If Randyll fostered Bran?

Seaworth'sShipmate

What would Randyll Tarly think of Bran Stark (pre crippled version) if he had to foster him?

I doubt he'd like Bran's intellectual curiosity, or interest in myth,lore or general book learnin'.

He might dislike how Bran isn't as rough and aggressive and "manly" as say young Theon or Robb Stark.

Still though, I think he'd generally be ok with him (as long as he kept the warging business on the down-low).

Bran seemed reasonably athletic and willing to engage in archery and sword fighting. Tarly would find him a ward of acceptable character at the very least.

Any ideas?

He might dislike how Bran isn't as rough and aggressive and "manly" as say young Theon or Robb Stark.

Bran was every bit as manly as those two. He was an 8 year old kid who dreamt of being a knight and enjoyed practising to become one.

Furthermore he was a popular kid who got on with people (rather than hide and avoid confrontation) and carried on climbing when told not to.

I think he'd be disappointed in the boy's intellect and tell him that books are "for maesters, wimmen and that soft-backed son of mine." He'd probably steer Bran towards spending more time in the practice yard fighting.

But at least Bran has some love of physical exercise. Imagine if Sweetrobin were fostered with Tarly.

Why would a Tarly foster a Stark?

They were on opposite sides of the war and have no territorial or family relations. Plus Tarly is not a Lord Paramount.

If Ned were to have Bran fostered somewhere, it would either be with A: someone he is trying to build a future relationship with, B: someone he is trying to strengthen a relationship with, C: One of his Bannermen to reward loyalty/ strengthen ties with or D: someone that has a daughter they are hoping to marry Bran to, or E: someone that Ned respected for military/ martial prowess that he wanted to pass on to Bran.

You could argue that Tarly fits into E, but it almost could be seen as an insult for Ned to foster his son with the only man who defeated Robert on the field of battle.

While the poster above me is absolutely right about why that would never happen, if it did, I suppose Bran would come out of it a much more martial, severe, and generally physical person.

I think Tarly and Bran could get along very well, as long as Bran behaves. (And I think he would, he was a brat in Winterfell simply because his parents were too permissive and generally lax when it came to discipline)

Was Bran really that intellectual or book lover? I honestly remember him being the opposite: he wanted to be a knight, liked climbing and beat Tommen into the dirt. Sure, he liked to hear the stories of the CotF and all that, but I imagine every boy in the 7K enjoys a good legend once in awhile

More interesting fostering action for me would be Rickon, he is wild and aggresive - something that would Randyll Tarly very much appreciate.

I like to tell myself that rickon will grow up to be crazy and fierce warrior (wolf blood) and in the hands of Randyll Tarly he would be real beast.

I doubt Tarly would have been mad at Bran's (alleged) bookish tendencies if the boy had been skilled in arms.

Also, where is this "Tarly wants only super aggressive berserker warriors as sons!" idea comes from? He only wanted a more "normal" heir and Sam was not. Dickon doesn't seem to be anything special and looks like a sweet kid and Tarly is content with him.

I doubt Tarly would have been mad at Bran's (alleged) bookish tendencies if the boy had been skilled in arms.

Also, where is this "Tarly wants only super aggressive berserker warriors as sons!" idea comes from? He only wanted a more "normal" heir and Sam was not. Dickon doesn't seem to be anything special and looks like a sweet kid and Tarly is content with him.

If anything, wouldn't a boy who was (sufficiently) skilled at arms and interested in learning be even better? And, even if Tarly was such an ape that he despised learning that wasn't to do with the military or how to be a Lord, as long as it didn't affect Bran's military and lordly training, would Tarly even care?

If anything, wouldn't a boy who was (sufficiently) skilled at arms and interested in learning be even better? And, even if Tarly was such an ape that he despised learning that wasn't to do with the military or how to be a Lord, as long as it didn't affect Bran's military and lordly training, would Tarly even care?

Considering a Lord needs to know how to rule, I'd say yes. Tarly's problem with Sam wasn't that he was bookish: it was that he was more interested in book and songs than in learn how to fight and be a warrior. As the Tarlys seem to have a military tradition, this was as devastating as Robb Stark being born with an allergy to very cold weather :dunno:

I suppose that, if you have many sons, that isn't much of a problem, but Sam was his only heir. The fact he didn't want Dickon to be close to the same influences Sam had wasn't because he despised them, but because he didn't want him to end up like Sam.

Considering a Lord needs to know how to rule, I'd say yes. Tarly's problem with Sam wasn't that he was bookish: it was that he was more interested in book and songs than in learn how to fight and be a warrior. As the Tarlys seem to have a military tradition, this was as devastating as Robb Stark being born with an allergy to very cold weather :dunno:

I suppose that, if you have many sons, that isn't much of a problem, but Sam was his only heir. The fact he didn't want Dickon to be close to the same influences Sam had wasn't because he despised them, but because he didn't want him to end up like Sam.

This, but I'd add that Sam's interests in books and songs had little to do with him being sent away, nor was his being fat or being a poor warrior. His biggest drawback was his inability to stand up for himself, to just roll over and die (so to speak) when faced with confrontation. In a son that might be disappointing but in a Lord and protector of many people this would be a devastating outcome.

I  know many on this forum genuinely believe that Tarly would have killed Sam, maybe he would have, but personally I think that was the final test. If Sam would have refused and stood up for himself Randyll might have thought that there was a chance that he could make it as a Lord but Sam just meekly accepted this threat.

The board ate my reply to this... argh, board! 

This, but I'd add that Sam's interests in books and songs had little to do with him being sent away, nor was his being fat or being a poor warrior. His biggest drawback was his inability to stand up for himself, to just roll over and die (so to speak) when faced with confrontation. In a son that might be disappointing but in a Lord and protector of many people this would be a devastating outcome. 

I guess the impression Tarly blamed Sam's attitudes to those things, though. Like, he wanted Dickon away from them not because he despised them but because he feared he would get equally influenced.

I dunno if he wanted to test him but I agree that he saw Sam's lack of a backbone a big issue. And that's something that even the uneducated recruits of the NW saw and recognised as a problem. Now he's returning with Gilly he might surprise his father if he stand up for her and the baby (who is, allegedly, his son).

People are being a bit too kind to Randyll Tarly. When Sam suggested going to the Citadel, Randyll chained him to a wall for three days with a chain tight around his neck, giving him permanent PTSD. This is the real source of his reluctance to become a maester, when Jon commands it. I guess that gives an idea of Tarly's view of learning and non-military service. 

An old blind man and a 15 year old boy got more out of Sam that Tarly ever did.

People are being a bit too kind to Randyll Tarly. When Sam suggested going to the Citadel, Randyll chained him to a wall for three days with a chain tight around his neck, giving him permanent PTSD. This is the real source of his reluctance to become a maester, when Jon commands it. I guess that gives an idea of Tarly's view of learning and non-military service. 

An old blind man and a 15 year old boy got more out of Sam that Tarly ever did.

Well yes and no. Sam's turning point was being confronted by the scariest thing he had ever seen, something worse than any of the many different Master of Arms put him through, or the Warlocks his brother put him through. Confronting the Other was what changed him, gave him some belief in himself. If only Randyll had something that would scare the bejezus out of him he might have gotten some courage.

As it stands being sent to the Wall was the best thing Randyll could have done for him. He would have been a disaster and desperately unhappy.

Archived