Sandor's Missing Dragons

Annarkie

So Sandor Clegane won 40,000 golden dragons in the Hand's Tourney. Though I'm sure he spent some before , it seems odd that after he left King's Landing he only had 9000 dragons, which were taken away by the Brotherhood Without Banners. 

So, what did he do with the other 31,000 Dragons?

I've heard speculations that he bought Stranger after the tourney, but that seems steep even for a horse.

So Sandor Clegane won 40,000 golden dragons in the Hand's Tourney. Though I'm sure he spent some before , it seems odd that after he left King's Landing he only had 9000 dragons, which were taken away by the Brotherhood Without Banners. 

I've heard speculations that he bought Stranger after the tourney, but that seems steep even for a horse.

Personally, I think it's just an error on GRRM's part. Other plausible theories might be he spent the money on wine and on hookers with auburn hair. LOL.

Also, 31,000 would likely be comparable to several million dollars or pounds in today's money. If he did spend on Stranger, that was one expensive horse.

Pissing away 31k gold coins during wartime inflation is easy to explain. But what about the 9k we have accounted for? Did he stuff 'em into his pockets? We're talking at least a few hundred pounds. Sandor would have required chests mounted on a couple of pack animals.

Ok, it's not easy to explain but hopefully you get what I'm driving at.

That's what I suspected, but it's still fun to speculate. Besides, hidden treasure is one of the few things we haven't gotten in this series. And I do so love that trope. :D

You can sort of explain some of it and say he partied hard then bought a new horse, weaponry and armour but unless he was betting thousands on underground boxing it's just a mistake.

Hahahaha.  Yes, i wrote this same question about a year ago, when i first joined this forum, specifically cuz i needed that answer.  The answer i got from everyone here back then was "GRRM has said publically it was a mistake and that the corrected amount he won is closer to 10% of that."

Cuz, yeah.  That's enough to purchase an island.  Or a minor lordship, or a really nice trading vessel.  Or, enough to work the tournament circuit the rest of his life, whoring as he went.

You can sort of explain some of it and say he partied hard then bought a new horse, weaponry and armour but unless he was betting thousands on underground boxing it's just a mistake.

Sandor got a couple of bucks in his pocket and thought he was Tyrion Lannister. That's why he blew through so much money.

Hahahaha.  Yes, i wrote this same question about a year ago, when i first joined this forum, specifically cuz i needed that answer.  The answer i got from everyone here back then was "GRRM has said publically it was a mistake and that the corrected amount he won is closer to 10% of that."

Cuz, yeah.  That's enough to purchase an island.  Or a minor lordship, or a really nice trading vessel.  Or, enough to work the tournament circuit the rest of his life, whoring as he went.

Minor lordship he could buy enough sellswords to conquer the North or wipe out slavery.

The enormous tourney prizes were clearly a mistake on GRRM's part. Even ten times less is still way too much according to what we hear about the worth of one dragon later on. You wouldn't be able to spend it on whores and drinks in thousand years. 40, 000 silver coins would make more sense. 

The BwB should be able to buy half of the realm since they got the winnings from Sandor, Anguy and Thoros.

The enormous tourney prizes were clearly a mistake on GRRM's part. Even ten times less is still way too much according to what we hear about the worth of one dragon later on. You wouldn't be able to spend it on whores and drinks in thousand years. 40, 000 silver coins would make more sense. 

The BwB should be able to buy half of the realm since they got the winnings from Sandor, Anguy and Thoros.

but Anguy lost all his money on prostitutes (I wonder if they scammed him?) Maybe the same happened with Sandor and Thoros.

A prostitute costing 1 silver is considered rare by tyrion so unless Anguy was sleeping with the queen for 1000 gold a night nope.

but he said so himself in the ASoS. I mean, I agree GRRM forgot about how much money the prize was, but Anguy is a commoner from the Marches, he probably got lost in all attractions of the capital, I guess the merchants and prostitutes could've scammed him easily. It is kinda sad.

Archived