EWW: What's In That Brazilian Olympic Water?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2015/12/02/new-ap-test-rios-olympic-water-consistently-contaminated

This strikes me as a topic that should get more attention. The water at the Rio Olympics is completely contaminated. Countries are considering not sending their swimmers and other water sport athletes. Thoughts? Opinions? What should be done about this situation?

What should be done? This issue should be publicized heavily to show how hard it is to access clean water in many many parts of the world, due to human pollution and contamination. And trust me, this IS a world wide problem, outside of the "developed" world. 

After that, the solution is simple. Fill the pools with filtered water and all the chemicals that normally go into pool water. 

It's not about the swimmers, the pools are clean, it's about the triathletes and open water swimmers who will swim in the ocean.

and the regatta (sailing) and paddling events.

I've read other articles (not the one linked) and a sailor contracted a MRSA infection after an Olympic test event in Rio this summer.

It's crazy. Brazil promised to clean their waterways. It was one of the things that allowed them to get the hosting spot. Sad for the citizens to get screwed over twice with international sporting events in their country. And I love the summer Olympics. It's just awful. 

I've read other articles (not the one linked) and a sailor contracted a MRSA infection after an Olympic test event in Rio this summer.

It's crazy. Brazil promised to clean their waterways. It was one of the things that allowed them to get the hosting spot. Sad for the citizens to get screwed over twice with international sporting events in their country. And I love the summer Olympics. It's just awful.

Imagine if the money had been spent on improving the lives of the deeply impoverished citizens.

They promised to improve infrastructure for the World Cup, but barely managed to get a bunch of white elephant stadiums built on time.

Here's why it's so absurd to me-

The Top 5 Countries with the Most Fresh Water

CountryTotal Water ResourcesAverage Precipitation
1Brazil8233.0 km3/yr15,236 km3/yr
2Russia4508.0 km3/yr7,855 km3/yr
3United States3069.0 km3/yr7,030 km3/yr
4Canada2902.0 km3/yr5,352 km3/yr
5China2738.8 km3/yr5,995 km3/yr
Sources:  P. H. Gleick, Pacific Institute. (2013). Total Renewable Freshwater Supply by Country (2013 Update). 

Archived