Casting the Movie Continued Continued Continued

Ser Bruce the Hound KG

Tysha - I'm confused now, do you mean you want to go with Tate? Cause that's cool with me.

Maester Y - But Malkovich looks nothing like Roose and he's too old. If Roose was 50+ someone would have called him 'old man' by now. Oh and did you become a Council Member today? How exciting! :P

But Malkovich looks nothing like Roose and he's too old. If Roose was 50+ someone would have called him 'old man' by now.

Possibly... but possibly not. I don't recall seeing anything describing Roose's age. I also do not recall any specific descriptions of how Roose Bolton looks. I think Malkovich captures the essence of Bolton... even if it's shown that Bolton is described a bit differently. I think it outweighs it. Of course, we're apparently set on casting per the word of the books, so in that case, let's see what the text says...

Oh and did you become a Council Member today? How exciting!

Yup. Thanks! :D

I just think Welling is a closer look to Renly..he's fairly broad and Matt isn't really. Plus he's got the beautiful jaw line and his hair perfectly in place like Renly's would be awesome. He's got that great thick wavy like hair which is another thing Matt doesn't have, or at least to my knowledge doesn't have.

Honestly even Welling could do Renly..it's such a tiny part in the grand scheme of things. He's in so few scenes before he kicks the bucket.

Tell me this doesn't look like how Renly is described..Hot and Groomed

I like Tom Welling - unlike some I do actually think he's capable of being a good actor! - but I think Matthew Goode fits better as the brother of Rory McCann and Mark Strong. Welling is kind of the odd one out of the Baratheon brothers at the moment.

Possibly... but possibly not. I don't recall seeing anything describing Roose's age. I also do not recall any specific descriptions of how Roose Bolton looks. I think Malkovich captures the essence of Bolton... even if it's shown that Bolton is described a bit differently. I think it outweighs it. Of course, we're apparently set on casting per the word of the books, so in that case, let's see what the text says...

Malkovich is a wonderful actor but he's just so ... Malkovich. I haven't been able to think of him as anyone other than himself since Being John Malkovich. His off-screen persona is too strong for an ensemble cast like this.

Also, Vincent Regan has the same creepy pale eyes as Cillian Murphy.

Tysha - I'm confused now, do you mean you want to go with Tate? Cause that's cool with me.

Yup! She's my favourite suggestion.

Yup. Thanks! :D

I remember reading near the end of ASoS something that made me realize that Bolton was younger than I had guessed. In my mind I had always seen him as a man in his 50s, but I specifically remember reading something that made me think "oh, didn't realize he was that young." I wish I could remember what I read and where exactly...

I like Tom Welling - unlike some I do actually think he's capable of being a good actor! - but I think Matthew Goode fits better as the brother of Rory McCann and Mark Strong. Welling is kind of the odd one out of the Baratheon brothers at the moment.

Yeah but even in their portraits the brothers don't strongly resemble one another..you wouldn't guess they were all from the same house I'm sure.

Blah - There is supposed to be a striking resemblance between Robert and Renly.

Ned says to Renly that "sometimes you are the very image of your brother Robert" Renly replies a "a poor copy". What I like about Matt is that he actually looks like a young Rory McCann. Tom Welling on the other hand looks nothing like Rory.

And even if Tom welling can act, I would still hate the idea of him being Renly. To me, he has the same problem that Roseanne, Bill Murray and Tim Allen have, they look too modern, I can't imagine Tom Welling in a period setting.

Also he is too good looking. Matt is a handsome man, but he looks like a human being (not a giraffe) but Tom Welling looks the result of a genetics experiment to produce the perfect teen pin-up. Basically he looks like a Ken doll.

Has anyone suggested Sean Bean as Eddard Stark?

Despite a couple recent outings (with a put on American accent nonetheless) in Silent Hill and The Hitcher, he's given some powerful dignity to his characters whether as a good guy (Equilibrium), a villain (Patriot Games/Goldeneye), or both (Lord of the Rings).

Hell, his role in Equilibrium contains strongs trait shown in Ned Stark - a somewhat reluctant heroism, not to mention he's harboring a potentially mortal secret. And if you haven't seen it, I'm not spoiling much. One of his first close ups depicts it plainly.

He'd also be following in the footsteps of William Hurt ala the Dune TV series as a reputable film actor lending weight to a significant role on the small screen.

I am hereby starting my official campaign for Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, which will consist of me posting this and doing little else.

His neck is a bit long, but I think the look he has is certainly heading in the right direction (more like our Robert).

Well, tall people often have long necks... to go with their long bodies. :D

Seriously, Matthew Goode is a hottie. All look at this pic

That is a handsome man! And he look suave and sophisticated, which is so Renly, imo.

Blah - There is supposed to be a striking resemblance between Robert and Renly.

We've been thru that before..Robert is basically a big lump during ASOISF his face is completely round..Rory McCann would be in a fat suit..a fairly large one. You give them the same hair and eyes and they'll look close enough.

Still doesn't address the fact that Renly is a pretty big guy..broad shoulders and fairly well built. Welling has the type of build while Goode has a very lean build.

Garlan Tyrell is described in the book as "five years senior to Ser Loras, was a taller bearded version of his more famous younger brother. He was thicker about the chest and broader at the shoulders, and though his face was comely enough, he lacked Ser Loras's startling beauty."

Then when Jaime asks who wore Renly's armor Loras answers "Renly was taller than me, and broader in the chest. His armor was too loose on me, but it suited Garlan well."

So basically we got matching builds for Garlan Tyrell and Renly..Matt Goode is not that build.

Blah - So you think we should cast people based on muscle size?

They are actors. Actors can change body size from role to role. Look at Christian Bale, he was super skinny in the Machinist, then freaking huge in Batman.

As for our current castings, Sandor Clegane is described as muscled like a bull, Richard Armitage is lean. You mentioned Garlan Tyrell, who should be as big as Renly, but is being played by Hugh Dancy, who is lean.

There are loads of our castings that need to get down the gym, but it is just assumed that they can, and will.

Archived