Why was it so hard to find a bride in free cities for rhaegar?

purple-eyes

u should read before u disrespect i didnt say he was a girl 

he's a bald educated slave who knows a bunch of different languages they they bought his freedom just to have him as a slave fool ? he would be a slave 

I was just making a joke.  There was absolutely no intention to mock you so I can only apologise if it came across that way.  

I just got a very strong, "The Princess & The Pea," vibe from this backstory.

Essentially, Aerys/Steffon wanted (recognized an heir is needed, at some point) a bride for Rhaegar, but set imposable standards that could not be met. Procrastinating the problem until a future time.

I just got a very strong, "The Princess & The Pea," vibe from this backstory.

Essentially, Aerys/Steffon wanted (recognized an heir is needed, at some point) a bride for Rhaegar, but set imposable standards that could not be met. Procrastinating the problem until a future time.

basically until he could rape his wife and produce a daughter?

But Rhaegar did not love his wife (no matter who is his wife except Lyanna), so his wife is pretty safe from being sacrificed for activating sword. The sword has to be stabbed into his beloved one. And we know Rhaegar never loved his wife. 

Although his wife will always be abandoned by him for Lyanna. This is a risk for sure. 

But they didn't know that at the time. 

But Rhaegar did not love his wife (no matter who is his wife except Lyanna), so his wife is pretty safe from being sacrificed for activating sword. The sword has to be stabbed into his beloved one. And we know Rhaegar never loved his wife. 

Although his wife will always be abandoned by him for Lyanna. This is a risk for sure. 

What? Did I miss the chapter that said Rhaegar and Lyanna were soulmates destined to be with each other since the beginning of time? He may not have been madly in love with Elia, but there's nothing to suggest he couldn't have fallen in love with another woman besides Lyanna (assuming he actually did love her and wasn't just using her for prophetic/political reasons). 

Anyway, I think it's worth noting that with Essos being be more diverse and socially fluid than Westeros, the number of girls with suitable blood probably diminished greatly over time. Illyrio, for example, was a penniless bravo who got to marry a relative of a prince of Pentos. The Westerosi would be up in arms, perhaps literally, at the thought of a former street rat's daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter, etc becoming queen.

So that leaves the daughters of the highest of high circles, who still keep their bloodlines pure and noble. These nobles might consider Westeros beneath them or just not be interested in forming a connection to them. After all, Volantis is the furthest Free City from Westeros, so contact will likely be infrequent and slow. What good is a king's army if you're already dead by the time he gets them across the sea?

And even getting past all that, a million things could still go wrong. The girl they find might have an unsuitable personality. Of her family already has plans for her. Of she might die before they start making their way back. Or get into some kind of scandal. Or her family might change their minds. Or there could be some misunderstanding or insult that ends the deal.

If you had to spend every day with Stannis, you'd be eager for a vacation too. 

Steffon probably drove the ship into the cliffs himself at the thought of coming back to Stannis. 

My own crackpot: Steffon didn't find a bride because he wasn't actually looking for one. That was just the cover story Aerys put out. His real mission did involve looking for a girl with Valyrian looks, but to hunt her down and kill her: the last of the Blackfyre line, Serra. Aerys had heard rumors about her and was determined to end the BF threat once and for all. Alas, Serra was protected and hidden by an unlikely duo: a handsome bravo and his thief friend. And the rest, as they say, is history.

/Crackpot

My own crackpot: Steffon didn't find a bride because he wasn't actually looking for one. That was just the cover story Aerys put out. His real mission did involve looking for a girl with Valyrian looks, but to hunt her down and kill her: the last of the Blackfyre line, Serra. Aerys had heard rumors about her and was determined to end the BF threat once and for all. Alas, Serra was protected and hidden by an unlikely duo: a handsome bravo and his thief friend. And the rest, as they say, is history.

/Crackpot

I have a theory that Steffon was already dead before the shipwreck.  The wreck staged within sight of Storm's End to put a neat little bow on the murder.  Patchface was a loose end, but nobody pays attention to what he says anyway.

Steffon probably drove the ship into the cliffs himself at the thought of coming back to Stannis. 

/Crackpot

That'd be cool.

Archived