Davos + Rickon's Adventure?

Seaworth'sShipmate

What will happen once Davos links up with Rickon on Skagos? What will Skagos be like, and how will he convince Osha, Rickon and Shaggydog to accompny him?

Even though Davos is a good smuggler, this seems like a tall order, the task assigned to him. How is he supposed to infilitrate Skagos, and convince the suspicious Rickon and Osha to accompany him? How is he supposed to have an unpredictable direwolf aboard his ship?

I have a horrible, sinking feeling that this mission will be Davos' death, perhaps dying of an infected bite from Shaggydog?

The Skagosi will turn out to be devious assholes planning to use Rickon as a figurehead in a second rebellion against Winterfell. Realizing they're planning to destroy not only Roose Bolton, but also Stannis as well in their attempt to take over the North, a tearful Davos will murder Rickon, asking himself what is the life of one boy against a kingdom.

You know I pondered this over the summer.  Davos will have to be able to win Shaggy Dog over, that's the only way I see this transport happening at all.   However, what if Manderly wasn't being straight up with Davos and sent him to Skaggos when Rickon & Osha have been at Last Hearth the whole time?   Why Skaggos?  On the flip side what says the Skaggosi haven't already experienced the Others or dead things in the water?   They'd want to get away with a quickness wouldn't they?   

While we're on the topic, where is Davos supposed to take his cargo once he gets them on board?   

The Skagosi will turn out to be devious assholes planning to use Rickon as a figurehead in a second rebellion against Winterfell. Realizing they're planning to destroy not only Roose Bolton, but also Stannis as well in their attempt to take over the North, a tearful Davos will murder Rickon, asking himself what is the life of one boy against a kingdom.

That's actually a pretty interesting theory. I myself more expect the Skagosi to turn out more like the Northern mountain clans, honoured at the fact that they get to host the apparent heir of Winterfell, after having been thought of as savages by everyone. I really can't say though. All I know is it will exciting to see.

Davos could just smuggle him off to wherever he stashed Edric Storm. Rickon and Edric could bond over their experiences as prized child pawns.

You mean the Chekhov Island of Lost Plot Devices? 

Of course! Just cross the Narrow Sea and slip through the plot hole off the coast of Old Valyria. Watch out for the Meereenese knot though. It's been known to strangle storylines until there is nothing interesting left. 

It will be exciting and a fun read but the ending will be anticlimactic. 

I think probably Rickon will have been dead for a long time and Davos has been searching in vain. 

Unlikely. GRRM is a stone cold asshole, but he seems to have a soft spot for kids (those who appear in the books anyway.)

He is also fond of Stark kids, and probably won't have one die off screeen. I even think he likes Davos, IMO one of the least repellent characters in the series.

I would be amazed if Davos survives his journey though

Unlikely. GRRM is a stone cold asshole, but he seems to have a soft spot for kids (those who appear in the books anyway.)

He is also fond of Stark kids, and probably won't have one die off screeen. I even think he likes Davos, IMO one of the least repellent characters in the series.

Keep in mind too....the overall point of ASOIAF is to be a "coming of age" tale for the kids.  This was part of GRRMs original outline, and IMO it still holds true.  I don't believe any of the Stark kids will be killed off from this point forward.

Rickon is still way too young to play any sort of meaningful role himself (he's what, 4?), but I *do* think him and Osha are going to play a major role uniting the Wildlings with the North and Stannis' army against the Boltons.  I don't know where Oshas standing is within the wildling hierarchy, but I would assume her presence with Rickon will be a major catalyst for uniting the Northern armies against The Boltons (and maybe The Others?)

Davos won't meet his end before he delivers Rickon to Manderly though.  But afterwards, I'm not quite sure where Davos's story will take him.  I find it hard to believe that he will perish, as he is still the major "voice of reason" within Stannis's army (and the entire north, for that matter).

I think the skagosi are not savages at all, i think we will find out that their fame is no more than a consequence of the isolation,  i thinks Rickon will come back and he will be heir of winterfell with sansa as his advisor, Davos allegiance to stannis will end along with Shireen's life

It will be exciting and a fun read but the ending will be anticlimactic. 

I think probably Rickon will have been dead for a long time and Davos has been searching in vain. 

Yeah, it could be a Shaggydog Story (which would piss me off because we already had one with Quentyn), especially if Sansa's claim to Winterfell and the whole Vale storyline become more important

Think again my friend- Rickon and Shaggydog will be our Shaggy Dog story. 

Shaggy Dog Story- a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.

Davos will go on the drawn out, long story only for it to end in an amusing, pointless conclusion. 

Shaggy Dog Story- a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.

Davos will go on the drawn out, long story only for it to end in an amusing, pointless conclusion. 

But then GRRM is a breaker of tropes, so his version of the Shaggydog story is short, to the point, consequent and meaningful, but not amusing at all.

One can surely hope.... :rolleyes:

But then GRRM is a breaker of tropes, so his version of the Shaggydog story is short, to the point, consequent and meaningful, but not amusing at all.

One can surely hope.... :rolleyes:

These really aren't the words I would choose to describe GRRM's writing.

What will happen once Davos links up with Rickon on Skagos? What will Skagos be like, and how will he convince Osha, Rickon and Shaggydog to accompny him?

Even though Davos is a good smuggler, this seems like a tall order, the task assigned to him. How is he supposed to infilitrate Skagos, and convince the suspicious Rickon and Osha to accompany him? How is he supposed to have an unpredictable direwolf aboard his ship?

I have a horrible, sinking feeling that this mission will be Davos' death, perhaps dying of an infected bite from Shaggydog?

That's if the Skagosi themselves don't eat him first.  They are said to feast on human flesh.  Davos is old and his meat isn't sirloin but if they're starving he's likely dinner.

Except Rickon's story hasn't been super long and drawn out because where he is with no pov's, so that doesn't make sense

And Rickon has already shown extreme potential. To dismiss that would be like dismissing the possibility that Jon is the son of Rheagar. 

And i'm pretty sure George has already established a hate of fantasy tropes otherwise Ned would have lived and Robb would've won.

Archived