Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

These are extra copies in case something happens or went wrong with the publishing process. They are then sold off and then make their way to eBay, Amazon, etc.

I don't know that Subpress sells these copies. I know PC copies are also created for people who contributed to the book, like authors and artists, that kind of thing

What is the max you guys would pay for Feast and Dance numbered with rights for the future books?

$300.

Years ago I used to go to this fantastic book store in Atlanta called "The Science Fiction and Mystery Bookshop." One day I'm in the store asking the guy behind the counter when the next ASOIAF book was going to come out and he says, "I can't tell you that, but I can tell you my publishing house is doing limited editions of all the books, you should reserve one while we still have plenty left"

I turned him down at first because it seemed really expensive ($280 for the numbered, $380 for the lettered)

I think I went back in 3 or 4 more times before I finally talked myself in to it. I got one of the last lettered (SS) and I've never regretted it because the book is beautiful (even thought I really couldn't afford to spend that amount of money on 1 book). I picked up the CoK matching one in 2005 (again couldn't afford it but damn these books are awesome) and it's just as impressive.

These are literally the only 2 valuable books I own and I never intended to sell them because I'm a huge fan of the series. But for the dollar amounts I see being tossed around here I have to consider it.

How much is a lettered Meisha Merlin GoT/CoK combo worth? I have none of the Subterranean Press editions. After the transition I never got contacted by Sub Press so I assume that someone else has the SS versions of those.

Years ago I used to go to this fantastic book store in Atlanta called "The Science Fiction and Mystery Bookshop." One day I'm in the store asking the guy behind the counter when the next ASOIAF book was going to come out and he says, "I can't tell you that, but I can tell you my publishing house is doing limited editions of all the books, you should reserve one while we still have plenty left"

I turned him down at first because it seemed really expensive ($280 for the numbered, $380 for the lettered)

I think I went back in 3 or 4 more times before I finally talked myself in to it. I got one of the last lettered (SS) and I've never regretted it because the book is beautiful (even thought I really couldn't afford to spend that amount of money on 1 book). I picked up the CoK matching one in 2005 (again couldn't afford it but damn these books are awesome) and it's just as impressive.

These are literally the only 2 valuable books I own and I never intended to sell them because I'm a huge fan of the series. But for the dollar amounts I see being tossed around here I have to consider it.

How much is a lettered Meisha Merlin GoT/CoK combo worth? I have none of the Subterranean Press editions. After the transition I never got contacted by Sub Press so I assume that someone else has the SS versions of those.

This is a difficult question to answer. Most of the value in these books is the ability to craft a full set with future rights. Because your books will not and cannot have that option, their value is diminished.

My best guess--you could maybe get 2000 for both, 1500 for GoT and 500 for CoK.

Of course, if the owner of the SS SubPress books is looking, you could get more to "complete" their set, but as we've seen often in this thread, that's like finding a Needle in a haystark.

The lettered GoT is probably worth more than $1500, with the numbered version selling for $1700-2200 in the past year.

I have the letter "SS" to Tuf Voyaging, also by Meisha Merlin, which I might be willing to trade for another letter to anyone owning the "SS" ASoIaF books.

The lettered GoT is probably worth more than $1500, with the numbered version selling for $1700-2200 in the past year.

I have the letter "SS" to Tuf Voyaging, also by Meisha Merlin, which I might be willing to trade for another letter to anyone owning the "SS" ASoIaF books.

The last few GoTs have been going for much less than 1700. With the announcement of the SubPress versions of GoT and CoK, their resale value has been consistently going down. Sadly (they truly are beautiful books), I fear their value will only continue to slide downward after the SubPress GoT and CoK come out.

Should have spoken with SGC. Pretty sure his sold on eBay for less than that...

If you're talking about this set, it's PC copies which is not quite the same. Doesn't look like they sold. Don't see any other MM GoT sold recently except that lettered copy which had an unusually low But it Now of $1500 on it.

If you're talking about this set, it's PC copies which is not quite the same. Doesn't look like they sold. Don't see any other MM GoT sold recently except that lettered copy which had an unusually low But it Now of $1500 on it.

We can debate this all day long, but "unusually low" Buy it Now of $1,500 is the price that was set. Nothing unusual about it considering the market right now. And the market on MM GoT peaked a year or so back. Once the SubPress versions are published, I imagine the price of the MM books may continue to go down. I could be wrong (and hope I'm wrong as an owner myself). But you never know.

i don't understand. I don't remember any GoT's going for cheaper than usual? Can you link any of them? I haven't seen any decline at all in legit numbered or lettered versions. Maybe I missed these... can you link any?

Decided to research the claim of a decline, so I might as well share. I went back to August 2011 on these forums and found any reference to a sale including MM GoT, and other key sales.

August 2011 - a couple numbered GoTs went for around $1400 each

September 2011 - numbered GoT went for $1945 on eBay

September 2011 – full set of books went for $5300 on eBay

Early 2012 – numbered GoT for $1,300 off eBay

April 2012 – GoT #40 went for $1625 on eBay

link

April 2012 – Storm + Feast only with no rights went for $3050 on ebay:

link

May 2012 – Full set with rights went for $4,550

link

May 2012 – First four books with NO rights went for $3551

link

May 2012 - First three books only went for $2,850 OFF eBay (my own sale)

May 2012 – GoT #116 went for $2100 on eBay

link

May 2012 – Full set with rights went for $5100

link

June 2012 - First three books only + bookmarks for $2132 on eBay

link

June 2012 – First four books with no rights for $4000:

link

2012 also had two sales of full lettered sets off eBay, both for $15,000.

There is some up and down, but no sign of a declining trend I see. But there haven't been any key sales in public recently. "bgc" sold some on this forum in the fall 2012, but I don't think he posted what they went for. And eBay sales should trend higher than private sales due to eBay's fees.

Nice research, coreywt! Looking at those numbers, I think the best time to sell might be around Spring each year (when the TV series is out).

Or in twenty years when the series is done...

But, to go back to my point, there was a time, not so long ago, when a numbered GoT would go for nearly 2000 by itself. That's simply not the case now.

I'm still confused on what basis you make the above statement.

Probably all anecdotal. My own experience, coupled with chatting with members of this board and sellers on eBay, suggest that the MM GoTs (solo) are not going for the same price that they used to. When the TV series first came out in 2011, you would routinely see a GoT go for 2000. Nowadays, it's less. Still insanely high, and probably will always be the gold standard of standalones in the series--First Limited Edition of the First Book in the Series--but I just don't get the sense that they fetch the same prices that they used to.

I don't think it's worth moaning about anymore, though, so I'll leave it at that.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Probably all anecdotal. My own experience, coupled with chatting with members of this board and sellers on eBay, suggest that the MM GoTs (solo) are not going for the same price that they used to. When the TV series first came out in 2011, you would routinely see a GoT go for 2000. Nowadays, it's less. Still insanely high, and probably will always be the gold standard of standalones in the series--First Limited Edition of the First Book in the Series--but I just don't get the sense that they fetch the same prices that they used to.

I don't think it's worth moaning about anymore, though, so I'll leave it at that.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Final PS--coreywt, why did you leave this one off your list? It's the most recent sale of a MM GoT...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Of-Thrones-Limited-Lettered-Edition-Meisha-Merlin-Autographed-/290839784068?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zLpBa%252FKv4MEstbwzZkUZESgiAJI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Went for 1500 just last month. Granted, might have been poor marketing, but still. This and other auctions that simply haven't sold at around those prices all indicate to me that the high-value, 2000ish mark just isn't there like it used to be.

Final PS--coreywt, why did you leave this one off your list? It's the most recent sale of a MM GoT...

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

I left it off because it was a Buy it Now that closed in 2 hours and at least three or four people on this board would have paid more for it. So it's not a good indicator for a trend. It's funny that in post #612 even you thought it was a "crazy good get." It was only a month ago. In the same post you said, "Most MM GoT have been going for closer to 2000." But now you seem to think a lot has changed since January 6.

I left it off because it was a Buy it Now that closed in 2 hours and at least three or four people on this board would have paid more for it. So it's not a good indicator for a trend. It's funny that in post #612 even you thought it was a "crazy good get." It was only a month ago. In the same post you said, "Most MM GoT have been going for closer to 2000." But now you seem to think a lot has changed since January 6.

A lettered MM GoT? For "closer to 2000?" For sure. Numbered or PC? Nah. I'm a little puzzled as to why you're getting so uptight about this. I'm just calling it how I feel--and that's a difference of a couple of hundred dollars. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If you're right, you're right.

At the end of the day, these are tremendous books with awesome resale value. I don't believe that MM GoT will hold the same value it held in 2010 / 2011, especially after the SP GoT comes out. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, getting back onto the general topic, anyone have MM GoT #176? :P

In your post you said "most MM GoT have been going for 2000"... you weren't referring to Lettered's specifically because there haven't been any GoT lettereds sold alone up to that point. You were obviously referring to numbered versions, and this was just 4 weeks ago.

Both sides in this little debate are getting uptight, defensive, and offensive, and as well, both sides are simply calling it how they feel. I think debating value of books is a good thing, as different sides can bring up different points to help other buyers make good decisions. If many book collectors make bold unproven claims that books are worth less than they are, this could lead sellers/buyers to make the wrong decision.

I can't resist stating that no declining trend has been demonstrated whatsoever. But you're completely justified in holding the opinion that they are worth less, just not in saying that this is proven fact in any way, because it isn't.

P.S. This is not an attack on you, and is not personal at all.

Thanks, Happy Times.

You're right. My one-line post didn't qualify the books I was referring to. I need to be more careful with how and what I write, I suppose.

:dunce:

But unless I'm mistaken, I've never stated nor implied that it's a "proven fact." Valuation is a tricky game, in any market. It's such a tricky game, in fact, that professional appraisers disagree all the time and often get paid big bucks in estate sales, auctions, and litigation to opine on how much they think something is worth. I'm no professional appraiser, nor do I hold myself out as an expert on it.

Just one lone dude out on the interwebs spouting an opinion.

Have a good weekend, all.

Echo HappyTimes's PS. This is not an attack on anyone.

Archived