Things you missed on your first read

Ser Warpechowski

I´m pretty sure most people here have readed the books more than one time. There are so many details and characters that one can easily miss even important things on their first read, so I guess I´m not the only one.

So, what have you missed when reading the first book, that you only noticed on your second or third read? Anything goes.

Me:

- I never realized Jorah Mormont was the son of The Bear, commander of the Night Guard.

- I never understood why people liked Roose Bolton so much, since reading the book for the first time, I didnt even knew who he was.

- Meaning I didnt understood half of the treachery he did and his part in the Red Wedding.

- Not to mention I didnt knew half of the minnor characters (like Harwin, the fact that Anguy won the Hand´s Tourney, that Sam was the son of one of Tywin´s generals etc).

- I never noticed Renly and Loras were a couple.

The Loras & Renly thing got by me - not surprisingly though, I don't care in real life so the story wouldn't make me care until it impacted succession, marriages, etc...

Kinda hard to remember since I have read them a few times now...

I missed just about half the stuff on the board, really. Sometimes I just flat out didn't see it, but a lot of the time I just didn't make the connections I needed to. Of course, I read the books through the night and on until like 4 am so that had something to do with it, I'm sure :P

As for specific things - a lot of Littlefinger's plotting, Tyrion's game with Pycelle/LF/Varys and even the possibility of R+L=J (perhaps that's not major, but I didn't even think Jon's mother was of any more importance than sheer curiousity). I missed a lot of the signs of the Red Wedding coming apart from Theon's dream, and so on.

I was pretty clueless about Dany's relationship in the Targaryen dynasty--I didn't spend a lot of time perusing the cast of characters in the back because it was too intimidating and even after looking at it I was still kinda like "Who is this 'Aerys' person, anyhow?"

Mostly the complexities of the setting really. When you read something for the first time you typically only concentrate on the story elements and character interactions, and you take the carefull sentenceing and descriptions for granted.

Whenever I re-read I pick up on an extra peice of information, or description, or small joke or reference that I hadn't before, the series is just so rich.

Recently skagos captured my imagination, before that the dualism and Zorastrianism of Melisadrei, the red god, and the davos chapter when he is thrown in the dungeon. The two goalers (both silent but one more caring than the other), the two prisoners, the light source, the complexities of the world frittered into simplified statements by melisadrei etc.

Another thing I cought before that were the descriptions of peoples, particularly the 'peaceful people', Nath, the slavers, the Butterflies that somehow prevent foreign invasion, the god of harmony, the promise on Dany's part to take her Nath born servent back to her home one day, etc. etc.

I don't miss the big things on a first read, or at least I suspect until my thoughts are confirmed. I'm a pretty good reader really, and george never fools me with his cliff hanger moments.

I missed alot to I don't even know what R+L=J means. I didn'r know Renly and Loras were together either. And I didn't know who Qyburn was. I knew who Roose Bolton was but I thought he had as much importance as Nimble Dick I thought he was just some lower class random bannerman. I also missed the whole battle of blackwater. thats about it

It might be quicker for me to tell you what I didn't miss...

Job done.

Edit: Okay, okay...

* I missed the R+L=J theory, didn't even grab a hint of it

* I missed Renly and Loras... hmm... R+L again...

* I missed any mention of Howland Reed

* I missed Sandor Clegane the Gravedigger

* I missed Gregorstein - or at the least the implication he's being created

* I missed Varys and Illyrio being in cahoots

* I missed Jaqen's new face turning up in Oldtown and taking a new form

* I missed Doran Martell's reference to the pot of molten gold killing Viserys

And so much else if you could just remind me of them to make me feel even more inadequate...

Wow. I must be one of the few people who came up with R+L=J on my own. I feel special.

But don't feel bad, DJ. I missed Gregorstein and Jaqen's new face, too.

The thing I really feel silliest about, and I mean really stupid: Stannis? Wall? . . . . the hell is this? Was my reaction to Stannis showing up in ASOS. I kinda paid zero attention to what Davos was up to. I required another reader to explain to me how the man got there and when this happened.

