Who is Aegon to Illyrio?

Lost Melnibonean

“A maiden? I know the way of that.” Illyrio thrust his right hand up his left sleeve and drew out a silver locket. Inside was a painted likeness of a woman with big blue eyes and pale golden hair streaked by silver. “Serra. I found her in a Lysene pillow house and brought her home to warm my bed, but in the end I wed her. Me, whose first wife had been a cousin of the Prince of Pentos. The palace gates were closed to me thereafter, but I did not care. The price was small enough, for Serra.”

“How did she die?” Tyrion knew that she was dead; no man spoke so fondly of a woman who had abandoned him.

“A Braavosi trading galley called at Pentos on her way back from the Jade Sea. The Treasure carried cloves and saffron, jet and jade, scarlet samite, green silk . . . and the grey death. We slew her oarsmen as they came ashore and burned the ship at anchor, but the rats crept down the oars and paddled to the quay on cold stone feet. The plague took two thousand before it ran its course.” Magister Illyrio closed the locket. “I keep her hands in my bedchamber. Her hands that were so soft . . .”

Tyrion II, Dance 5

Ask yourself, “What does Serra add to the story? Is this just character development for a tertiary character in a saga that is already too long? She is from Lys, where the blood of old Valyria runs strong. And later we learn this about Lys . . .

The Lyseni are also great breeders of slaves, mating beauty with beauty in hopes of producing ever more refined and lovely courtesans and bedslaves. The blood of Valyria still runs strong in Lys, where even the smallfolk oft boast pale skin, silver-gold hair, and the purple, lilac, and pale blue eyes of the dragonlords of old. The Lysene nobility values purity of blood above all and have produced many famous (and infamous) beauties. Even the Targaryen kings and princes of old sometimes turned to Lys in search of wives and paramours, for their blood as for their beauty.

The World of Ice and Fire

Serra had big blue eyes.

Prince Rhaegar’s had been purple.

Cersei IV, Feast 17

Cersei had almost drowned in the depths of his sad purple eyes.

Cersei V, Feast 24

Aegon’s eyes seemed purple too, at least in a certain light . . .

Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father’s eyes were pale, the son’s were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple.

Tyrion IV, Dance 14

. . . but Aegon’s eyes were not as dark as Rheagar’s . . .

"Your father’s lands are beautiful, " he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy’s.

The Griffin Reborn, Dance 61

. . . so, they were more blue . . . like Serra’s.

Notice that the plague that killed Serra came from a ship that carried cloves and saffron (red and black), and jet and jade (black and green), and scarlet samite and green silk (red and green). And recall that the Targaryen dragon is red, and the Blackfyre dragon is black, and that the Dance of the Dragons pitted the blacks against the greens, so, like the samite and the silk we have a red dragon versus a green pretender.

“Griff is different. He has a son he dotes on. Young Griff, the boy is called. There never was a nobler lad.”

Tyrion II, Dance 5

“There never was a nobler lad?” On the surface that is a clue that Young Griff is Aegon, son of Rhaegar. But why would Illyrio care so much about the son of a prince from a foreign land?

“How fares our lad?” asked Illyrio as the chests were being secured. . . .

“He is as tall as Griff now. Three days ago he knocked Duck into a horse trough.”

Tyrion III, Dance 8

See how much Illyrio cares?

“There is a gift for the boy in one of the chests. Some candied ginger. He was always fond of it.” Illyrio sounded oddly sad.

Tyrion III, Dance 8

Here, Illyrio recalls Young Griff’s boyhood, and this recollection saddens him. Why?

“I thought I might continue on to Ghoyan Drohe with you. A farewell feast before you start downriver . . .”

Tyrion III, Dance 8

Illyrio yearns to feast the party before they travel on. Why? Obviously, to see Young Griff, no?

“We have no time for feasts, my lord,” said Haldon. “Griff means to strike downriver the instant we are back. News has been coming upriver, none of it good. Dothraki have been seen north of Dagger Lake, outriders from old Motho’s khalasar, and Khal Zekko is not far behind him, moving through the Forest of Qohor.”

