King Stannis, Storms End and Stormlands

Hrulj

I am interested in hearing what would Stannis do with Stormlands and Storms End, had he became the King of Westeros.

Who would he give it to? I feel like his vasals would be pretty upset if he decided to keep it for himself after taking the Throne for himself

Well, unless there are distant Baratheon cousins that we haven't been introduced to yet, he has nobody in his family to give it to, given that Shireen will probably be Princess of Dragonstone in that scenario. I suppose he could give it to Davos Seaworth, since several Hands of the King have been Lord Paramount of their regions at the same time (Tywin, Steffon, Orys, Cregan, one of the Tully, Ned, etc.). But the problem is that that might be too much for the other stormlords to bear, given how Davos was a smuggler before he met Stannis.

So Stannis would have to either adopt a child, legitimize one of Robert's bastards, father more children on Selyse, or quietly be rid of her so he can marry someone younger and more fertile.

And given that Shireen would need to marry someone, Stannis could marry her off to a Lord Paramount's kid to secure an alliance but the problem is that House Baratheon's royal name would be extinguished in favour of that male's surname, be it Tyrell, Lannister, or whoever. Plus Stannis wouldn't want to reward any of those houses for fighting against him.

But since Davos has three sons left alive, he could marry one of them off to Shireen so that he'd change his name to Baratheon and continue the dynasty.

I think his plan would have been to appoint a castellan, and then once he had a son he would make Shireen lady of Storms End.  However it is also possible he would combine the Stormlands and Crownlands so that there would not be another Baratheon on Baratheon battle.

That's a good point. The Storm Kings once ruled the Crownlands as part of the Stormlands. But I think too many people would speak out against Stannis land-grabbing like that, plus he's never suggested doing that before, so I think it's unlikely he'd do that.

What he should do and what Stannis would do are two different things.

He should arrange a marriage for Shireen with a Stormland bannerman's son (the husband would remain a Prince like real life Prince Phillip and Queen of England). Appoint a Castilian (maybe Shireen's In Laws) to run Storm's End till Shireen can produce at least two heirs, one for the Crown and one for Storm's End and the Stormlands.

Shireen's eldest son then could be married to another LP's daughter.

What Stannis would do is probably some crazy shit that Mel would ask him to do, like light it all on fire.

What he should do and what Stannis would do are two different things.

He should arrange a marriage for Shireen with a Stormland bannerman's son (the husband would remain a Prince like real life Prince Phillip and Queen of England). Appoint a Castilian (maybe Shireen's In Laws) to run Storm's End till Shireen can produce at least two heirs, one for the Crown and one for Storm's End and the Stormlands.

Shireen's eldest son then could be married to another LP.

What Stannis would do is probably some crazy shit that Mel would ask him to do, like light it all on fire.

Stannis in the books is different from Stannis in the shows. He's fully competent without Melisandre by his side, and he shows his leadership constantly by also listening to Davos and Jon Snow when they give better advice. In fact, most of his actions in the fifth book have nothing to do with her.

And given that Shireen would need to marry someone, Stannis could marry her off to a Lord Paramount's kid to secure an alliance but the problem is that House Baratheon's royal name would be extinguished in favour of that male's surname, be it Tyrell, Lannister, or whoever. Plus Stannis wouldn't want to reward any of those houses for fighting against him.

If Shireen was Stannis's only child, then I'm certain her children would take the Baratheon name and not adopt the House of their father. It's happened with other Houses in the past, after all.

Archived