Starks and Valyrian steel

Nordahl iceskin

We don't 100% know that dragonfire is used to forge Valyrian Steel. That said, yeah it probably is.  We do know for sure that spells are involved, and probably blood too.  All Valyrian sorcery is rooted in fire and blood.

That line there is just beautiful!  Nicely done.  GRRM says his titles have multiple meanings, and this may be one of them.

What's your take on the original Ice, greatsword of House Stark?  Think that plays into this at all?

From the man Himself

Ice is a greatsword of Valyrian Steel. Valyrian Steel, manufactured in the Freehold of Valyria with dragonfire before the Freehold fell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcEwfBnRGI

I remember a theory that popped up on another thread (can't remember it to link sorry).
Anyway a poster came up with the idea that the first 'ice' was literally ice. A weapon like those wielded by the others.

Yep that's one of the theories.  Another holds that the original Ice was actually Dawn.  Either Dawn never existed, or the two swords were switched and the true Ice sent south for safekeeping.  Another option is that Ice was renamed and sent south for safekeeping.  

If Dawn and Ice were switched, one of them is likely the sword of The Great Other.

The swords are a lot of fun to speculate on, thanks for the topic.   One small observation of the OP.  Theon's mother's family, the Harllaws, have the VS Nightfall. Now it's interesting to note that the Lannisters had Brightroar and lost it.  They made several attempts to purchase other swords, to no avail.   Even broke Lyn Corbray won't let go of Lady Forlorn when he will do anything and everything to make a buck.   So they simply steal Ice from a man they name traitor and have it worked into 2 new swords for their house or houses, since Joff and Tommen are technically Baratheons.   This act speaks volumes about the Lannisters, but what does it say about the Starks?   How come Stannis hasn't weighed in on Widow's Wail, since that is technically, the Baratheon sword?   As I understood it, ancestral swords are not necessarily the same thing as Valyrian Swords and Ice is referred to as an ancestral sword early in GOT.   Next strange occurrence:   The Starks get a VS replacement for their lost ancestral Ice, but the Lannisters do not?   Granted, the Stark ancestral sword was lost several hundred years ago and Brightroar was lost within the last say 25 years.   Then there is Dawn, made of meteorite matter, which is a whole other thing.   Yes, I think the VS names are very important, even the lost swords.  There are 12 VS swords in Westeros, Dawn and ancestral Ice, which some believe really was made of ice.   As I see it, the Starks have no sword now, but their bastard has Long Claw.   I hope Brienne keeps the Lannister sword (Oathkeeper) in the end.  After all the scheming and conniving the Lannisters need to make a contribution to helping for a change.  Oathkeeper by name, belongs with Brienne.  

Archived