Westeros M2:TW Mod - Current Status

From what I understand, the current project is generating a list of all the generals available to each faction, and their (approximate) ages. This work is being done in the map thread. Currently, we have lists for the Starks, Greyjoys, Baratheon (Joffrey), and Martell factions. However, these lists do not currently have ages associated with the generals (and the lists themselves need review for likely generals left out).

Are we waiting for the patch or something? Don't leave us hanging...

If we are running into trouble we can still launch the map no? Just throw it onto TWC servers or filefront. That thing wet my pants when I first saw the pictures....I for one would be glad to play around with it even if not altogether polished.

• 2 weeks later...

I have returned! yay! *kicks his computer* After some technical issues, and being busy, I am back. So, update:

Skinners! If you know people who're good at Photoshop and have time on their hands, send them my way! Our skinner's spouse is in the hospital ( :( We hope she recovers soon), so our graphics department has ground to a halt.

Next. As for the map, ages and generals are what's needed. OUr map guy is slwoly getting them all implemented.

Units: Are the unit rosters completed? All 12 main factions? If so, we still need a list for all rebels and mercenaries! Oh, and specialty units, if i remember, we never we came up with many of those. After these are all complete, we need to move into the next step. FAUST is available for those without the game, but it doesnt provide much info. For those with the game, and I'm hoping some of you do have it, we need to pick M2 units for the rosters! These can be drawn from all factions, including the slave faction. Note: To start, we just want something tangible. Everyone put in their own opinion. If there's differences at the end, they can be discussed later. If we argue about which unit makes the best heavy knight, we'll never get anything done. If more than one unit is named for a unit in the roster, we'll put both down and figure it out after. Also, M2 units can be used to fill more than one spot on our roster. If you noticed, many units in M2 are the same, just rekinned new colours. One more thing: Ignore the skin of the units. ie, the colours. Look at the weapon, armor, etc. The model is what we cannot change. We can make the unit look like anything we want, but the actual model underneath it we cannot change, so please try and choose based upon that.

Thanks for all your help! Once these steps are done, a beta can be started to be put together. This is a VERY rough idea, but something may be released around summer for all of you who want some sort of date.

• 2 weeks later...

Current projects:

Generals: Names & Ages of Generals for all factions

- Good job Adequate Jon!

Unit Rosters: All factions

- Suggestions have been made... nothing final yet.

Unit Rosters: All Rebel/Mercenary

- Still in early stages of suggestions

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also anxious to know where our mod stands, for some time now...

Things yet to be modded from my knowledge:

Gritty campaign settings like the major families, settlement details, generals...

Faction Unit rosters and skinning, replacing tab cards?

Special Units from Guilds, Mercs, Rebels, also skinning and tab cards

Traits and Ancilliaries

Diplomacy

Battles

Other Miscellaneous issues

Originally the map/campaign setting is getting done by curiousepic, but from his ID info he hasn't been here since February. It's fine if he got busy or whatsnot, no offense, but at least pass it onto someone else. If it's too much work for one guy, is it possible to spread the different settings txts to be done by different people?

Another trouble is in the unit skinning, but for me I'm fine with just renaming M2TW units and changing their tab cards, at least for a early beta release to test the campaign. The rosters of special units and some factions like wildlings have yet to be completed and is being worked on.

On the other aspects, Diplomacy seemed to have been improved greatly from what I've heard about leaked 1.2, so hopefully the Ultimate AI mod won't be necessary and we only need to tweak the relations at the start.

Traits and Ancilliaries have been overhauled by the Blood, Broads and Bastards mod, and battle mechanics/AI by Darth's Battle pack. Both are considered the expert in their fields and many mods have chose to adopt their stuff. If we're fine with them just ask for permission and tweak them alittle before implementing in, like the bloodlines and some new traits(Kingslayer anyone?). This'll hopefully leave us with fewer factors to deal with and speed up the process.

Note that these mods currently are all pre-1.2 and they're waiting for official 1.2, but as we know Sega/CA have disappointed them. Basically it's tossup, if we adopt them we might not get the fixes from 1.2, especially concerning battle AI. Traits and retinues are less of a problem but we'll have to wait and see. I think it's ok to stall modding in these two fields for now, but keep the discussion flowing while we wait.

:EDIT: One last thing, I'm abit concerned about the lack of publicity. Nothing against Westeros.com, but the registration here can take a while and thus draining our potential fan's enthusiasm :P I'm suggesting a new thread at TWC's mod threads forum, where it'll get more attention and hopefully more help. When we get a beta out we'll have more people testing too.

I'm still keeping an eye on the development of the mod but I really have no technical know-how to use for the actual programming/graphics side of things, whilst others with far greater research skills have been on the ball with book info (ages etc). I do agree about publicity. There's now info on the mod on the totalwar.com Medieval 2 modding subforum which we can build upon and there's the original thread on TWCenter as well, but certainly there should be more that we can do.

I can get the Merc listings for you lot. There's just not enough info. Maybe we can do a lite mod, with just historic battles, to appease the masses first?

Battle of Redgrass Fields

Siege of Pyke (Greyjoy Rebellion)

Robert's Rebellion

-Ambush at Summerhall

-Battle of the Bells

-Battle of Ruby Ford

-Sack of King's Landing

-Relief of Storm's End

etc...

Thoughts?

Okay, bit of progress:

Family members all in. Ages need tweaking.

All female characters are listed tentatively as such. We'll go back and make princesses, make Asha, Dacey, etc men later.

Currently working on generals.

Note on adoptions: We've found that they are harcoded, so adoptions will be in the game. You're going to get named like Tyrion Mormont wanting to adopt in. However, I've made all adoptees 104 years old, so if you DO choose to adopt, all adopted characters will die in one turn :)

The random name generation also makes up strange names for marriage proposals. I've yet to look in to what can be done about that. It's on the list...

I'm just going to be making a to-list of things to be done:

Finish map. add resources. Perfect geography.

Add generals to map.

Traits.

Ancilliaries.

Buildings and tech trees.

Unit rosters.

Accurately depicting each settlement as accurately as possible with correct buildings, populations, etc

Accurately giving each general traits and ancilliaries.

Deploying start positions

Victory conditions & diplomacy

Add diplomat, spy and assassin characters to map along with traits

Specialty modding. Adding MY's idea, BBB, etc.

As much graphical work as can be completed.

As you can see, we've got tons and tons of work to do. I'll edit this as things are completed or as new tasks arise...

• 3 weeks later...

We've finally got custom portraits ingame. We have fifteen family members in currently, however Euron Greyjoy and Jon Snow aren't working as of yet.

I've uploaded the shots here. Please comment! Suggestions and criticisms welcome.

Credit to our 2d guy Drachen, and to Amok for letting us use his art :) Pity his site is down. If anyone knows of where we can find more of his art, please let me know!! Thanks.

Looking good...

Re: Amok's Art - It seems that the website is actually down now. It used to be that he had switched domains, and hadn't updated all the links, though the pages were still available. Now it seems that the domain has lapsed, and the pages are completely down. :( If I find any more of his art, I'll let you know where to look.

Archived