Has anyone read The Way of Kings yet?

Colton Casados-Medve

I just picked up The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson in hardback. Its the first installment in a planned ten-book series by the guy who finished off the Wheel of Time series. I'm really excited to delve into this world because it looks like he truly put a lot of effort into the worldbuilding and current reviews of the first book say it really is more of a huge worldbuilding volume than a plot advancing one. 

Anyone else read it and have thoughts? Avoid spoilers please, as I have not actually started it yet. 

I enjoyed the characters and world-building, though I did find Kaladin's chapters far too long and with too little action. I did, however really enjoy Shallan's storyline. I feel like you could probably skip every other Kaladin chapter and not miss much. The ending was quite good, and well worth the wait. Just be patient and you should enjoy it like I did.

I absolutely loved The Way of Kings! Never thought it had any boring parts. Slow, yes, but I still found myself completly engrosed with the story and the world. I believe the overall pacing was great, it's the kind of pacing I think works the best with fantasy (starts slow but picks up steam as it goes). Haven't started the second one yet but I'm extremely excited about it.

I don't know how to describe it, but the book has "Star Warsy" feel that works so great. If the rest of the series keeps up with the same quality this series is going to be among my own personal favorites

I read it but found the way they used the word "storm" obnoxiously similar to the use of "smurf" on the Smurfs.

Storm-it, I wish there was a way I could "like" your comment.

Me?  Sanderson's dialogue is so immature it's cringe-worthy.  Just my opinion.  I'm well aware of how many people think he's the best around but he's just not for me.

I absolutely loved it. Yes there are valid people complains people have about this or that part (like Shallan's wittiness), but based on the strength of Kaladins story alone its one of my favorite fantasy books. Have read it around once a year since it came out, and the journey of the bridgeman always gets me pumped up, going from a bunch of worthless nobodies to heroes. Also Dalinar is the Uncle I never knew I always wanted.

Words of Radiance is good too but it didn't thrill me as much. Super excited for the third book though! He keeps writing Reckoners and Mistborn and all this other stuff but I want more Stormlight Archives!!!

I think the best thing I can say about The Way of Kings is it is plotted well enough to not read like it's thousand pages. But Sanderson's dialog (especially when being 'witty') makes me cringe. And his info dumps are especially egregious in their timing; often breaking up action scenes to explain what's going on.

I actually really like Sanderson's imagination (worlds/world-building, magic, and much more).  However, his dialog is so bad that it (IMHO) outweighs his other merits.  I've read/listened to most of his stuff but the back and forth between Kaladin and Shallan was so bad that I stopped listening to it and just by chance picked it up again 6 months later when I ran out of material and it was the only other thing loaded on my sansa.  I gave up on the Reckoners half way through book 1.  I may check out his new stuff but, please god or other possible hidden genie, teach him to write some decent banter.  I know, he needs to sub out all his dialog to Mathew Stover and Guy Richie.  

And the glaringly obvious yet ill suiting setup between Shallan and Kaladin sucks. Shallan and Adolin are actually well suited and have chemistry unlike Shallan and Kaladin even though they are written like you ought to think they do, it just isn't believable at all. I can see it coming miles away and I am cringing already

Me?  Sanderson's dialogue is so immature it's cringe-worthy.  Just my opinion.  I'm well aware of how many people think he's the best around but he's just not for me.

This.

I still think he's a net positive, but the dialogue really sticks out.

But Sanderson's dialog (especially when being 'witty') makes me cringe. And his info dumps are especially egregious in their timing; often breaking up action scenes to explain what's going on.

The two biggest issues with his works. He has interesting ideas. But he just doesn't execute too well most of the time.

I have to agree.  I mean, for someone with so much plublished material you would think that his writing would not seem so amateurish now.  But it does.  I guess we're supposed to find Shallan's witty back-and-forths with other characters funny, but they drag on and become annoying.   I remember someone describing his fight scenes as though they were reading a video game (or Dragon Ball Z) and that is exactly what it's like.  Imagine my dissappointment when Rothfus resorted to the same technique later in, "The Wise Man's Fear".  I think Rothfus is the better writer.  

Archived