The fat man made a rude noise. “Zekko visits Qohor every three or four years. The Qohorik give him a sack of gold and he turns east again. As for Motho, his men are near as old as he is, and there are fewer every year. The threat is—“ . . .

Tyrion III, Dance 8

As Haldon begins to explain why they have no time to feast, Illyrio dismisses the excuse. He really wants to see Young Griff, doesn’t he?

“Good fortune,” Illyrio called after them. “Tell the boy I am sorry that I will not be with him for his wedding. I will rejoin you in Westeros. That I swear, by my sweet Serra’s hands.”

Tyrion III, Dance 8

OK, stop right there . . . What wedding is he talking about? Since the boy appears to be Aegon, and since we know how incestuous the Targaryens are, the reader assumes Griff is taking Young Griff to wed Daenerys. But why is Illyrio swearing to rejoin Young Griff or Aegon by his “sweet Serra’s hands?”

The last that Tyrion Lannister saw of Illyrio Mopatis, the magister was standing by his litter in his brocade robes, his massive shoulders slumped. As his figure dwindled in their dust, the lord of cheese looked almost small.

Tyrion III, Dance 8

So Illyrio was very sad to have missed the boy. Again, why would Illyrio care so much about the son of a prince from a foreign land? And think about that last line—Illyrio’s figure is dwindling. Doesn’t that suggest that another is figure is rising to take his place? So, who is Aegon to Illyrio?

Maybe he seemed smaller because the whole supper fat thing is an act?

maybe the first question should be just: who is Illyrio?

"Regal," Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. "

Well, those clues are all known, right?

The eye stuff is insignificant, though - Rhaegar, Viserys, and Dany all have different shades of purplish blue eyes despite the fact that they are all descendants of incestuous parents and grandparents. Not to mention that various shades of purple/blue are common among the Targaryens. Jaehaerys and Alysanne, the ancestors of all the royal branches of House Targaryen, had both blue eyes yet many of their descendants had eyes of a very deep purple (off the top of my head I remember Rhaenyra, Aegon III, Egg, Jaehaerys II, and Aerys II).

In that sense, it can hardly be construed a clue that Aegon isn't Rhaegar's son because his eyes are a lighter purple than Rhaegar's.

Not to mention that Aegon's eyes tend to appear more blueish due to the blue hair. Tyrion later notices that they look more purplish in different light (or after you have studied them more closely, presumably). Connington himself is also under the impression of the blue hair when he remarks on Aegon's eyes later on, since the boy has yet to wash the dye out of his hair.

Note that exactly the same thing happens in TMK when it is John the Fiddler's clothing that makes his eyes appear a deep blue whereas a closer inspection of the eye color makes them appear to be of a purplish color. The change of clothes and hair color later on brings out the purple in his eyes even more. Therefore I'd not be surprised one bit if Aegon's eyes appear to be a very deep purple to, say, Arianne if she ends up meeting him wearing a purple doublet or something like that. Bottom line is they are of the Valyrian purplish blue and not a 'normal blue' whatever the hell that's supposed to mean ;-).

For me, the most strange thing is that although Aegon is already 18 years old and certainly an adult man (even in today's standard), everybody keeps saying he is a lad, young boy, child, etc. And treat him as if he is a little kid. 

But this age, it is more than enough to rule by his own right. 

And for Robb, Jon, Sam, they are all much younger than him, but are not called intensively like a lad, boy, etc.

Why?

Well, those clues are all known, right?

The eye stuff is insignificant, though - Rhaegar, Viserys, and Dany all have different shades of purplish blue eyes despite the fact that they are all descendants of incestuous parents and grandparents. Not to mention that various shades of purple/blue are common among the Targaryens. Jaehaerys and Alysanne, the ancestors of all the royal branches of House Targaryen, had both blue eyes yet many of their descendants had eyes of a very deep purple (off the top of my head I remember Rhaenyra, Aegon III, Egg, Jaehaerys II, and Aerys II).

