Will the War against the Others only take place in the North?

Floki of the Ironborn

GRRM has said that we would go further north than before in the last two books. And we know that the North remembers the Long Night and the Others while south of the Neck they're just ghost stories and jokes. And meanwhile Stannis is preparing to join in the fight while the entire religion of Rhlorr seems to fear the Others as their greatest enemy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire war of winter was fought in the North while the south burns in a second dance of dragons between Euron, fAegon, and Daenerys. And even if the Northerners and their allies win, few beyond the North will know or care.

I don't think the WW's would live up to the expectations GRRM has built if that is the case.  The WW's are the real enemy, the politics are just a distraction, it was the WW's in the very first prologue.  Dany also has her dream of facing her enemies at the Trident, and several characters have come across wild Weirwoods in the south which I think will play a role.

The Others will never bypass or destroy the Wall; i think that the North and the rest of the Seven Kingdoms are safe.

But if the worst happen - the Wall failing - i believe that they will swarm the North, killing almost everyone there, just to be stopped by a new, more effective, Hammer of the Waters, somewhere near Moat Cailin, that will divide Westeros in two: South to Mankind, North to the Others.

I dont think so. After all the buildup to have them stay behind the wall is meaningless. I think Wall will fall, they will swarm the North killing everyone there, and moving in south, probably taking the Riverlands too before Kingdoms come together to fight them

I dont think so. After all the buildup to have them stay behind the wall is meaningless. I think Wall will fall, they will swarm the North killing everyone there, and moving in south, probably taking the Riverlands too before Kingdoms come together to fight them

So everyone in the North is doomed to die? Surely that would render everything they've done to be completely useless and irrelevant to the ending of this series, no?

So everyone in the North is doomed to die? Surely that would render everything they've done to be completely useless and irrelevant to the ending of this series, no?

The North has no further role to play. If the Wall and North can keep them behind the wall why would anyone at all go and aid nights watch against White Walkers?

I think the Others' initial strike (after the Wall falls) will bring them down to the Neck, or possibly the Trident.  Once Dany and the Dragons join the fight I think humanity will push them back and everyone will convene at Winterfell before the final battle.

So yeah, the vast majority will be in the North.

The North has no further role to play. If the Wall and North can keep them behind the wall why would anyone at all go and aid nights watch against White Walkers?

I think it may be the opposite, the south has no further role to play... other then supplying people. 

The only families that really matter are the Starks and the Targs (and I suppose you could say The Nights Watch too). They are the only two we really have any major history on, and they match up pretty darn well with the titles of the books. Every other family is in it for heros. They have individual members that will play big roles in the upcoming conclusion, but they will get their because of who they are, not what they are. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire war of winter was fought in the North while the south burns in a second dance of dragons between Euron, fAegon, and Daenerys. And even if the Northerners and their allies win, few beyond the North will know or care.

This makes some sense. Dany comes in from the south and cleans up the whole political mess only to then find out, maybe with the help of Tyrion who has been up there, that the real battle is way up north. But I do not think that few beyond the North will know or care.

I think Wall will fall, they will swarm the North killing everyone there, and moving in south, probably taking the Riverlands too before Kingdoms come together to fight them

The Wildlings have survived around the others, they can move south in Westeros without overtaking everything. It will not be like a zombie invasion but more of a planned attack. 

I think it may be the opposite, the south has no further role to play... other then supplying people. 

The only families that really matter are the Starks and the Targs (and I suppose you could say The Nights Watch too). They are the only two we really have any major history on, and they match up pretty darn well with the titles of the books. Every other family is in it for heros. They have individual members that will play big roles in the upcoming conclusion, but they will get their because of who they are, not what they are. 

This makes some sense. Dany comes in from the south and cleans up the whole political mess only to then find out, maybe with the help of Tyrion who has been up there, that the real battle is way up north. But I do not think that few beyond the North will know or care.

The Wildlings have survived around the others, they can move south in Westeros without overtaking everything. It will not be like a zombie invasion but more of a planned attack. 

Do Starks matter? Does it matter who sits in Winterfell and who is the Lord Paramount in the North when the dead crash into the wall?
It would be extremelly anticlimactic if White Walker invasion would just be dead attacking the wall while Daenarys or whomever else is taking the South, and Starks are fighting their little war to rule the North.
We have 2 books left. I dont see enough time for all those plotlines to end. Something needs to cut them. Wall needs to fall down. The watch needs to run or die. The North needs to run or die. Armies of millions of dead need to march south and crash into the riverlands. Our Heroes need to sacrifice themselves to stem the tide. Dragons need to fight and die. Jon needs to fight and die. Kings Landing needs to fall and someone has to lit those wildfire pots underneath it. 
The Unsullied need to make a last stand against the swarm, like 300 Spartans did. Vale needs to come into play. Dorne needs to get their butts moving as well. Turning this into Danny conquers the South, comes North with her Dragons, saves the NW, finds out Jon is a Targ, marries him and they live happily ever after is absolutely dissapointing

Do Starks matter? Does it matter who sits in Winterfell and who is the Lord Paramount in the North when the dead crash into the wall?It would be extremelly anticlimactic if White Walker invasion would just be dead attacking the wall while Daenarys or whomever else is taking the South, and Starks are fighting their little war to rule the North.
We have 2 books left. I dont see enough time for all those plotlines to end. Something needs to cut them. Wall needs to fall down. The watch needs to run or die. The North needs to run or die. Armies of millions of dead need to march south and crash into the riverlands. Our Heroes need to sacrifice themselves to stem the tide. Dragons need to fight and die. Jon needs to fight and die. Kings Landing needs to fall and someone has to lit those wildfire pots underneath it. 
The Unsullied need to make a last stand against the swarm, like 300 Spartans did. Vale needs to come into play. Dorne needs to get their butts moving as well.

The Starks should matter, they have been such a major focal point of the whole story. There is no family that GRRM has told us more about. They are also the only family of Westeros that has any magical abilities. 

All that stuff can happen without the others swarming in and engulfing the north. I think that they will break through the wall, prob not even at castle black, and come into Westeros, and maybe make it down to the reach... but I do not think it will be a massive swarm but rather darkness that creeps in and kills what it needs to. 

Turning this into Danny conquers the South, comes North with her Dragons, saves the NW, finds out Jon is a Targ, marries him and they live happily ever after is absolutely dissapointing

There is a big middle ground there. 

The Starks should matter, they have been such a major focal point of the whole story. There is no family that GRRM has told us more about. They are also the only family of Westeros that has any magical abilities. 

All that stuff can happen without the others swarming in and engulfing the north. I think that they will break through the wall, prob not even at castle black, and come into Westeros, and maybe make it down to the reach... but I do not think it will be a massive swarm but rather darkness that creeps in and kills what it needs to. 

There is a big middle ground there. 

It Started with Starks. Let it end with Starks. Let Jon and other Starks sacrifice themses to give time to the rest to organise

Let Dany go in the blaze of glory by blowing up Kings Landing when Others overtake it and try to raise the dead.

Let her sacrifice her "children" to save humanity.

It Started with Starks. Let it end with Starks. Let Jon and other Starks sacrifice themses to give time to the rest to organise

Let Dany go in the blaze of glory by blowing up Kings Landing when Others overtake it and try to raise the dead.

Let her sacrifice her "children" to save humanity.

Well... I guess we can each hope for what we want. I hope that does not happen. 

Archived