ASoIaF aftermath

Scootaloo Stark

Do you think Martin will ever be able to put ASoIaF behind himself?

There are so many characters with detailed lives and personalities. And when the last book ends, their lives don't. (at least not all of them  :D)

I'm sure he cares for his characters, and loves planning out their lives. I would if I were him. But I also wouldn't just stop because the books ended.

JK Rowling continued to imagine Harry's, Ron's and everyone else's lives for the next decades. Who they marry, what they do, etc.

And she published that stuff on her website.

Will Martin do the same? I can't imagine him not knowing/thinking about what (for example) Arya's gonna do in the next years after the books end.

And I'm sure the fans will continue to ask him about it. Or take it in their own hands with fanfiction  :ack:.

But if he does continue, wouldn't that mean it never ends? Wouldn't that be kinda bad?

I think he will continue to write about Westeros and stories set in the world, but I think it will be of a episodic nature, maybe to delve into some of the backstory/history of the world, in a similar manner to what he's been doing with his other writings set in world, like the Dunk and Egg stories, The Rogue Prince and The Princess and the Queen. He could also write the accounts of "offstage" events we hear about in the books (Robb's Westerland Campaign), or detailed stories of what happened to those characters that kinda drop out of the story and never come back (Stonesnake comes to mind).

I think he's probably grown tired of the setting, and once he's wrapped up his planned D&E stories he won't return to the setting, or if he does, it will just be occasionally to do a single short story for a collection or something like that.  GRRM has a LONG history of writing stories within a shared universe, and he's written far more outside of the ASoIaF setting than in.

I would like to see a Wild Cards/ASoIaF crossover, though, that would be awesome.  A battle of the pimps between Littlefinger and Fortunato would rock.

For some reason, the idea of Jon Stark becoming a king and warging Drogon and leading White Walker army across Narrow Sea to conquer Braavos,destroy Iron Bank and Faceless Men and keep conquering East and recreating the new version of Great Empire of Dawn or Valyria seems epic.

Dany,his Queen,will die giving a birth to their heir, so Jon will leave Sansa in the capital Harrenhal as acting Queen Regent with Arya as mistress of whisperers to deal with Westeros' internal politics.

As King of Westeros, he will summon White Walkers,mount and warg Drogon and take his crew of next-gen lords with him to war,bonding with his future lords,resembling something like Ninepenny Kings War with friendships forming between Jon Arryn,Steffon Baratheon,Rickard Stark,Tywin Lannister,Hoster Tully,Quellon Greyjoy,etc. during war time.

Lord Gendry Baratheon (new legitimized lord of Storm's End and Arya's romantic interest plus the main general of royal army,which includes former Brotherhood without Banners high ranking officers).

Lord Samwell Tarly (new Lord Paramount of the Reach and Grand Maester of new Citadel in Harrenhal,the old one got burned by Dany), king Jon's old friend.

Young lord Robert Arryn (Lord of the Vale, who is growing into powerful lord unlike how he was growing up all sick and weak). His telepathic abilities are notch lower than that of king's brother, an Old God, Bran Stark.

Oh,and Brienne of Tarth will be the new Lady
Commander of Jon's Kingsguard,like her ancestor Duncan the Tall was to Aegon V.

I know,dreaming,but I would read that story. Maybe Jon even dies in the whole campaign, :P

GRRM has said multiple times, from the early 2000s to last year, that he has other stories he wants to write in the world of ASoIaF a century or more away,1 or in other parts of the world. I think this means he's gotten caught up in the worldbuilding as much as the characters, contrary to his original expectations.

World-changing epics are pretty hard to follow up on. When you write a series where the entire world is threatened every year but nothing radically changes (like Harry Potter), or where everything changes so often that it's just the normal order of things (like Discworld, or the Brentford Trilogy), it's not hard to keep going. But when you're writing the climax to a war 8000 years in coming, it's a little harder. Part of the reason Tolkien abandoned his LotR sequel was that a Fourth Age setting isn't really a Middle Earth setting anymore, and if you want to write a generic historical thriller, there's no reason to use that setting. And I think the same may be true of a post-War-for-the-Dawn Westeros setting.

So, every time he has an itch to see what Arya's up to at 25, it may well quickly turn into an itch to explore the war between Volantis and the Three Daughters, with a pre-conquest Aegon and a whole bunch of other characters whose names we've never heard before. Or maybe even to write a quasi-Lovecraftian2 story about the original doom of Yeen. And if he wants to write that instead, more power to him; I'll be happy to read it. But if he wants to check in on Arya instead, of course I'd be happy to read that too.

1 I assume that means a century or more away from D&E and TRP/TPatQ/F&B, because otherwise he's already doing that...

2 As in something like Robert E. Howard or Clark Ashton Smith when they injected Lovecraftian elements into their pre-historical stories, not something that Lovecraft himself wrote.

GRRM has said multiple times, from the early 2000s to last year, that he has other stories he wants to write in the world of ASoIaF a century or more away,1 or in other parts of the world. I think this means he's gotten caught up in the worldbuilding as much as the characters, contrary to his original expectations.

World-changing epics are pretty hard to follow up on. When you write a series where the entire world is threatened every year but nothing radically changes (like Harry Potter), or where everything changes so often that it's just the normal order of things (like Discworld, or the Brentford Trilogy), it's not hard to keep going. But when you're writing the climax to a war 8000 years in coming, it's a little harder. Part of the reason Tolkien abandoned his LotR sequel was that a Fourth Age setting isn't really a Middle Earth setting anymore, and if you want to write a generic historical thriller, there's no reason to use that setting. And I think the same may be true of a post-War-for-the-Dawn Westeros setting.

So, every time he has an itch to see what Arya's up to at 25, it may well quickly turn into an itch to explore the war between Volantis and the Three Daughters, with a pre-conquest Aegon and a whole bunch of other characters whose names we've never heard before. Or maybe even to write a quasi-Lovecraftian2 story about the original doom of Yeen. And if he wants to write that instead, more power to him; I'll be happy to read it. But if he wants to check in on Arya instead, of course I'd be happy to read that too.

1 I assume that means a century or more away from D&E and TRP/TPatQ/F&B, because otherwise he's already doing that...

2 As in something like Robert E. Howard or Clark Ashton Smith when they injected Lovecraftian elements into their pre-historical stories, not something that Lovecraft himself wrote.

Well he has accepted he will never write anything on the scale of ASOIAF again, which I take to mean he won't write anything as long or tell a story quite as big. So considering he isn't intending to write anymore "fate of the world in the balance" type epics it wouldn't be hard for him to write a story some time in the past or present covering another aspect of the world he has made.

I agree that it will lose a bit of what makes it a good story if the Others and the great houses of Westeros are excluded, but there are plenty of parts of the world for him to expand upon that could be worthwhile.

Archived