Sparrow in Power- A bit violent, but the Election process is horribly corrupt. The Sparrows merely understood that the High Septon would ignore them.
2. The Arrests of Several Members of the Most Devout- The Most Devout are horribly corrupt. In Westeros, this sort of thing would be done to an unruly or corrupt bannerman if the Lord thought his bannermen were undermining his authority. Really, the High Sparrow's actions here remind me of Stannis.
3. Arresting Cersei- The High Sparrow is acting as an authority of the Courts of the Faith. He was acting within his rights as the High Septon. More importantly, can anyone seriously say that the High Sparrow does not have a good case? When is it extreme to arrest someone for something they are guilty of?

Personally, I think that the High Sparrow is a very misunderstood character. (The gay-bashing was purely brought in by the show.) Is he a misogynist? Sure. But this is Westeros. Outside of Dorne, that is the rule, not the exception. Admittedly, the High Sparrow does rub us the wrong way with our modern sensibilities. But perhaps that is the point. George RR Martin has shown repeatedly that Westerosi society is very different from ours. There was not going to be some sort of Westerosi Spring bringing democracy to Westeros. Any action by the people was going to be in traditional channels. The Faith Militant is one such channel. The question is whether or not the final ruler of the Iron Throne will be able to make peace with the Faith.

:agree:

My thoughts exactly. 

I'm confident that the High Sparrow is a champion of the small folk and has their interested at heart.

I'm not sure if he is as "devout" as he claims/seems. Does he punish Cercei out of religious zeal, or is he using some of the rules to play politics. Or maybe both.  :dunno:

So how powerful is the faith militant now? Like in numbers how powerful do you think they are? And will the high sparrow play a pivotal role in upcoming battles? Could he perhaps crown (f)aegon?

Not much. They main strength is in legality of HS actions. Because there are just enough of them, to transform killing them into slaughter.

+-5k.

In battles? No. He is playing game of thrones, not fighting anything. Even FM is used not for actual war, but signify his strength.

No he could not. He is not part of Varys conspiracy.

If they tried to join actual battle with a real army (Randyll Tarly for instance) they'd be annihilated. Without training they would not form good enough battle field formations in quick enough time. So archers or cavalry would destroy them.

They do have some well trained knights but not enough of them to make much difference in large scale battles.

Their main strength just now is that there is enough of them that they can't really be wiped out without mass slaughter. This could well cause riots and looting of the smallfolk at large. A general uprising over the land.

The way to deal with them will be to kill their leaders or meet them in small battle if and when possible. If one army destroys another army on the battle field then it's war. If soldiers attack them on the streets though then it becomes slaughter.

The Faith can't make someone King. They can't just pick someone off the street and decide that person is now King of the Seven Kingdoms. But if Aegon wins the throne through conquest then the Faith will crown him.

While the fighting is happening the Faith can preach on one side or another and this could persuade some lords to back one candidate over another. This is risky though as if the side that you didn't back wins then you're out of a job and lucky if you keep your head.

I know the OP was a question of strength of numbers but I believe the Faith Militant's real power is their religious/political power. At this point the HS commands a mixed bag of poorly trained and armed adherents and a handful of knights. His true power is over the hearts and minds of the populace in KL. A mob upraising coupled with his own forces in response to any attack against him makes him a formidable force and the nobles who don't like him know that.  

There is no POV in the books but I believe Feast has some references to the FM trashing some brothels in the city somewhere. Just before Cersei's arrest, IRRC, doesn't she tell one of his representatives in court that the raids are to stop because brothels provide a valuable public service?

There is no talk of outright killings, but my impression is that the FM are out and about purging the city of sin. They won't have the support of the smallfolk in King's Landing for much longer if they keep it up.

Enough to turn any battle inside KL into a bloodbath and a dark stain on the winner's vest (which would be anybody else). That's it. A PR nightmare to extinguish, but in no way a credible military force.

This at the moment. The number of Sparrows and the Faith Militant however his growing everyday.

If they actually act militarily, rather than just being a deterrent to prevent someone from stopping the HS's political interference, , it will most likely just be forcing open some of the gates for Aegon's army. They have enough strength for that, and if they do so, there goes Mace's force multiplier.

I think that the Faith Militant's true power lies when they are bottled up within King's Landing - the gold cloaks aren't enough to handle them. If they where to meet any true military strength in the open field, they would be slaughtered and scatter. The Warriors Son's are a different story but i don't know how much information we have about them to go off. I think if some terrible city-wide catastrophe takes place, then it will deal a pretty huge blow to the FM. If King's landing where to catch alight...

The faith militant right now only has a few hundred knights and a few thousand peasants. However it could continue to grow like a cancer. If the holy hundred and devout houses join, it might one day even overthrow the monarchy in favor of a theocracy. 

Archived