Jaime's One Kindness

Maxxine

So we know in ACOK Jaime says he is beloved by one for a kindness he never did and despised by many for his finest act. The despised by many is obviously killing Aerys before he basically blows up KL, but what is his one kindness. My first thought was the Tyrion/Tysha situation, but the more I thought about it the more it didn't really seem to fit for me. Tyrion thinks at this point that Jaime bought him a whore, let Tyrion run off and marry her, then confessed to him that Tysha was a whore. Even if this were the true story nothing about is necessarily a kindness that would make Tyrion love him. Plus, even if this were some kindness, it's not like that's the only thing Jaime has done for Tyrion. Tyrion constantly remarks how Jaime was really the only one who was nice to him in his family (besides another uncle) and the only one who took the time to really show him attention and teach him things. So, Tyrion had many reasons to love Jaime besides the Tysha thing. The only other person who clearly love Jaime is Cersei, but this statement doesn't seem like it could apply to her either.

Did I miss something regarding who this could apply to? Is it someone we haven't met yet?

Thoughts?

I've sure been enjoying your ideas lately Maxxine.   Thanks for another good one.   When I see Jamie and Beloved in the same sentence I think Brienne.   I don't think Cersei loves anyone, particularly Jamie.    I think she used him the way she uses everyone.  Jamie saved Brienne from the bear at Harrenhall...but does Jamie even recognize that Brienne loves him?   He's not stupid, but I don't think he even understands that he loves her, but maybe I'm wrong about that.   That's all I've got for you on this one.   

Jaime was drunk :lol:

The whole thing:

“Aerys…” Catelyn could taste bile at the back of her throat. The story was so hideous she suspected it had to be true. “Aerys was mad, the whole realm knew it, but if you would have me believe you slew him to avenge Brandon Stark…”

“I made no such claim. The Starks were nothing to me. I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act. At Robert’s coronation, I was made to kneel at the royal feet beside Grand Maester Pycelle and Varys the eunuch, so that he might forgive us our crimes before he took us into his service. As for your Ned, he should have kissed the hand that slew Aerys, but he preferred to scorn the arse he found sitting on Robert’s throne. I think Ned Stark loved Robert better than he ever loved his brother or his father… or even you, my lady. He was never unfaithful to Robert, was he?

He's talking about Aerys and the Rebellion. I think he's meaning the same thing.

Killing Aerys is ambiguous for Jaime. Those who wanted the Throne probably thank them for the kindness. He didn't do it for that. Those who believe he was dishonourable for doing it don't know the whole story and think he's the bad guy. He never did to put someone else on the throne (a kindness) nor he was vile for killing him (he saved the city).

So we know in ACOK Jaime says he is beloved by one for a kindness he never did and despised by many for his finest act. The despised by many is obviously killing Aerys before he basically blows up KL, but what is his one kindness. My first thought was the Tyrion/Tysha situation, but the more I thought about it the more it didn't really seem to fit for me. Tyrion thinks at this point that Jaime bought him a whore, let Tyrion run off and marry her, then confessed to him that Tysha was a whore. Even if this were the true story nothing about is necessarily a kindness that would make Tyrion love him. Plus, even if this were some kindness, it's not like that's the only thing Jaime has done for Tyrion. Tyrion constantly remarks how Jaime was really the only one who was nice to him in his family (besides another uncle) and the only one who took the time to really show him attention and teach him things. So, Tyrion had many reasons to love Jaime besides the Tysha thing. The only other person who clearly love Jaime is Cersei, but this statement doesn't seem like it could apply to her either.

Did I miss something regarding who this could apply to? Is it someone we haven't met yet?

Thoughts?

It's not a kindness that he did do. It's a kindness that he didn't do. 

It's not a kindness that he did do. It's a kindness that he didn't do. 

This. It's Tysha. Jaime doesn't realize how much his general kindness meant to Tyrion, so he attributes his little (heh) brother's love to the fact that Tyrion always believed Tysha was a professional procured by Jaime for him. Tyrion, of course, is inclined to believe this in part because thinking of Tysha as a whore makes dealing with what happened to her-and his part in it-easier.

It shouldn't. But for him it did.

Archived