Favorite Christmas Specials/Movies/Episodes!

drawkcabi

Great list, drawk!

A Muppet Family Christmas is an absolute favourite though I hadn't seen it for a long time. I still don't think it's really available to buy and I haven't seen it on TV in ages. It also features Fraggles.

Why thank you!

Yep, one of my favorite parts is when The Muppets who up and Doc asks Sprocket if these are the Fraggles he's always going on about and Sprocket wiggles his paw as if to say "kind of". Another favorite part is when Jim Henson shows up at the end smiling as he watches all the muppets celebrating Christmas. My eyes always moisten at this part.

I've got the special from a recording of an actual airing in 1987 so it's got all its parts, nothing cut out.

Esquire has been showing Trading Places tonight. It takes place at Christmas and New Year's, has Dan Aykroyd dressed up as a bum Santa, it counts!

Rudolph of course.

"A Christmas Carol" musical, with Albert Finney,

But lastly is actually the Peanuts Thanksgiving where Snoopy takes out the Lawn Chair.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=snoopy+vs.+lawn+chair&view=detail&&&mid=93F6B294E7CF724D068593F6B294E7CF724D0685&rvsmid=93F6B294E7CF724D068593F6B294E7CF724D0685#view=detail&mid=93F6B294E7CF724D068593F6B294E7CF724D0685

Christmas Vacation is a staple for me (actually watching it on ABC Family right now). As far as movies, I'd go with A Christmas Story, Home Alone, Elf, A Muppet Christmas Carol, Gremlins, and Die Hard. I'll watch all the classic Christmas specials if I'm home when they are on, or DVR them for a seasonal viewing, my niece loves them. I'm going to try and watch all of the old time movies like Miracle on 34th St, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, etc. I've seen them in bits and pieces, but never the whole way through.

Oh and South Park Christmas episodes are fantastic, can't believe I forgot Mr. Hankey and my all time favorite, Woodland Critter Christmas!

There are exactly two Christmas-themed films I like (they are coincidentally two of my favourite ones):

Love Actually and Letters to Santa. I very much recommend the second one if you liked Love Actually.

I cannot stand Home Alone.

I think the most Christmasy I ever feel is watching A Christmas Story or Miracle on 34th Street at 2-4am on Christmas morning.

While those aren't the number 1's on my list, they're on there, and at that timeslot those are what I want to watch most.

As a child I remember loving an old BBC TV adaptation of "The Box of Delights". 

Actually, a lot of the stuff that gives me "Christmas" feelings comes from children's literature. A book from which I learnt what grief was, The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo, is one of them. It has its lighter side too, but is a markedly wintry novel. Also Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising. Wonderful not so much for the plot as for the atmospheric quality of the writing. The former has been adapted for TV. The latter hasn't. And there certainly wasn't an appalling film made of it!

On the funny side of things, I love the Father Ted Christmas special. 

I hate to be that person, but why is Die Hard a Christmas film? (Full disclosure - have never seen it and don't know what it's about, it just doesn't sound particularly Christmassy....)

It's because it takes place when Alan Rickman and his henchmen take hostages at the Christmas Party that Bruce Willis is attending. There are also some Christmassy references in it, such as Bruce Willis paraphrasing Santa Claus in this scene.

I hate to be that person, but why is Die Hard a Christmas film? (Full disclosure - have never seen it and don't know what it's about, it just doesn't sound particularly Christmassy....)

It's because it takes place when Alan Rickman and his henchmen take hostages at the Christmas Party that Bruce Willis is attending. There are also some Christmassy references in it, such as Bruce Willis paraphrasing Santa Claus in this scene.

And when it's over it gives you all the warm Christmas tingles when you've finished opening your presents on Christmas morning and are completely content while Christmas/seasonal music plays on the radio "Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow"*

*even though it's in southern California and it's "snowing" bonds and ashes and other debris.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived