Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

Has anyone ever sold something worth big $$$ on ebay? I sold an item worth about 1k once but that's it. I'm just considering my options if I do decide to sell my set, which is still up in the air. I don't want to but jesus, 4600 just for the GoT?

Don't sell. You'll have a nice chunk of change but the regret will eat away at you...

That being said, an amount that large would be done with a wire transfer. Selling through eBay and PayPal, however, will mean HUGE fees... I'd try selling here first, or other forms. Or put on consignment with a reputable bookseller (i.e. Camelot) and pay around what PayPal and eBay will charge you, but let them do all the work...

Selling through eBay and PayPal, however, will mean HUGE fees... I'd try selling here first, or other forms.

People keep saying that, but I don't see it. For high-dollar books like this, a lot of people don't realize that the eBay fee is capped at a maximum of $250. For a $4600 book, I don't think that was bad at all for the additional exposure I got selling it on eBay. And that would be pocket change for a hypothetical ~$15k full lettered set. And you might have the PayPal fee wherever you sell it depending on what a buyer and seller agree on.

If I had tried to sell that lettered GoT on here by taking offers, I honestly don't think I would have got $4,600. Several people have tried to sell big books on here and have commented, either on the board or by PM to me, that they only received "low" offers and didn't sell it here.

Not sure what you mean?

It's a flat 10% from $0 to $2499. Under $50 you gain some benefit from their new free listing policy. Over $2500, yes there is a maximum.

Also, if you add in Paypal fees, that's an additional 2.9% on top of the max. There is no max limit on Paypal fees as far as I know.

If you can, I would sell here. Probably take longer though.

Well you're in luck then! Justinian is looking to sell. Probably cost you $20k though...

Hi,

I am also looking for a lettered edition set of the books. If anyone is interested in selling, feel free to contact me.

Many thanks, Chris

As someone who did sell his lettered and numbered sets, I can tell you I don't miss them. it was great collecting them and I definitely felt great knowing I was the proud owner. But not having to keep up with all the new releases is something I'm glad to be done with. I know some people might chastise me for saying such a thing, but the money I made from the sales went to building a backyard oasis that I enjoy EVERY day. That being said, I did keep some of my rarest items. Maybe in 15 years it'll pay for my kids University fees :)

I sold through this forum and collected funds trough PayPal. No complaints.

Don't sell. You'll have a nice chunk of change but the regret will eat away at you...

That being said, an amount that large would be done with a wire transfer. Selling through eBay and PayPal, however, will mean HUGE fees... I'd try selling here first, or other forms. Or put on consignment with a reputable bookseller (i.e. Camelot) and pay around what PayPal and eBay will charge you, but let them do all the work...

If you sold your lettered set, what are the "rarest items" you kept?

As someone who did sell his lettered and numbered sets, I can tell you I don't miss them. it was great collecting them and I definitely felt great knowing I was the proud owner. But not having to keep up with all the new releases is something I'm glad to be done with. I know some people might chastise me for saying such a thing, but the money I made from the sales went to building a backyard oasis that I enjoy EVERY day. That being said, I did keep some of my rarest items. Maybe in 15 years it'll pay for my kids University fees :)

Agree with the views below. I haven't sold my lettered set yet, but the only 'rare' book I intend to keep permanently (well, until I keel over and the kids sell it someday :laugh: ) is my first edition of John Kennedy Toole's 'A Confederacy of Dunces'. It's probably my favorite novel and I still chuckle when I take it out and look at the cover illustration of Ignatius Reilly wearing his hunting cap, armed with plastic sword and hot dog.

What do people think is value of a numbered set of CoK onwards with all rights? Or SoS onwards with all rights?

Will these include the SubPress Rereleases of GoT and CoK? With MM CoK included and SP CoK on pre-order, probably in the fives to low sixes if you get an eager buyer? Just a guess.

If you can't get the SP Rereleases, I'd drop that considerably--threes right now if not less. I would venture to reason that a lot of the allure to these sets is the thought of future rights and building up your own set as it rolls out.

Also, keep in mind that GoT numbered nowadays can go in the teen hundreds to two thousands, although heaven knows what will happen to its price when SP releases its own GoT. That book alone can bring a lot of value to a set.

Archived