Best Way to Catch Up Before Winds of Winter

Jerol

I tried posting this and the forum crashed so I'll try again. Winter has come to The North (Dakota) and we are indeed exposed to its winds. For some odd reason, I think we'll see a new book early this summer which means I've got to re-familiarize myself with thousands upon thousands of pages and just about as many plots. I've re-read the first three books about three times, the fourth once, and DwD twice. I'm old and I have a few hundred books sitting in my to-read pile. I also have a limited amount of reading time. So how do I catch up? I thought about going through the chapter summaries on the Wiki might do the trick but even that might take awhile. 

What is your preferred method of dipping your toe back into the Westeros waters? 

If you don't want to do a complete re-read yourself, the Davos Fingers podcast is doing a reread of all the books with chapter by chapter summaries & analysis plus theories at the end of every episode. They're not necessarily as knowledgeable as some other podcasts but that what I kinda like about them. There just regular fans like me. Not people who are completely immersed & live and breathe it and seem like they have no lives. The only problem is right now they just now started ASOS & do 5 chapters every 2 weeks so I'm not sure they're going to be caught up by early next year (which is rumored to be when the book is going to be released)

My partner and I plan on doing a full reread once an announcement is made about it going to the publisher....this time though we want to read using Boiled Leather's AFFC/ADWD combined reading order for the chapters in those two (sorry I don't have a link handy)....along with a list of notes we've been jotting down of all the plot points and things we'd like to pay closer attention too.

I highly recommend the radio westeros podcasts (http://radiowesteros.com). I've been listening on my phone during errands and driving and such. They are really smart, and appreciate the literary aspects of the books as much as the action. They discuss theories too, sometimes bringing in another expert to present them. They prepare extremely well; there's no self-indulgent time wasting. And they are funny.

The shows are each based around a different major character, usually, although they did an episode about R+L=J, and one about the Long Night. I've reread a lot, although not in sequence, and I read the forums, but I never caught a lot of the stuff that they bring up. And when they consider a theory, I trust them to be rigorous about it and not just go with their gut feelings.

I don't know how you listen, but it's available on the iPhone podcast app, and on iTunes, and also on their website.

I hope you enjoy it like I am! Also, if you haven't read the World book, it's good, and you should get Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, it's great.

as soon as the release date is announced, I'm going to start my complete re-read & finally do the AFFC/ADWD combo. I'm a fast reader, sometimes I pick up a random asoiaf book & read three chapters at a time just for fun. I get immersed very quickly & think I could do all five in a couple months.

How do you know that? I said, how do you know that? Answer me, thing-in-the-mouth face!

(Brownie points to whoever gets that reference)

What are these signs? I want to know! Show me!

I don't know it, per se. And the only official news on it will only ever come from Not A Blog.

That said:

The Spanish publisher for the book recently said without a doubt that it will be out next year.

The producers for the TV show were recently spotted with copies of the manuscript on set.

They've pushed back the show's premiere date for unspecified reasons.

He's long been on record as saying he wants the book published before the sixth season of the show starts.

And GRRM made a comment on Not A Blog a few weeks ago that went something like "While I'm busy doing this, that and the other thing, my minions will be busy toiling in the paper mines." Paper mines = publishing house, possibly?

As for how I know this, I googled "GRRM Winds of Winter" a couple nights ago while looking for sample chapters and that's some of the stuff that came up.

I tried posting this and the forum crashed so I'll try again. Winter has come to The North (Dakota) and we are indeed exposed to its winds. For some odd reason, I think we'll see a new book early this summer which means I've got to re-familiarize myself with thousands upon thousands of pages and just about as many plots. I've re-read the first three books about three times, the fourth once, and DwD twice. I'm old and I have a few hundred books sitting in my to-read pile. I also have a limited amount of reading time. So how do I catch up? I thought about going through the chapter summaries on the Wiki might do the trick but even that might take awhile. 

What is your preferred method of dipping your toe back into the Westeros waters? 

I can assure you, time is the one thing you will NOT lack if you plan on waiting for WOW. I'm pretty sure a chapter a day can make you finish the series at least twice before WOW considering GRRM takes a LONG time to finish.

I can assure you, time is the one thing you will NOT lack if you plan on waiting for WOW. I'm pretty sure a chapter a day can make you finish the series at least twice before WOW considering GRRM takes a LONG time to finish.

He's had five years already. Same amount of time that Feast and Dance took. And if anything, the writing's gone quicker for him this time than it did for Dance, on account of no Meereenese Knot. I'd say we're right on schedule.

I feel it in my bones... I feel it in my blood... Trust me... this Wednesday you will have the thing you wanted all aloooooong.. /o/

I am finally getting Margot Robbie? Sweeeeet! Does she come with a bow? She comes with a bow doesn't she? I should probably start doing some sit ups, I need to look jacked. Buuuut Dunkin Donuts is having a special, OMG Margot Robbie is going to bring me donuts and she will be in a bow.

Right now, the signs are pointing to a February/March release. So I'd get started on whatever you're going to do quick.

You know I saw some signs on my way home, they said stop, yield, no parking, lots of signs, none of them gave me a release date for the book though, you must have very different signs where you live. I saw a Billboard, that's a sign it had Bill Murray on it, it made me happy, but no book release date. He was wearing a bow, that's a sign I am getting Margot Robbie and Bill Murray she will feed me Donuts and Bill Murray will tell me funny anecdotes. It going to be the best day ever.

My preferred method?  An outline.  Barring that, just a list of events that drove the plot forward.  Like this =

• The Starks find the direwolves
  • Ned Stark goes to King's Landing, to become Hand of the King
  • Catelyn arrests Tyrion, for the attempted murder of Bran.  Tywin responds by attacking the Riverlands
  • Princess Daenerys Targaryen weds Khal Drogo
  • Ned discovers Cersei's secret, gives her fair warning before telling Robert.  Sansa betrays Ned and tells Cersei of his secret escape plan.
  • Robert dies, assassinated by the Lannisters.  Cersei turns the table and has Ned arrested.  Littlefinger betrays Ned.
  • Prince Viserys and his bad manners gets him in trouble with Khal Drogo.  He is killed with a crown of gold.
  • Jon Snow becomes the steward of the Lord Commander.  He deserts his post at the wall but his low-born friends have more honor and talked him back to wall.
  • Khaleesi Daenerys wins over Khal Drogo's heart and grows stronger.  She gets pregnant.
  • An attempt was made on Khaleesi's life, but Jorah saves her.  Khal Drogo makes plans to invade Westeros.
  • Arya learns to water dance.
  • Tyrion and Bronn leave the Eyrie and enlists the services of Shagga and his tribe.
  • Jaime is captured in battle, outsmarted by Robb Stark.
  • Khal Drogo is badly wounded.  Mirri Maz Duur agrees to help but actually poisons Drogo.  Drogo loses his mind and becomes a vege.
  • Mirri Maz Duur murders the unborn Rhaego. 
  • Ned Stark admits to treason and Joffrey decides to behead him.
  • Daenerys builds a funeral pyre for Drogo, roasts Mirri for her betrayal and treason. 
  • Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion are born.  Daenerys is reborn as Azor Ahai.

Archived