Theories on Symeon Star-Eyes?

There is a theory that Symeon is a Other and that his sapphires are actually iceblue eyes , similar to Other eyes. And the Two hellhounds he saw fighting is most likely Starks fighting each other( Nights King and Brandon the Breaker) .

I have a theory that the glowing blue eyes of wights are because of the Other's exerting control over them, and if one removed the eyes from a wight the Others would no longer have control over them.  Maybe Symeon had his eyes replaced to keep him from being under the control of the Night's King.  If this is the case, Coldhands does not have real eyes in his head either, OR they do not glow because he is controlled by a non-Other.  

I got this theory seeing the first promotional image of Jon Snow from the next season of the show, and how it does not show his eyes but shows blood on his cheeks like he's been bleeding from his eye sockets.  He will be wighted but his eyes will be removed to save him from going to their side.

Of course what I'm about to say is conjecture but that's kind of the point of these topics so I'll have at it. 

Sapphires can be purple (although if this was the case I think GRRM would have said "amethyst") and Young Griff's eyes are described as looking dark blue when he has his blue hair. We also know that the Daynes have similar eyes and have been around forever basically in Westeros. i could go on a little more but this type of tinfoily thinking is making my head hurt lol. Either way, still leaves us with way more questions than answers.

The first time we hear of Symeon (at least I think its the first) is from Bran in AGoT.  He is talking to Maester Luwin about the tale of the blind knight and Luwin tells Bran its just a story/dream.  That conversation leads Bran to remember his 3EC dream about his father.  We don't know where Bran first heard this legend but there may be a faint connection to BR as it leads Bran to remember his 3EC dream. Maybe BR will be able to tell us more about Symeon Star-eyes.

The first time we hear of Symeon (at least I think its the first) is from Bran in AGoT.  He is talking to Maester Luwin about the tale of the blind knight and Luwin tells Bran its just a story/dream.  That conversation leads Bran to remember his 3EC dream about his father.  We don't know where Bran first heard this legend but there may be a faint connection to BR as it leads Bran to remember his 3EC dream. Maybe BR will be able to tell us more about Symeon Star-eyes.

If Luwin says Star Eyes wasn't real then we can be pretty sure he was.

When Jon find the "dead" Night's Watch men north of the Wall, who later turn out to be wights, he describes their eyes as blue sapphires. Melisandre's red eyes are composted to the ruby she wears around her neck. Both her eyes and the eyes of the Others are described as glowing like star. So Symeon Star-Eyes, who replaced his eyes with star sapphires, definitely has ice juju going for him. The interesting bit is that he seems to be a hero. I personally think the Others were once humans who became transformed by ice magic, just as Mel is being transformed by fire magic. At some point they decided that humanity had to go, I guess.

It's obviously foreshadowing someone. Of the three stand out details, that he saw the hellhounds fight, the location was the Nightfort and he has sapphire eyes I think the hellhounds is pretty easy to pin down, has to be the Cleganes. The Nightfort I don't know what to make of and the sapphire eyes I would suggest is yet to come.

The hellhounds will certainly fight again, but they have already fought, of those that saw Loras was the most connected. Loras is mysteriously injured, should we find out it's an eye injury I'd suggest we have our man, he'll be there for the second fight too. Otherwise Harwin may be a chance given Symeon is somewhat connected to the North and Harwin was at the Hand's tourney also.

Cersei groups Symeon with Aemon the Dragonknight as heroes who Sansa should hope will come save her. Aemon is a parallel for both Jaime and is likened to Barristan. Jaime is definitely going to be defending/saving Sansa at some point as per Bran's vision. I suggest whoever our Symeon is he's going to be joining Jaime (and Sandor and the rest) in defending Sansa in her trial by seven.

Of the Nightfort, it's loose but maybe GRRM is doing a bit of wordplay here. Night for Knight, fort for fought, and that's the association. The new Symeon will see the Cleganes fight at the trial by seven, which is a knight fight.

There's been several famous religious figures named Symeon, if there's a hint in any of their lives as to our Symeon I've not found it. If it's simply a case of Symeon being a deeply religious character then perhaps Bonifer, Lancel or Thoros is our Symeon, the last two having seen the first Clegane fight (I think).

• 4 months later...

When Cold Hands gets Bran to the Children and asks about him being killed by the Others, the children say "They killed him long ago." My best guess is that he and Symeon are one in the same. The only thing that would pose an issue for this theory is the Wall. If legends place him in the south after the wall was built, that would be problematic. Cold Hands needs Sam to get Bran because he's unable to pass through the Wall, so if he's a white/Other, Symeon should have had the same challenge.

On 9/12/2015 at 9:14 AM, chrisdaw said:

It's obviously foreshadowing someone. Of the three stand out details, that he saw the hellhounds fight, the location was the Nightfort and he has sapphire eyes I think the hellhounds is pretty easy to pin down, has to be the Cleganes. The Nightfort I don't know what to make of and the sapphire eyes I would suggest is yet to come.

The hellhounds will certainly fight again, but they have already fought, of those that saw Loras was the most connected. Loras is mysteriously injured, should we find out it's an eye injury I'd suggest we have our man, he'll be there for the second fight too. Otherwise Harwin may be a chance given Symeon is somewhat connected to the North and Harwin was at the Hand's tourney also.

Cersei groups Symeon with Aemon the Dragonknight as heroes who Sansa should hope will come save her. Aemon is a parallel for both Jaime and is likened to Barristan. Jaime is definitely going to be defending/saving Sansa at some point as per Bran's vision. I suggest whoever our Symeon is he's going to be joining Jaime (and Sandor and the rest) in defending Sansa in her trial by seven.

Of the Nightfort, it's loose but maybe GRRM is doing a bit of wordplay here. Night for Knight, fort for fought, and that's the association. The new Symeon will see the Cleganes fight at the trial by seven, which is a knight fight.

There's been several famous religious figures named Symeon, if there's a hint in any of their lives as to our Symeon I've not found it. If it's simply a case of Symeon being a deeply religious character then perhaps Bonifer, Lancel or Thoros is our Symeon, the last two having seen the first Clegane fight (I think).

Saphire eyes = Brienne of Tarth,

27 minutes ago, CJ Morris said:

When Cold Hands gets Bran to the Children and asks about him being killed by the Others, the children say "They killed him long ago." My best guess is that he and Symeon are one in the same. The only thing that would pose an issue for this theory is the Wall. If legends place him in the south after the wall was built, that would be problematic. Cold Hands needs Sam to get Bran because he's unable to pass through the Wall, so if he's a white/Other, Symeon should have had the same challenge.

Problem is, Coldhands has black eyes. . . but I do think there is an excellent chance Symeon was a wight. I think he got taken over by a greenseer with knightly intent. And that Bran will follow a similar path, partly because Bran is inspired by Symeon's story. And partly because Bran already fights/works while in other bodies--Hodor, Summer, etc. 

Archived