In that sense, it can hardly be construed a clue that Aegon isn't Rhaegar's son because his eyes are a lighter purple than Rhaegar's.

Not to mention that Aegon's eyes tend to appear more blueish due to the blue hair. Tyrion later notices that they look more purplish in different light (or after you have studied them more closely, presumably). Connington himself is also under the impression of the blue hair when he remarks on Aegon's eyes later on, since the boy has yet to wash the dye out of his hair.

Note that exactly the same thing happens in TMK when it is John the Fiddler's clothing that makes his eyes appear a deep blue whereas a closer inspection of the eye color makes them appear to be of a purplish color. The change of clothes and hair color later on brings out the purple in his eyes even more. Therefore I'd not be surprised one bit if Aegon's eyes appear to be a very deep purple to, say, Arianne if she ends up meeting him wearing a purple doublet or something like that. Bottom line is they are of the Valyrian purplish blue and not a 'normal blue' whatever the hell that's supposed to mean ;-).

I disagree as to the importance ofcthe eye color. This is a novel not a paternity test or a study in genetics. What does the author tell us? He tells us that Aegon has blue eyes, as did Serra, that only seem purple by the lamplight. And even so, Aegon's are much lighter than Rhaegar's were. Does that mean Aegon must not be Rhaegar's son? Of course not. But what is the author suggesting to the reader? 

Because Aegon wasn't yet thrown into the thick of things, like Robb, Dany, Jon etc. were, yet if you remember his last appearance in ADwD he effectively runs things now - but Jon Connington has yet realize that fact ;-).

Aegon appears to be pliable and all on the ship because they are keeping up appearances, but the boy has been trained for war, and conquest, and kingship. He is not just allowing others to do his ruling for him.

LM,

the author tells us a lot on the eye colors of the Targaryens in other books as well. If you see everything in context the idea that Aegon has Serra's eyes doesn't hold much water in my opinion.

Especially not in light of the fact that we don't know the shade of the blond of young Illyrio (drunken Tyrion didn't inspect the statue all that closely) nor his eye color, for that matter.

And again, before any POV sees Aegon in without the blue hair we don't really know how his eyes look under conditions that are not artificially created to hide the fact he has purple eyes.

They certainly decided to dye his hair blue rather than, say, green, red, or black to kill two birds with one stone - to hide the Valyrian silver-gold hair and to Valyrian purple eyes.

For me, the only use about aegon's eye color and rhaegar's color is to hint he is fake. 

It is natural to think two light eye colored parents can produce kid with deeper colored eyes, like aerys and rhaella, but a black eyed elia and deep purple eyed rhaegar probably can not get a kid with a lighter purple eye color. 

Maybe he seemed smaller because the whole supper fat thing is an act?

maybe the first question should be just: who is Illyrio?

"Regal," Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. "

Illyrio is a wealthy Pentoshi magister, and dealer in dragonbone among owho left the Targlings to swing in the breeze when they needed aid, but gave them comfort when he was ready to play them. Varys follows his orders, and together they kept Daenerys alive after Robert attempted to assassinate her. He wept wjen Viserys and Drogo died, but sent Barristan to retrieve her when he learned about the dragon hatchlings. He signed a contract in blood with the Golden Company and he can order them about without paying them. And he backs thos boy Aegon. So what is Aegon to Illyrio? 

The most strange thing is that although Aegon is already 18 years old and certainly an adult man (even in today's standard), everybody keeps saying he is a lad, young boy, child, etc. And treat him as if he is a little kid. 

But this age, it is more than enough to rule by his own right. 

And for Robb, Jon, Sam, they are all much younger than him, but are not called intensively like a lad, boy, etc.

Why?

Because he's really only fifteen, sixteen, or near enough to make no matter. 

Because Aegon wasn't yet thrown into the thick of things, like Robb, Dany, Jon etc. were, yet if you remember his last appearance in ADwD he effectively runs things now - but Jon Connington has yet realize that fact ;-).

