How long did Stannis know?

Bush did 7-Eleven

How long do you think Stannis suspected that Robert and Cersei's kids were not Robert's? I know Ned sent him that letter saying so, but he seemed to accept that they were born of incest rather quickly. Was it just his opinion that Ned was so honorable that he couldn't possibly be lying? I know he said he never liked Ned, but I think he voiced his opinion at some point that he thought he was honorable or something like that. It just seems like he must have had some kind of suspicion prior to Ned's letter, and if he did then why not tell Robert?

How long do you think Stannis suspected that Robert and Cersei's kids were not Robert's? I know Ned sent him that letter saying so, but he seemed to accept that they were born of incest rather quickly. Was it just his opinion that Ned was so honorable that he couldn't possibly be lying? I know he said he never liked Ned, but I think he voiced his opinion at some point that he thought he was honorable or something like that. It just seems like he must have had some kind of suspicion prior to Ned's letter, and if he did then why not tell Robert?

Thats the show story. In the books Stannis is the one who discovered it first. So either you are in the wrong forum or you should read the books again. 

Sorry for question off topic, but what is Stannis-Ned relation? If my memory is good, Stannis figuered it out and told Jon Arryn because it would be oportunistic from Stannis if he had approached Robert with that and he tought that king can see the truth if it comes from Jons mouth. After that both of them went searching for bastards.

Sorry for question off topic, but what is Stannis-Ned relation?

Stannis is bitter and jealous of Ned believing he took the Handship from him.

Ned seems to have no major problem with Stannis nor seems to be close to him.

I don't really get the whole Stannis thing.  I may be misreading his character, but it seems like he'd talk to Robert the second he found out about it rather than wait for Jon to die and then run off.  

Maybe he wanted Jon to be the one to tell Robert, and then when he died Stannis felt unsafe.  But even then, after running away he'd have sent a letter to Robert, wouldn't he?  Or Ned?  Or someone?  Or done something.  Of course, he raised sellsails, but what the hell was that about?  That doesn't make any sense unless he thought Robert was likely to die so Stannis was going to have to fight for the realm soon - in which case, why did Stannis still not say anything?  Did he think it would be easier to prove the Lannister incest after Robert died?  C'mon now. . .

Maybe he wanted Jon to be the one to tell Robert, and then when he died Stannis felt unsafe.  But even then, after running away he'd have sent a letter to Robert, wouldn't he?  Or Ned?

He did want Jon to be one to tell Robert. Like anyone would in his position, Stannis tought that Jon was killed because of his investigation and assumed that he is next. Sending a letter is risky, but it was definetly a huge mistake that he kept it for himself. It would be smartest by far to tell Ned, he can be sure that Ned wont betray him(honour, moral, etc). He didnt tell Ned maybe because he resented him over handship him, but it seems off his character to me. He could send Davos( he most certanly could smuglle himself to KL and Robert) to deliver letter where he would explain everything from begining. If Robert didnt trust him, he will probably counsel Ned and he could confirm it.

Also the fact that Robert loved Ned more than Stannis. Ned respects Stannis for his military victories and his sence for duty. Stannis also respects Ned, but is also jealous to his relationship with Robert. 

He isn't friends with Ned at all, and is a bit bitter yes. But he still respects him and considers him very honorable etc. As what he tells to Jon Snow when discussing Ned

In the books Stannis and J. Arryn suspected it long before Ned knew, and then Arryn ended up dead Stannis fled the capital thinking that he was killed because he was getting too close to the truth

That does not appear to be true.

Jon Arryn died and Stannis was still in the city for the funeral, he stayed in after that. Robert then announced that he was going North to see Ned, took half the court with him and Stannis still stuck around was still in the capital when the Royal court had left.

Stannis didnt flee for his safety he left because he was upset over Robert making Ned his new Hand. Had Stannis been made Hand he would have stuck around, his complaints make no sense otherwise.

Jon Arryn died and Stannis was still in the city for the funeral, he stayed in after that. Robert then announced that he was going North to see Ned, took half the court with him and Stannis still stuck around was still in the capital when the Royal court had left.

Stannis didnt flee for his safety he left because he was upset over Robert making Ned his new Hand. Had Stannis been made Hand he would have stuck around, his complaints make no sense otherwise.

Yes, this is true. Stannis left because he was salty about Ned becoming Hand instead of him. Stannis was not the Mannis he is in the later books yet at this point. Just a spiteful bitter man.

When is this stated in the books?  

I got the impression he left as soon as he could without uproar, i.e. when Robert's court had left the capital, and then began amassing his forces.  Why would he amass his forces if he were just pissy about being Ned being made Hand?  For sure, if Stannis had been made Hand, and received the implied trust such an appointment would grant, I'm sure he would have stuck around and told Robert, so in a sense he left because he wasn't made Hand, but it's a little different from how you're presenting it.  

But I've always been a little confused on what Stannis was supposed to be doing before Robert's death so maybe I'm off here.

When is this stated in the books?  

Which part?

Ned looked down the council table and wondered which were the flatterers and which the fools. He thought he knew already. "We are but five," he pointed out. "Lord Stannis took himself to Dragonstone not long after the king went north," Varys said

So we have a timeline.

1)Jon Arryn gets sick

2)Jon Arryn dies.

3)(In no particular order) Jon Arryn has a funeral, Robert knights Hugh of the Vale, Cersei returns from the Westerlands, Lysa flees the city.

4)Robert arranges his 300 travelling part to go North and appoint Ned as Hand. Leaves City

5) Some time later Stannis leaves

We also have little idea on when he started recruiting, there was around 9 months between the deaths of Jon and Robert. The small Council would have been informed if he was recruiting all that time just as Ned was informed of the armies gathering in the Westerlands and Riverlands.

Stannis took most of the royal fleet to Dragonstone from the start, didn't he?  Hints to me that he wasn't just running away mad because he wasn't Hand, but was preparing for serious trouble.  I think it may even be said that he was building new ships and getting sellsails prior to Robert's death, though admittedly I'm not sure if those are reliable reports.  

But then, as I've said, I don't think Stannis's actions in the first book really make much sense at all however you read them, so meh.  

Archived