Where did we learn Lord Dustin's first name?

LiveFirstDieLater

I appreciate the quick answer but the wiki doesn't site the text for this, the quotes all say Lord Dustin. I only trust the wiki as far as a reference to direct quotes, as it has been known to be wrong and misleading

Synopsis

Under the influence of the milk of the poppy, Ned dreams an old dream of the showdown at the Tower of Joy. In the dream as it was in life, his friends ride with him: Howland Reed, Lord Willam Dustin, Ethan Glover, Martyn Cassel, Theo Wull, and Ser Mark Ryswell. They were seven facing three, but these three were men of the Kingsguard and living legends: Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning, and Ser Oswell Whent. Ned had looked for them on the Trident, and at the Sack of King's Landing, and at the Siege of Storm's End, but found them guarding this tower near the Red Mountains of Dorne. In spite of Rhaegar’s death, they refused to bend the knee. By the end, only Ned and Howland Reed remain alive. Ned is awoken from the dream in the midst of making a promise to his dying sister Lyanna after the battle.

Sorry, I tried, don't know how to help.

Synopsis

Under the influence of the milk of the poppy, Ned dreams an old dream of the showdown at the Tower of Joy. In the dream as it was in life, his friends ride with him: Howland Reed, Lord Willam Dustin, Ethan Glover, Martyn Cassel, Theo Wull, and Ser Mark Ryswell. They were seven facing three, but these three were men of the Kingsguard and living legends: Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne the Sword of the Morning, and Ser Oswell Whent. Ned had looked for them on the Trident, and at the Sack of King's Landing, and at the Siege of Storm's End, but found them guarding this tower near the Red Mountains of Dorne. In spite of Rhaegar’s death, they refused to bend the knee. By the end, only Ned and Howland Reed remain alive. Ned is awoken from the dream in the midst of making a promise to his dying sister Lyanna after the battle.

Sorry, I tried, don't know how to help.

Yeah, but the dream in AGOT reads

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

It never mentions his name as William. Nor do any other passages in the books

A score or more of Walder Frey's sons and grandsons began to bang their cups again, shouting, "To bed! To bed! To bed with them!" Roslin had gone white. Catelyn wondered whether it was the prospect of losing her maidenhead that frightened the girl, or the bedding itself. With so many siblings, she was not like to be a stranger to the custom, but it was different when you were the one being bedded. On Catelyn's own wedding night, Jory Cassell had torn her gown in his haste to get her out of it, and drunken Desmond Grell kept apologizing for every bawdy joke, only to make another. When Lord Dustin had beheld her naked, he'd told Ned that her breasts were enough to make him wish he'd never been weaned. Poor man, she thought. He had ridden south with Ned, never to return. Catelyn wondered how many of the men here tonight would be dead before the year was done. Too many, I fear.

Reek listened to the vanes turning on the old windmill as they rode beneath the gatehouse into a grassy courtyard where stableboys ran out to take their horses. "This way, if you please." Lord Bolton led him toward the keep, where the banners were those of the late Lord Dustin and his widowed wife. His showed a spiked crown above crossed longaxes; hers quartered those same arms with Rodrik Ryswell's golden horsehead.

The lantern light in her eyes made them seem as if they were afire. "Brandon was fostered at Barrowton with old Lord Dustin, the father of the one I'd later wed, but he spent most of his time riding the Rills. He loved to ride. His little sister took after him in that. A pair of centaurs, those two. And my lord father was always pleased to play host to the heir to Winterfell. My father had great ambitions for House Ryswell. He would have served up my maidenhead to any Stark who happened by, but there was no need. Brandon was never shy about taking what he wanted. I am old now, a dried-up thing, too long a widow, but I still remember the look of my maiden's blood on his cock the night he claimed me. I think Brandon liked the sight as well. A bloody sword is a beautiful thing, yes. It hurt, but it was a sweet pain.

"The day I learned that Brandon was to marry Catelyn Tully, though … there was nothing sweet about that pain. He never wanted her, I promise you that. He told me so, on our last night together … but Rickard Stark had great ambitions too. Southron ambitions that would not be served by having his heir marry the daughter of one of his own vassals. Afterward my father nursed some hope of wedding me to Brandon's brother Eddard, but Catelyn Tully got that one as well. I was left with young Lord Dustin, until Ned Stark took him from me."

"Robert's Rebellion..."

"Lord Dustin and I had not been married half a year when Robert rose and Ned Stark called his banners. I begged my husband not to go. He had kin he might have sent in his stead. An uncle famed for his prowess with an axe, a great-uncle who had fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings. But he was a man and full of pride, nothing would serve but that he lead the Barrowton levies himself. I gave him a horse the day he set out, a red stallion with a fiery mane, the pride of my lord father's herds. My lord swore that he would ride him home when the war was done.

"Ned Stark returned the horse to me on his way back home to Winterfell. He told me that my lord had died an honorable death, that his body had been laid to rest beneath the red mountains of Dorne. He brought his sister's bones back north, though, and there she rests … but I promise you, Lord Eddard's bones will never rest beside hers. I mean to feed them to my dogs."

It's only the appendix that lists his name as William. The wiki is correct in identifying William Dustin as having been at the TOJ, but we only know that his name is William because of the appendix. Otherwise he would just be a nameless Lord Dustin

Yeah, but the dream in AGOT reads

It never mentions his name as William. Nor do any other passages in the books

It's only the appendix that lists his name as William. The wiki is correct in identifying William Dustin as having been at the TOJ, but we only know that his name is William because of the appendix. Otherwise he would just be a nameless Lord Dustin

Whoa, did you see the, "Sorry, I tried, don't know how to help." Another thing I have to be careful of is clicking Quote.

Edit: And I need to learn to wait 15 minutes before responding because someone may have posted before I did.

Archived