Aegon appears to be pliable and all on the ship because they are keeping up appearances, but the boy has been trained for war, and conquest, and kingship. He is not just allowing others to do his ruling for him.

LM,

the author tells us a lot on the eye colors of the Targaryens in other books as well. If you see everything in context the idea that Aegon has Serra's eyes doesn't hold much water in my opinion.

Especially not in light of the fact that we don't know the shade of the blond of young Illyrio (drunken Tyrion didn't inspect the statue all that closely) nor his eye color, for that matter.

And again, before any POV sees Aegon in without the blue hair we don't really know how his eyes look under conditions that are not artificially created to hide the fact he has purple eyes.

They certainly decided to dye his hair blue rather than, say, green, red, or black to kill two birds with one stone - to hide the Valyrian silver-gold hair and to Valyrian purple eyes.

I got a silver stag says Aegon's hair is "pale golden and streaked with silver."

For me, the only use about aegon's eye color and rhaegar's color is to hint he is fake. 

It is natural to think two light eye colored parents can produce kid with deeper colored eyes, like aerys and rhaella, but a black eyed elia and deep purple eyed rhaegar probably can not get a kid with a lighter purple eye color. 

What is possible Is not as relevant here as what is suggested. And the author is suggesting that Aegon's are more like Serra's than Rhaegar's. 

Illyrio is a wealthy Pentoshi magister, and dealer in dragonbone among owho left the Targlings to swing in the breeze when they needed aid, but gave them comfort when he was ready to play them. Varys follows his orders, and together they kept Daenerys alive after Robert attempted to assassinate her. He wept wjen Viserys and Drogo died, but sent Barristan to retrieve her when he learned about the dragon hatchlings. He signed a contract in blood with the Golden Company and he can order them about without paying them. And he backs thos boy Aegon. So what is Aegon to Illyrio? 

I don't think he actually signed a contract in blood, not the way Stannis signs the deal with the Iron Bank of Bravos at least.  Ilyrio says "Some contracts are writ in ink, others in blood".  He doesn't say the contract was signed in blood, but written in blood.  To me this can only suggest that he is referring to the Golden Companies original purpose.

Edited for grammer.

His voucher into Westerosi Politics. He is rich as hell, now he is funding his campaign. Of course, Westeros is not a democracy, so he is installing a puppet King. In fact, he is so rich he doesn't really need the money of Westeros, he is just a power hungry fat man.

Imagine a Venice patrician trying to get his hands in France.

I don't think he actually signed a contract in blood, not the way Stannis signs the deal with the Iron Bank of Bravos at least.  Ilyrio says "Some contracts are writ in ink, others in blood".  He doesn't say the contract was signed in blood, but written in blood.  To me this can only suggest that he is referring to the Golden Companies original purpose.

Edited for grammer.

I dId not necessarily mean that literally. I doubt the blood the line referred to was what the contract was actually written in. More like it was what the contract was based on. 

His voucher into Westerosi Politics. He is rich as hell, now he is funding his campaign. Of course, Westeros is not a democracy, so he is installing a puppet King. In fact, he is so rich he doesn't really need the money of Westeros, he is just a power hungry fat man.

Imagine a Venice patrician trying to get his hands in France.

That explanation completely ignores and fails to take into account what the author told us about Illyrio's yearning to see Aegon and palpable sadness at not being able to see the noble young lad.

That explanation completely ignores and fails to take into account what the author told us about Illyrio's yearning to see Aegon and palpable sadness at not being able to see the noble young lad.

Honestly, I was not aware of that. Anyways, there is no reason to believe Illyrio can't love Aegon even if he is using him as a way to get power in the West. These are not self-excluding.

Honestly, I was not aware of that. Anyways, there is no reason to believe Illyrio can't love Aegon even if he is using him as a way to get power in the West. These are not self-excluding.

True. But then why would the author give us clues to show that Illyrio cares so much for the noble young lad? 

Archived