Who sent Davos to Storms End?

BloodWood

Was pondering about Davos (one of my favorite characters) and realized I don't recall any details in the book, even after my re-read, about why Davos brought supplies to Storms End during the siege in the first place. There doesn't seem to be a personal motive, and I can't see him doing it just out of the goodness of his heart. The risk of sailing in there was very high, with no guarantee he would make it in, or ever make it back out alive. Davos is a superior shiphandler, and brave in his way, but he is also cautious and does not see much worth in unnecessary risk. I don't see him as being a particularly adventurous smuggler. In fact, being inconspicuous would have been a valuable skill for him.

To me that implies he was commissioned to make the run. But I can't figure who would have hired him. This seems to be an important missing detail in Davos' story arc.

Alternate possibility could be that word was spread that if anyone could get through the blockade there would be a reward - a knighthood, perhaps. At that point in time Davos would have been in the middle of starting his family, and perhaps their security was becoming what was most important for him. Thus, the high risk could be worth the reward.

Couldn't find any threads discussing the topic, or mention of it in Davos threads. If I'm missing something please let me know!

I think Davos was just exploiting a good opportunity to raise his station. He already had a wife and kids at this point, and probably wanted to make a good life for them. Coming to help a powerful family in great need is the way to do that.

GRRM had already said that Davos was simply expecting good pay. He did not anticipate how Stannis would reward him (removing 4 finger tips, and any taint of his past life with them.. alongside knighthood, captainship of a war galley, a keep and lands to sustain him), nor did he do it out of some altruistic urge (as seen in the History and Lore video). 

Quote from the interview:

During Robert's rebellion, what brought a simple smuggler like Davos to take sides in the war by helping Stannis and the starving garrison at Storm's End?

(George laughs) Because he had onions! And so he thought to himself: "Where can I sell these at the best price? If I take them to King's Landing they'll pay me the price of onions, but i I take them to people duing of hunger they'd certainly pay me better."

Ok, so that makes sense. Just seems curious that it was not laid out in the books (at least I can't find it there.)

Archived