Your 7 LIVING kingsguard

Davosluckyfingers

Who would your 7 LIVING kingsguard be? We know good knights are hard to come by in this story but would be nice to hear people's opinions.

The rules are they must be alive, and they are only loyal to the crown so personal alliances in the book are not viable here. And they must be worthy of the cloak so no paedophiles (lyn Corbray) or people who have done horrible things.

For me I would try as hard as possible to go back to something like the Aerys KG, good fighters yes but also loyal, not too hot headed or reckless and people who could go on to do great things if they haven't already.

Lord commander : Brynden "blackfish" Tully - already a knight of great nenoun in the seven kingdoms thanks to his part in the nine penny kings war, a good battle commander and strategist, a bit older than the rest and wise. A good fighter and fiercely loyal, all I'd want in a Lord commander

Richard horpe - known as the slayer, an excellent fighter who "lusts for battle", nearly joined Roberts KG until cersei spoke out against him

Rolland storm - an excellent soldier, fought against the odds and somehow led stannis's rearguard to a safe retreat at the black water when he could've have just ticked tail and run.

Addam marbrand - an excellent swordsman, a good free rider and captain, has led armies into battle and is extremely loyal aswell, it's said men would willingly follow him into battle so he must inspire confidence.

Brienne of tarth - a true knight, again very loyal and is simple in her goals aswell, serve and protect is what she lives for, capable with sword and morning star and would simply do no wrong.

Balon swann - the only one among tommens KG that should actually be there, excellent with now, great with  a sword and exceptional with a morning star, not driven by power or ambition just happy to be part of the white cloaks.

Garlan Tyrell - unlike his brother he isn't reckless and easily enraged, he doesn't lust for fame infact he shys away from it, wise beyond his years and arguably the greatest swordsman in the seven kingdoms, comes from a powerful family and will go on to do great deeds.

Notable mentions to lothor brune, jorah mormont and bronze yohn the just didn't make there cut for me

What do you think and what would be yours and why?

^ Yeah, if you include a low key psychopath like Horpe you might as well include Corbray too. I mean, Cersei Lannister thought Horpe was a bit too sadistic for the KG, so that right there should be a red flag.

Anyway, mine are:

Barristan Selmy

Garlan Tyrell (duh)

Harras Harlaw 

Balon Swann

Lyle Crackehall

Brienne of Tarth

Areo Hotah

This is my favorite question. So i will accept this as my first post. 

I would usually have a few different picks here due to loyalty problems but since you say all are loyal to the crown(me) then i must go with this diverse crew. We shall call it Ethan Forrester's Seven!

Brynden "Blackfish" Tully

Strong Belwas

Ser Barristan Selmy

Garlan Tyrell

Ser Bronn of the Blackwater 

Areo Hotah

Daario Naharis 

Barristan Selmy

Richard Horpe (should have been a KG but was passed over cause of Cersei, to scare Cersei says something. He liked killing too much, and Stannis doesnt give nick names like "the slayer" out to scrubs)

Ser Robert Strong (sorta living right?)

Rolland Storm

Loras Tyrelle

Blackfish Tully

Sandor the Hound Clegane (healthy)

Would also have Jaime lannister if he has both hands

Strong Belwas is a beast but the way he lets a guy cut him all the time first? Well matter of time before that becomes very unhealthy for him, matter of time before one of those first cuts is done by someone lethal and that cut is a deadly cut

I would not let Brienne anywhere near me, she is bad luck lol. Whomever she serves dies. But in the show.... I want her lottery numbers. Stumbles on both stark girls in a short period of time, in the huge lands, and then happens to catch Stannis alone in some random forest set up all perfectly against a tree (worst scene ever but know this is book thread but just saying)

^ Yeah, if you include a low key psychopath like Horpe you might as well include Corbray too. I mean, Cersei Lannister thought Horpe was a bit too sadistic for the KG, so that right there should be a red flag.

Anyway, mine are:

Barristan Selmy

Garlan Tyrell (duh)

Harras Harlaw 

Balon Swann

Lyle Crackehall

Brienne of Tarth

Areo Hotah

Horpe just liked killing too much. But he killed in wars and in battles and legit fights. Did not rape little boys. Horpe just had 1 hobby..........but he was not some torturer or anything like that

Horpe just liked killing too much. But he killed in wars and in battles and legit fights. Did not rape little boys. Horpe just had 1 hobby..........but he was not some torturer or anything like that

But the pedophile stuff notwithstanding, Horpe and Lyn seem like they're cut from the same cloth. It seems they like killing a little bit too much than it's recommended for a KG. 

My list

Lord Commander: Selmy - Experienced, noble and he knows the KG inside out. 

Sir Robert Strong - well he's technically 'alive' so he should qualify for the role. Robert Strong is powerful, ruthless and a great fighter. 

Strong Belwas - Another colossus. Belwas is an experienced pit fighter who had never lost a fight. He'll certainly be a great addition to the team

Wun Wun - A 14 feet tall giant with the strength of 12 men, Wun Wun would be a great addition to the team. If he can be convinced to join the team in the first place

Arya Stark - It takes an assassin to understand one. Arya's training with the faceless assassins would prove to be a great asset to the KG. Their knowledge of infiltration and poison is nearly unmatched by anyone

Bran Stark- although crippled, Bran Stark's magical powers (mind control over animals and people + his greendreams) would prove a great asset to the KG.  

Brienne of Tarth - a strong solid warrior whose armed with Valyrian steel. She would be a great asset especially since she's a woman and can sleep inside the queen and the princesses chambers without too many concerns. 

A king is threatened not only by physical attacks  but also by indirect attacks ex poison. The KG must be feared (having a strong team which also include a 14 feet giant will help) and good in a fight but it also must be organized (Selmy is the best on that) and must be able to anticipate the enemy (Bran's greendreams) and hit the enemy before he can act (Arya). 

Cersei opted for someone not so loyal to the Baratheons. Stannis thinks he is perhaps too fond of killing. So far the guy does not show to be more into killing things than your average knight. Both the likes of him and Moore make for great KG material all the same.

Anyway I remain in my opinion that establishing a palace guard is a better alternative than having just 7 guys rotate. Being 7 guys to rotate in shifts sucks. Doing so for more than a couple of days takes it's toll on your sanigy.

Screw  it, I'm probably gonna hire 500 axemen from the Bearded Priests of Norvos and call it a day.

Barristan Selmy

Richard Horpe (should have been a KG but was passed over cause of Cersei, to scare Cersei says something. He liked killing too much, and Stannis doesnt give nick names like "the slayer" out to scrubs)

Ser Robert Strong (sorta living right?)

Rolland Storm

Loras Tyrelle

Blackfish Tully

Sandor the Hound Clegane (healthy)

I don't think having those two together in the same group is going to end well. :rolleyes:

Swap Robert Strong and Sandor for Marbrand and Bronn and you got a pretty effective group.

1) Thoros of Myr

2) Mel/Moqorro

3) Daven Lannister

4) Tom O' Sevens

5) Garlan

6) Victorian Greyjoy

7) Robert Strong

we would have a grand ole time...drinking, playing pranks on Vic, hiding Ser Roberts head, drinking, having shadow babies, making songs about "floppy fish", drinking.

Selmy is such a bore, have no place for him, he would always be saying stuff like, "i miss ashara"and blah blah blah

Archived