Interesting description of Illyrio

dRagonese

When Arya is trapped in the black cells her description of Illyrio tickled my soul a little. " grossly fat but he seemed to walk lightly carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer mite. " This gives a little credence to the idea of Illyrio as a blackfyre in my opinion, but other then that it just highlights his past as a sword fighter in some aspect. And although he got gluttonous and gigantic he still moves like a water dancer witch I find cool.

I wonder why this detail was important to be included as soon as AGoT and later confirmed in ADwD. So the paranoid readership can assume that Illyrio is telling Tyrion the truth without coming out with conspiracy theories? It is important that he was handsome once, or that he had been a braaavo?

He was a braavo when he was young so maybe he still retained some of that grace even with the immense weight gain.

Agreed besides if that statue in the courtyard is any indication he was quite slim in his youth.

When Arya is trapped in the black cells her description of Illyrio tickled my soul a little. " grossly fat but he seemed to walk lightly carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer mite. " This gives a little credence to the idea of Illyrio as a blackfyre in my opinion, but other then that it just highlights his past as a sword fighter in some aspect. And although he got gluttonous and gigantic he still moves like a water dancer witch I find cool.

I don't see how you go from Illyrio as a Bravo and a water dancer to him being a Blackfyre, though. Can you elaborate?

Even though I hate the crackpots where everyone is secretly someone else Illyrio being able to move gracefully despite his huge weight could mean he is glamoured

this is what I believe as well there are several instances where he seams smaller than he appears as well as the way he walks. The glamour can be explaned by the jewled rings he has.

Even though I hate the crackpots where everyone is secretly someone else Illyrio being able to move gracefully despite his huge weight could mean he is glamoured

You can be super fat and graceful, look at the hippos in "Fantasia"

But seriously, if Tyrion's waddling about all over the place and his knees hurt when climbing steps, and then the next minute he's doing cartwheels and fighting in battles, it isn't farfetched to think Illyrio retains some of the grace of his youth.

But seriously, if Tyrion's waddling about all over the place and his knees hurt when climbing steps, and then the next minute he's doing cartwheels and fighting in battles, it isn't farfetched to think Illyrio retains some of the grace of his youth.

Yeah, I believe it has more to do with Illyrio's warrior training past than glamour. After all, we are in an Arya's chapter, she was training to be a water dancer, that's why she noticed how Illyrio moves.

This is not an isolated incident. 

"Regal," Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. "May the Lord of Light shower you with blessings on this most fortunate day, Princess Daenerys," the magister said as he took her hand. He bowed his head, showing a thin glimpse of crooked yellow teeth through the gold of his beard. "She is a vision, Your Grace, a vision," he told her brother. "Drogo will be enraptured."

Maybe he isn't really that fat? After all he wouldn't be the only one in the story to have a fake appearance 

There was a group of chubby guys in America's Best Dance Crews that could have made the allegory better, but as I can't find them, ok, let's say the hippos :lol:

He was a braavo when he was young so maybe he still retained some of that grace even with the immense weight gain.

I would think it would be this. Martin may have changed his story outline from when Game was published to when Dance was published, but his characters overall remained similar, if not the same. Little details like this are part of what makes the world a real seeming place to the reader.

I don't see how you go from Illyrio as a Bravo and a water dancer to him being a Blackfyre, though. Can you elaborate?

Your rite isn't anything really groundbreaking towards the blackfyre theory but i just thought it was cool and along with some more research it could be used to back up a blackfyre theory

This is not an isolated incident. 

"Regal," Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. "May the Lord of Light shower you with blessings on this most fortunate day, Princess Daenerys," the magister said as he took her hand. He bowed his head, showing a thin glimpse of crooked yellow teeth through the gold of his beard. "She is a vision, Your Grace, a vision," he told her brother. "Drogo will be enraptured."

Maybe he isn't really that fat? After all he wouldn't be the only one in the story to have a fake appearance 

Flame-colored silk

Gemstones glittering

Moving gracefully for being so fat

Invokes the Lord of Light

>is a secret Red Priest using a glamour

I agree that this is in favor of Illyrio speaking the truth about his past as a bravo, just as a similar passage from one of Dany's first chapters does.

But I'm not sure how you'd go from this to "gives little credence to the idea of Illyrio as a Blackfyre".. Could you please elaborate? :) 

Archived