What happened between Rhaenyra and Cole?

purple-eyes

They seem to have a quite romantic relationship since very young age of Rhaenyra.
He crowned her and she favored him. This lasted for a very long time.
Rhaenyra did not take any lover during this time.
Then somehow Daemon came back and seduced his niece.
One version they fell in love and were caught in bed and rhaenyra begged to wed her uncle.
One version Daemon taught her how to seduce Cole and she kept her maidenhead for Cole.
Then daemon was sent away.
Then Rhaenyra needed to marry a gay.
Then the night before the wedding something happened between Cole and rhaenyra. Suddenly Cole was totally mad at her.
Then on the wedding he badly attacked rhaenyra's lover and also her gay husband's lover.
So confusing. What exactly happened?
It sounds more likely to me that rhaenyra rejected the invitation of eloping before wedding night. But it sounds quite silly to ask her to run off because she is the crown princess and she would surely not run off. And also what is the point to kill the lover of her gay husband? This does not sound like a revenge to her, more like a help?

They were in love at one point.  That at least seems to be without doubt.

As to the rest, it's mostly conjecture.

It's possible that Daemon claimed he was teaching her how to seduce Criston but actually seduced her himself. That would not make Criston happy.

Later when she actually married Daemon, that would have really pissed Criston off!  If he'd remotely convinced himself that the earlier thing wasn't her fault and that Daemon had taken advantage of her, at this point he has to admit that she is freely choosing to bind herself to Daemon.  

She might have liked him but not enough to actually lose her crown for him.

My money is on the chance that he did want to run off with her but not stay in exile forever. He was hoping that Viserys' well known soft spot for his daughter would finally convince the king to reinstate her as his heir, IMO. And when it didn't work out, he lost both the beautiful girl and his hopes for climbing to the second highest seat in the Seven Kingdoms.

The "caught in bed with Daemon" part looks more like rumours aimed at both Rhaenyra and Daemon who were no friends to Alicent, IMO. Rhaenyra was certainly quick to look at Harwin Strong.

She might have liked him but not enough to actually lose her crown for him.

My money is on the chance that he did want to run off with her but not stay in exile forever. He was hoping that Viserys' well known soft spot for his daughter would finally convince the king to reinstate her as his heir, IMO. And when it didn't work out, he lost both the beautiful girl and his hopes for climbing to the second highest seat in the Seven Kingdoms.

The "caught in bed with Daemon" part looks more like rumours aimed at both Rhaenyra and Daemon who were no friends to Alicent, IMO. Rhaenyra was certainly quick to look at Harwin Strong.

Her dad may pardon his daughter but no doubt would heavily punish Cole or even kill him. He not only get his daughter but also betray his KG vow. I guess if he offered her to elope, he really means to leave forever.
For daemon, I am also confused, it sounds like he seduce her for the power. But he was indeed faithful to her and also cared about her sons with strong.

Her dad may pardon his daughter but no doubt would heavily punish Cole or even kill him. He not only get his daughter but also betray his KG vow. I guess if he offered her to elope, he really means to leave forever.
For daemon, I am also confused, it sounds like he seduce her for the power. But he was indeed faithful to her and also cared about her sons with strong.

Uh, no he wasn't.  It was one of his mistresses who is thought to be to blame for the Blood and Cheese incident.  And it was suspected that he and Nettles were having a fling too.

Daemon likely wanted Rhaenyra because she was gorgeous in her youth.  Power may or may not have been his thing.  The two of them were banished from court for a while because Viserys was so furious that they got married without his permission, and likely if they'd asked he would have said "Hell no!"

I don't see any reason to imagine that Criston ever asked Rhaenyra to elope.  He joined the KG, he said the vows.  He might have wanted to do the courtly love thing and then been disillusioned that his lovely and virtuous lady turned out not to be so virtuous after all.  His actions in the Dance certainly seem motivated by something other than just thinking Aegon would be better for Westeros.  That there was personal.

I don't see any reason to imagine that Criston ever asked Rhaenyra to elope.  He joined the KG, he said the vows.  He might have wanted to do the courtly love thing and then been disillusioned that his lovely and virtuous lady turned out not to be so virtuous after all.  His actions in the Dance certainly seem motivated by something other than just thinking Aegon would be better for Westeros.  That there was personal.

