Opinions on Hizdahr

INCBlackbird

I haven't seen a lot about Hizdahr on this forum and what I saw was only negative. I actually quite like Hizdahr, he's not in my top 5, possibly not even in my top 10 but still, he's one of the reasons I actually really enjoyed Dany's ADWD chapters, while I was never a huge fan of hers (also didn't dislike her though... yes, it's possible to be neutral about her) So I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who likes him. And even if you don't, what's your opinion of him?

I don't dislike him I just don't think he's a very deep guy. He kinda came into a little bit of power lazily to me and is going to lose his life in my even easier in my opinion.  I do think he tried to kill Dany but he botched that too. So I guess there's not a lot of good I can say about him even though I dont blame him for trying to kill her I probably would have to if i where him and all I ever knew is what he has known. 

Eh he's mostly just another filthy slaver in the books.  I'm sure he was planning to have Dany have some sort of unfortunate accident as soon as she spits out a kid of his, whether or not he was involved in the locust thing.

He's a better character in the show TBH - and there I felt he was an extremely sympathetic character!  

I don't dislike him I just don't think he's a very deep guy. He kinda came into a little bit of power lazily to me and is going to lose his life in my even easier in my opinion.  I do think he tried to kill Dany but he botched that too. So I guess there's not a lot of good I can say about him even though I dont blame him for trying to kill her I probably would have to if i where him and all I ever knew is what he has known. 

This is actually kind of why I like him. He's so "pathetic" that I sorta feel sorry for him. I mean... I tend to like characters like that in general, I'm also a fan of Lancel for example. But yeah I agree with you, he tends to fail at everything. I would actually like to read more about him because as off now, he's indeed not a very deep guy, I would like to know a bit more about him but i'm not exaclty counting on getting that. I don't think he's important enough.

I haven't seen a lot about Hizdahr on this forum and what I saw was only negative. I actually quite like Hizdahr, he's not in my top 5, possibly not even in my top 10 but still, he's one of the reasons I actually really enjoyed Dany's ADWD chapters, while I was never a huge fan of hers (also didn't dislike her though... yes, it's possible to be neutral about her) So I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who likes him. And even if you don't, what's your opinion of him?

Hizdahr is not the harpy but he is very much involved with them.  He's a slaver, who was going to kill Tyrion and Penny just for laughs.  I'm not a fan of Hizdahr but I don't think he's as dangerous as the Green Grace.  Ramsay, Hizdahr, and Arya would get along very well.

I don't think hizdahr is a bad guy, he really just seems kind of incompetent. Like what Barristan thinks whenbloodbeard tossed out Groleo's head; he did nothing. The purpose of Hizdahr might just be to show that people really aren't so different all over. Hizdahr was a good match because of his wealth and ancestry, not too different from the selection process in Westeros. And just like in Westeros, his birth and wealth do not make him a good leader. Personally I think hizdahr is a puppet of the harpy as opposed to a servant.  

As a Dany fan i don't like him. She was essentially forced into a marriage with him. And I'm pretty confident he's not the Harpy but he knows who is and could've stopped it if he was so inclined. Once again I don't think he was behind the attempted poisoning of Dany but he knows who was & was at least tried to help or didn't try to stop it.

I don't much care for Dany as a ruler. Marrying Hizdahr was up there on her bad decisions list if her goal is really to get to Westeros. As for him personally, I just see him as a slothful representation of the status quo in Mereen. Which I never found that interesting.

Eh he's mostly just another filthy slaver in the books.  I'm sure he was planning to have Dany have some sort of unfortunate accident as soon as she spits out a kid of his, whether or not he was involved in the locust thing.

He's a better character in the show TBH - and there I felt he was an extremely sympathetic character!  

Yeah, I felt bad for him on the show, but that's because he was channeling Sansa non stop.

Just a guy trying to make the best of a very bad situation. Marrying Dany was a smart move for him and getting the slave pits opened probably helped relieved some of the tensions in Mereen. I very much doubt he is the Harpy or planning anything stupid like killing her. She just made him king and he has gotten most of the things he wanted. GG

• 2 years later...
On 12/12/2015 at 11:56 PM, Lord Wraith said:

Just a guy trying to make the best of a very bad situation. Marrying Dany was a smart move for him and getting the slave pits opened probably helped relieved some of the tensions in Mereen. I very much doubt he is the Harpy or planning anything stupid like killing her. She just made him king and he has gotten most of the things he wanted. GG

Seems about right to me. I do think he is a puppet of the Harpy (knowingly or not). 

On 2/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, Euron Lannister said:

i would like to see him surviving and becoming a problem when Daenerys wants to claim the iron throne.

I doubt he would be a problem. Polygamy isn't unheard of for the targaryens. Also, I can see him being murdered the moment he appears to become a problem.

2 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Seems about right to me. I do think he is a puppet of the Harpy (knowingly or not). 

I agree that he is definitely a puppet of the Harpy.  He is not the Harpy.  I am in the "the Green Grace is the Harpy" camp due to the Harpy being female.  The Green Grace recommends and really sets up Dany and Hizdahr as a marriage and she even arrives to meet Dany with Hizdahr.  She also really convinces Dany to re-open the fighting pits upon marrying Hizdahr.  I agree that Hizdahr doesn't quite come across as evil (ignoring of course his pro-slavery stance).  I don't think he tried to poison Dany and I get more of a general sense of incompetence and cowardice than any sort of conniving manipulative evil that I get from the Green Grace.  

On 12/12/2015 at 9:28 PM, Maxxine said:

As a Dany fan i don't like him. She was essentially forced into a marriage with him. And I'm pretty confident he's not the Harpy but he knows who is and could've stopped it if he was so inclined. Once again I don't think he was behind the attempted poisoning of Dany but he knows who was & was at least tried to help or didn't try to stop it.

I'm a Dany fan too and I don't like Hizdahr.  I don't hate him but I am cognizant that he's evil.  He puts people in the fighting pits and enjoys watching the innocents die.  He was planning to set a pride of peckish lions on Tyrion as his way of a practical joke.

Archived