The Fantasy Recommendation Thread

MedievalMan

David Keck's In the Eye of Heaven

Spectacular world building and lore that is haunting and chilling, from the Wanderer to the Queen of Heaven, and the places that were broken from time and space bound in a halfworld for eternity. It is full of 12th century style warriors and knights and is overall very believable. Has some of the most brutal descriptions of battle and tournaments and has a sketchy plot but has an excellent typical main character (as in on who isn't brillant, prodigious, and overly unbelievable) who is a young knight errant making his way in the world after losing it all, who has the audiences sympathy the entire time.

Sounds really interesting. My type of story.

I've put it on my to read list.

I was wondering what is usually considered Guy Gavriel Kay's best book. I want to try him because his style sounds interesting, but I've got a huge pile of stuff to read and I doubt I'll end up giving him more than one book to sell me, so I should at least try his best. Of course opinions will vary I'm sure.

Under Heaven interests me the most at the moment, largely because I probably know the least about the setting it is based off.

One more thing. Do any of Guy Gavriel Kay's books need to be read in a particular order?

Only the Fionavar trilogy (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and The Darkest Road) and the Sarantine Mosaic (Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors).

The rest of his books are standalone, though you might want to read Ysabel after the Fionavar trilogy since there are a couple of returning characters (but nothing necessary for comprehension).

Archived