Maybe he indeed asked her to elope, then he was refused. So he felt insulted and angry so he turned against her immediately. 

But yeah, I personally think the situation is more like this:

Cole held rhaenyra as his lovely and innocent princess. 

Then Rhaenyra was seduced by Daemon to learn how to seduce Cole. Cole was angry for this.

Then Rhaenyra went to Cole to offer herself but was rejected. Then she did not want to give her maidenhead to a gay so she immediately turned to Strong. So Cole was even more angry.   

Uh, no he wasn't.  It was one of his mistresses who is thought to be to blame for the Blood and Cheese incident.  And it was suspected that he and Nettles were having a fling too.

That one was the same one before Rhaenyra, right? Mysaria? a dancer in KL. Not a new one. 

Daemon did not have any recorded lover or bastard after he married Rhaenyra (except the rumored Netty before his death).

I guess if your wife is a ruling queen, you have to be really careful about your personal life. :)

That one was the same one before Rhaenyra, right? Mysaria? a dancer in KL. Not a new one. 

Daemon did not have any recorded lover or bastard after he married Rhaenyra (except the rumored Netty before his death).

I guess if your wife is a ruling queen, you have to be really careful about your personal life. :)

Apparently it was. I had that wrong.

I think this is one of these cases with no answer.

They once were close, afterward Cole hates her. Daemon is somehow involved. This is basically all we know.

There are several ways suggested to connect these dots and we aren't supposed to know which is 'correct'.

I'm not even sure GRRM has decided on one of them. Some things in history are supposed to be unknowable. 

Mushrooms claims have to be false.
Daemon wanted Rhaenyra. Because she was beautiful, and she could make him king (or prince consort - close enough) like he wanted. Helping her get into bed with another man isn't the way to go about this. Most likely he seduced her.

They had a messy breakup, much like me and my ex girlfriend. The difference being that I didn't cause a civil war to get back at her (though I was sorely tempted)

:lol:

Of the 2 positions offered, the only 1 that makes sense is that Cole threw himself at Rhaenyra and she rejected him.  Cole did not attack her husbands gay lover, he was killed some time later and we do not know exactly who did it, but my money would be on the Hightowers.

He did injure her husband's gay lover, which led to his death after six days. 

I believed that there was strong love between Rhaenyra and Cole for sure.

If she was not, then there was no reason for him to ask her to elope with him before her wedding night. 

Suppose Rhaenyra loved Daemon, was captured in bed with him and then begged to marry him, Cole as her personal guard must know this woman did not love him so how could he decide to ask her to run off with him? Obviously she would reject him. 

Mushroom's tale made a little bit more sense IMHO. 

Daemon seduced her using helping her get Cole as an excuse to have intimate relationship with her. So that he could ruin her reputation and force his brother to marry her to himself. Cole was angry about this then refused Rhaenyra when she offered herself to him. Then rhaenyra was angry and immediately turned to Strong. Strong is the person who claimed her maidenhead that night, I believe.   

Nights Kings Queen

Hopefully, Mushroom's claims are false.  If true, it would mean that the young Rhaenyra was repeatedly sexually abused by two men she loved and trusted.

Why two? If Mushroom was true, then only Daemon abused her.

Cole did not do anything wrong in this case.  

Mushrooms claims have to be false.
Daemon wanted Rhaenyra. Because she was beautiful, and she could make him king (or prince consort - close enough) like he wanted. Helping her get into bed with another man isn't the way to go about this. Most likely he seduced her. :lol:

I think it is possible that Daemon wanted to have an intimate relationship with Rhaenyra but she just admired him as an uncle at that moment because she was into Cole. So daemon used "teaching" as an excuse to persuade her to have physical relationship with him. He wanted to ruin her reputation by this and marry her for the power.  

Sex happened. Things deteriorate like that due to sex, mostly of the times.

btw, I happen to like Daemon, but come on... Viserys rules.

"I fucked your daughter. Give her to me"
"She's still my heir... go fuck yourself".

Although, I doubt the whole "seduction" thing is true. It makes her sound like she's some shy maiden victim. I'm sure she was not. It's more likely she and Daemon got hot consensual dragon monkey sex and they thought Viserys would approve of their marriage because of this. Cole thought her "stained" by the Roguish Dick (literally) and got mad.

Archived