Sandor's Missing Dragons

Annarkie

Personally, I think it's just an error on GRRM's part. Other plausible theories might be he spent the money on wine and on hookers with auburn hair. LOL.

Also, 31,000 would likely be comparable to several million dollars or pounds in today's money. If he did spend on Stranger, that was one expensive horse.

Yup, wine and ginger hookers and EVERY F*CKING CHICKEN in KL.  :laugh:

Pissing away 31k gold coins during wartime inflation is easy to explain. But what about the 9k we have accounted for? Did he stuff 'em into his pockets? We're talking at least a few hundred pounds. Sandor would have required chests mounted on a couple of pack animals.

Ok, it's not easy to explain but hopefully you get what I'm driving at.

Not sure why I see people keep saying this.

In our world 9000 gold coins would only weigh something like 60 lbs or 150 lbs depending on the size of the coin.

It looks to me that a Kuggerrand is worth over $1,000. So, we should expect 31,000 gold dragons to have the same purchasing power as $30,000,000 to $35,000,000.

Now, don't forget this is from the same dude that gave us an artificial wall of ice 28 times the highest stretch of the Great Wall of China and a pyramid nine times the size of the Great Pyramid of Giza. Apparently the Hightower is at least twice as tall as the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Not sure why I see people keep saying this.

In our world 9000 gold coins would only weigh something like 60 lbs or 150 lbs depending on the size of the coin.

A Kuggerrand is just over an ounce. 9,000 ounces is over 560 pounds. A roll of quarters weighs half a pound. 9,000 quarters would weigh a little over 100 pounds. I doubt those gold dragons are as small as quarters, but let's say Sandor only had 150 pounds of wee gold pieces. His full suit of plate armor and weapons would have been another 100 pounds, and Sandor himself must have weighed at least 200 pounds. I know Stranger was an ass kickin horse, but how much weight do you suppose the beast could carry? 450 pounds? I don't think so. Even 100 pounds of itty bitty gold coins would haveen too much.

A Kuggerrand is just over an ounce. 9,000 ounces is over 560 pounds. A roll of quarters weighs half a pound. 9,000 quarters would weigh a little over 100 pounds. I doubt those gold dragons are as small as quarters, but let's say Sandor only had 150 pounds of wee gold pieces. His full suit of plate armor and weapons would have been another 100 pounds, and Sandor himself must have weighed at least 200 pounds. I know Stranger was an ass kickin horse, but how much weight do you suppose the beast could carry? 450 pounds? I don't think so. Even 100 pounds of itty bitty gold coins would haveen too much.

GRRM does not tell us the weight or gold content of the dragons. They could be a lot smaller than the modern 1 troy ounce coins. For example the Roman solidus contained around 4.5 grams of gold (~0.14 troy ounces). Then 9000 coins would weight 40.5kg (~89 pounds).

There are examples of even lighter gold coins (the USA Gold dollar for example at 1.6 grams). Then Sandor would be carrying 14.4kg (~31.7 pounds) of gold coins

GRRM does not tell us the weight or gold content of the dragons. They could be a lot smaller than the modern 1 troy ounce coins. For example the Roman solidus contained around 4.5 grams of gold (~0.14 troy ounces). Then 9000 coins would weight 40.5kg (~89 pounds).
There are examples of even lighter gold coins (the USA Gold dollar for example at 1.6 grams). Then Sandor would be carrying 14.4kg (~31.7 pounds) of gold coins

I guess something less than fifty lbs would be ok, but even that on one horse would be a problem for a man like Sandor. Between his body, saddle, armor, and weapons, dude has to be putting 300 lbs on that horse, which should be the upper limit. But what if he has to flee? What if he has to travel uphill or over rough terrain? And what if those coins weigh an ounce or even half an ounce each?

I guess something less than fifty lbs would be ok, but even that on one horse would be a problem for a man like Sandor. Between his body, saddle, armor, and weapons, dude has to be putting 300 lbs on that horse, which should be the upper limit. But what if he has to flee? What if he has to travel uphill or over rough terrain? And what if those coins weigh an ounce or even half an ounce each?

The strength and speed of horses is another area where GRRM doesn't make much sense. ASOIAF horses have to be a lot stronger and faster than in real life to explain travel times and how many horses each knight uses.

The strength and speed of horses is another area where GRRM doesn't make much sense. ASOIAF horses have to be a lot stronger and faster than in real life to explain travel times and how many horses each knight uses.

Those Mallister Horses are the ones I would want.

Archived