I missed durring my first read that there was a 700ft chunk of ice called "The Wall".

GRRM just kinda sliped it in there between lines I guess.

LOL

OK OK OK..... I did know there was a "Wall". But It was a loooong time before I clued in that it was made of ice. I think I was on to the second or third book.

And it even says it plain as day in the first discription of the wall. But in my head, I saw the word "WALL", and just created my own stone castle wall in my mind.

I missed a lot.

*R+L=J. I'm not convinced it's true, but I totally missed any possibility.

*Renly and Loras. It seems so OBVIOUS now! I'm just to the point in COK where Catelyn visits Renly, and there are so many hints.

*Any implication of Cersei's prophecy except that a new queen was going to replace her (I missed the whole little brother killing her thing and all her children dying first.)

*The Hound/gravedigger connection

*Varys' little birds

And much more besides, I'm sure. I'm not the most observant of readers--I prefer to just go along for the ride.

Darn...i have actually read the book once. Now, i know that Roose betrayed Robb, and did lots of evil things, but i missed the fact that he killed him.

R + L = J also....and Renly + Loras too...

I learned about "Gravedigger = Hound" after reading the citadel, and now the two things i'm REALLY ashamed for:

1) I can't remember who is (was) illiryo

2) Vary's little birds? What? Who?

Darn...i have actually read the book once. Now, i know that Roose betrayed Robb, and did lots of evil things, but i missed the fact that he killed him.

R + L = J also....and Renly + Loras too...

I learned about "Gravedigger = Hound" after reading the citadel, and now the two things i'm REALLY ashamed for:

1) I can't remember who is (was) illiryo

2) Vary's little birds? What? Who?

Don't be ashamed. Illiryo is the rich merchant who arranges Drago & Danys marriage. He doesn't have much screen time. It turns out (from little clues easy to miss) that he is working with Varys to... Wee that point isn't exactly clear, but it apears to be to overthrow the King and put Dany back on the Iron Throne.

Vary's little birds is the code name for the spys that Vary's uses to snoop on people in KL. There are some clues that indicate that these are children who have had their tongues ripped out. They live in the hidden tunnels in the castle and write down what they hear through the walls. No proof, but this is the theory I think best fits the facts.

ETA: Oops Didn't answer the question.

I wondered about Loras and Renly, but missed more than half the clues.

I knew something was up with who Jon's mother was, but didn't put 2 & 2 or R & L together till the boards

I missed that it was the prologe chr that was executed in the first Bran chapter.

Missed alot of the details

The R+L=J thing was the main part I missed, too. I just never really thought about it until I saw people discussing it online. I hadn't marked Jon's parentage down as something that would be up for debate later on, aside from whether it was Wylla or Ashara Dayne who was the mother. I got Renly and Loras about halfway through - there were a few comments that didn't really register, but it struck me after about the fourth and the fifth what was going on.

I read ACOK and ASOS a few years after reading AGOT, and throughout ACOK and ASOS I thought that Bronn was one of the leaders of the Mountain Clans.

I thought that the two men Arya was spying on in the dungeons were Varys and Littlefinger.

I never noticed that the man that was executed in Bran's first chapter was Gared from the Prologue.

I don't think I even noticed Kevan Lannister until he was visiting Tyrion in the Black Cells.

I totally missed any symbolism in the Knight-of-the-Laughing-Tree story. When the Hedge Knight short story came out, I thought it was going to be about the hero in the Knight-of-the-Laughing-Tree story.

Wow, it's been a while, but here are a few I missed that I don't think have been mentioned already. First go-roud in Book 1 I missed that:

1. Rhaenys' kitten was still alive and well in the Red Keep.

2. Mya Stone was Robert's natural daughter.

3. Most of the stuff involving Yoren (e.g. that he was the same black brother who was at the Inn when Cat abducted Tyrion, told Ned about the abduction and Benjen's disappearance, and is part of the cliffhanger with Arya. That just didn't register until a re-read)

Archived