What if Robert dies instead of Rhaegar at the Trident?

John Doe

It was Rhaeghar's death that seemed to cause his army to flee, so I reckon the battle on the Trident could very well have swung the other way. If we assume that happens, then the crown would undoubtedly have won the war. Especially with the Tyrells yet to even bloody their (ridiculously) extensive forces.

However, if we assume that the rebels would have won,  the idea of who becomes king would be very difficult to figure out. The Lannisters and the Starks would never bow to each other, and Jon Arryn was too old and without an heir. I imagine that something like the WOT5K would have broken out much earlier after a period of massive political tension.

Like the real war it still depends on Tywin and who he wants to crown. If Arryn can convince him that Stannis is decent prospect as King then it may still be a Rebel victory, or if Tywin has faith that Rhaegar can politically manoeuvre his father to the side then he might accept the Handship again and support Rhaegar (and Aerys by association).

What if this happened, would the rebell forces still have won (I think probably yes)? Who would be king? Would the Tyrells and dornish make peace with the rebells if their crown prince was still alive?

Then THE WHOLE STORY  doesn't work.   You gotta love these "What if the author wrote a different book?" Posts. Maybe try reading another of Grrm's novels? 

Then THE WHOLE STORY  doesn't work.   You gotta love these "What if the author wrote a different book?" Posts. Maybe try reading another of Grrm's novels? 

The Thousand Worlds books seem to be interesting. Or the Wild Card series perhaps?

Rhaegar would probably have won the battle.  He could then get Tywin to join him through his promise of "making changes", and then would have deposed his father.

If Rhaegar lost the battle despite living and killing Robert, I think the same end is still plausible.  Without the Lannisters, I think the Rebels would still be weaker than the Loyalists.  Without the alternative of Robert, Ned and Jon would probably have been willing to bend the knee to King Rhaegar, especially with Rhaegar able to explain that Lyanna was not a victim and if he granted them favourable terms of surrender.  Stannis might have held out for another year or two, but in the end he'd have been neutralised.

More war.  The Tyrells would be in GREAT shape.  If I were Mace I would throw my forces at SE and kill Stannis and take Renly hostage.   

I think Bob dying would bring Tywin in the fold, on the side of the Loyalists.  He states "Robert was too strong."   Without a clear leader, maybe Tywin goes in for Rhaegar.

ETA: I think Bob dying would've broken rebels, even with their great leadership.  Jon, Hoster and Ned couldve retreated in order to evaluate the situation after their King dies

There was no peace to be had. Its been a while, but I recall that the rebels were already winning the battle and Rhaegar dying only sealed the defeat. Rhaegar was probably going to die on the Trident even with Bob dead. If he lived and was captured thats a whole other scenario.

To many variables. All depends on what Tywin would do. If Rhaegar lived and escaped to kings landing perhaps tywin could be brought over, but he would never back Aery's.

I would love to see Stannis marries Cersei. 

Stannis at least is not a whoremonger, so cersei may feel much better with him than a terrible Robert. 

Thing is, though, Stannis is not an excessively handsome man, nor is he very well liked. Cersei fell for Robert's rock star-like reputation when they first met. Stannis is certainly the better man than Robert in terms of military strategy, morality, ethics, and a bunch of things that matter when you're in charge, but don't necessarily help to make people like you.

Thing is, though, Stannis is not an excessively handsome man, nor is he very well liked. Cersei fell for Robert's rock star-like reputation when they first met. Stannis is certainly the better man than Robert in terms of military strategy, morality, ethics, and a bunch of things that matter when you're in charge, but don't necessarily help to make people like you.

at least he would not speak lyanna's name in his wedding bed. 

He would not cheat cersei and he would appreciate her beauty. 

Cersei may feel not that satisfied with his look in the beginning but after they have their children and cersei got older, I think they would be better than cersei and Robert. 

Robert is pretty much the fourth worst husband you can have in westeros. 

Only aegon IV maegor And Ramsey can beat him on this. 

Such a faith in Tywin... If he really wanted to support royalists, he would have done so while royalists still had the upper had - in the early stages of the rebellion, and certainly before the battle of Trident. Why the hell would he voluntarily join the losing side? Even he himself said that the outcome of the war was obvious after Trident, so he hurried to the KL and slew Rhaegar's kids to convince Robert of his loyalty.

With Robert dying and Rhagear surviving not much would have changed. Rebels would still have won, it would just take more time and casualties. Rhaegar would either have died or joined Viserys and Dany in exile (which would be a major plus for and pro-Targ restoration conspiracy), and the rebels would elect a different king. Probably Stannis.

He would also not be banging his Estermont cousins in the same castle while his newly wed wife slept alone.

There had been a female cousin too, a chunky little widow with breasts as big as melons whose husband and father had both died at Storm's End during the siege. "Her father was good to me," Robert told her, "and she and I would play together when the two of us were small." It did not take him long to start playing with her again. As soon as Cersei closed her eyes, the king would steal off to console the poor lonely creature. One night she had Jaime follow him, to confirm her suspicions. When her brother returned he asked her if she wanted Robert dead. "No," she had replied, "I want him horned."

It would still have ended up an unhappy marriage and she may eventually have started cheating with her brother but I don't think it would have happened so soon nor do I think she would have deliberately had another man's children.

Stannis would be, at the very least,  a little more attentive to his new beautiful wife than Robert was.

Joff? Craster? Walder?

Joff is not husband yet.

Craster is not in westeros technically. 

Walder? What is wrong with him as a husband? We have not heard he abandoned and abused his wives and left them helpless. He did have a few bastards, but he remained loyal to his family. 

Joff is not husband yet.

Craster is not in westeros technically. 

Walder? What is wrong with him as a husband? We have not heard he abandoned and abused his wives and left them helpless. He did have a few bastards, but he remained loyal to his family. 

"I'll get another."

And Robert was loyal to his family too (well, no less than Walder at least), or who gave them their castles and seats on the Small Council?

Archived