Arya's Death in the Riverlands

It's been foretold, Ser Garlan.  That crow brother of hers saw her death in the Riverlands. 

No. She has different prophecy to fulfill. 

"You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.” -Eddard V, AGOT

It's not exactly prophecy.  I'd say it's an off the cuff comment by Jon.  First chapter of Arya in book 1.  Unless there's another one.  The riverlands isn't her goal. She's going back to Jon.  What happens depend on Jon.  I don't think he's AA, but if he is, Arya gets a sword through her heart.  

It's not exactly prophecy.  I'd say it's an off the cuff comment by Jon.  First chapter of Arya in book 1.  Unless there's another one.  The riverlands isn't her goal. She's going back to Jon.  What happens depend on Jon.  I don't think he's AA, but if he is, Arya gets a sword through her heart.  

Yeah, I imagine Jon will unknowingly skewer her while she's attempting to or successfully assassinates Melisandre.

It's certainly an option. Arya will the whole face changing thing going on and Jon unknowlingly killing her. With Arya it's tough to say, because it can go different ways. She can die as some claim it was foreshadowed with her freezing to death and holding a needle.

"You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

She could marry someone and rule as Joan Jett sait it. The third option is to running around like Nymeria wild, free and killing people.

No. She has different prophecy to fulfill. 

"You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.” -Eddard V, AGOT

I see where you're going with this. Jon and Arya. Right?

If there is someone she should or will marry(still not sure on that)...it's Gendry. Just like Robert and Ned planned it. Robert's son should marry Ned's daughter. Although not Joffrey and Sansa.

I see where you're going with this. Jon and Arya. Right?

If there is someone she should or will marry(still not sure on that)...it's Gendry. Just like Robert and Ned planned it. Robert's son should marry Ned's daughter. Although not Joffrey and Sansa.

Yeah it's common that people cite the "I have a son, you have a daughter" quote when predicting an Arya/Gendry marriage. But I think a huge issue with that is the fact that the quote comes from early AGOT. The same book that is littered with hints towards a Jon/Arya endgame. In fact I believe that the author was still planning on a romantic relationship between the two for the first three books. But anyway, I don't believe that the quote was not meant to be taken as a future marriage hint. Arya already has one of those told by her own father. An Arya/Gendry marriage has never seemed like a legitimate possibility to me. The author would have to craft a very very convenient situation in which they reunited, reconnected,  spent lots of time together, and Gendry got legitimized or something like that. I just don't think it's likely that they will be afforded such circumstances. It's very optimistic. Arya has way too much stuff to do and people to see to be spending that much time with Gendry all over again. The class difference is also a problem; Arya Stark is highborn and incredibly valuable, as Jon stated in ADWD. And plus I don't get the feeling that the author is pushing their relationship very much since their separation, especially from Arya's side. I think that if they were truly going to become a couple, married or not, she would think of him a lot more than she does. Like Sansa with Sandor.  I realize that she is young, but her POV has encountered things having to do with sexuality already, like one of Bruso's daughter being touched by a boy at night.

"I know that Brusco’s daughter Brea meets a boy on the roof when her father is asleep, she thought. Brea lets him touch her, Talea says, even though he’s just a roof rat and all the roof rats are supposed to be thieves." AFFC

It seemed pretty unnecessary for the author to mention that the boy was a thief IMO. GRRM probably wanted to include a thief/sexuality connection in Arya's story because Jon has so many (the whole stealing women thing thats apart of wildling culture). Arya has many connections to the wall as well. Her desire to go there has been mentioned in every book except ADWD, which is actually ironic. 

But anyway I can admit that romantic undertones existed in some of the Arya/Gendry interactions, but they existed alongside a Jon/Gendry connection in Arya's thoughts and Jon/Arya hints in the first three books.  I don't think that an Arya/Gendry relationship was ever going to be lasting or final. Just like I don't think the author ever planned on a Jon/Ygritte ending. Jon and Arya were always meant for each other the whole way. Even in an interview where GRRM was asked about the outline, he offhandedly mentions that he has always known the arcs of Jon, Arya, and Tyrion.(So her fate is the same as it always was) They've just been too separated so far, thats why GRRM compensates with so many tender thoughts between them. It doesn't help that Arya is aging so slowly. That was not planned, the children's ages have troubled George for quite some time. Arya hitting puberty seems very important, too. I believe that their reunion is supposed to take place after they have both seriously changed. 

In  ASOS its curious that both Jon and Arya start to slightly inch away from a sibling relationship.

"Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya.Is she still my sister? he wondered. Was she ever?""

She wondered if he would still call her "little sister." I'm not so little anymore. He'd have to call me something else."

Jon begins to doubt that Arya is his sister. Arya thinks he will have to call her something other than sister. I think its neat that some J/A hints also function as R+L=J hints and King/Queen hints. 

I believe this was GRRM prepping for a Jon/Arya romantic relationship to take place after the 5 year gap. Now it might happen w/o it.

ADWD, the most recent book, is curious as well.

• Jon has many many thoughts about Arya.
  • He thinks about her in another man's bed
  • He pretty much dies over her
  • His dying thought is "Stick em with the pointy end"
  • Arya thinks about how Jon Snow used to call her pretty. 
  • Gwyneth Yronwood, a girl with striking similarities to Arya (appearance, age, personality) is introduced as having a crush on/wanting to marry a man several years older than her. (possibly foreshadowing a Jon/Arya marriage)

Arya wished for her own death unknowingly when she wished the Freys betrothed would die, and Jon did make the statement about her sewing all through winter and being found in spring with her needle frozen in her hands or something like that.  I don't see why it has to be the Riverlands though.

Mighr be Jeyne...

Mighr be Jeyne...

Do you remember the scene I'm talking about?  Catlyn agreed to the betrothal at the Twins, and then Arya meets the Frey later on, I think Merret?  In any event she wishes that his betrothed would die, and that's her.  I assume that Frey must have died for "Arya" to have been married to Ramsay, but I guess Walder may have given his consent.  I don't exactly think Jeyne fits here, but it could work itself out.  If Jeyne makes her way to Bravos with Justin Massey and preys for death in the house of black and white as Arya.

Archived