Joe Abercrombie’s Before They Are Hanged

Geddon

Thought I'd spin off a separate thread before the one about The Blade Itself fills up with spoilers for book 2 in the series.

I read an ARC a while back and thoroughly enjoyed the book, I found it to be a very easy read and it held my interest well enough that I lost track of time and read on into the early morning. The characters, while not necessarily admirable, are still appealing and make compelling reading.

I do have a couple of spoiler-ish minor criticisms:

SPOILER: Before They Are Hanged

In my opinion the book suffers a little from not having a big conclusion, it peters out a bit at the end. Not unexpected in the middle book of a series but it does affect the enjoyment of it when read in isolation.

Jezal's conversion from spoiled brat to enlightened team player happens a little too quickly to be believable. I think the loss of his looks would be like a bereavement to him and would quite possibly result in a change of outlook on life but I don't think this would have been a quick process. I think it would have been more believable if he had passed through a protracted period of adjustment (rage, petulence, refusal to accept his fate, depression, introversion etc) before reaching an accomodation with it.

In fact I think of all the characters Jezal gets a little shortchanged in this book.

OK, I ordered the hardback from Amazon UK today, despite the outlandish shipping charges, even though I would have been happy with the trade PB, just because I think it's cool he posts here and I figure he can buy a six pack with the royalties from my purchase.

It better be good or I'll . . . I'll . . . uh, be frustrated at my lack of any means of recourse.

Aplomb try the book depository next time

I just order the Blade itself and some other books there.

Its supposedly free shipping almost anywhere.*

Anywhere consists of UK, US, Canda

"Western Europe" includes the following countries: AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, CYPRUS, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, ICELAND, IRELAND, ITALY, LUXEMBOURG, MALTA, NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, PORTUGAL, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, VATICAN CITY

"Other" includes the following countries: AUSTRALIA, HONG KONG(CHINA), ISRAEL, JAPAN, NEW ZEALAND, PUERTORICO

I got it today in Hodges and Figgis on general release. Which is odd as I thought that the publication date was the 15th. So, any Dublin based people, it's there in H&F. It's a glorious cover.

I'm seriously looking forward to reading it.....

For anyone who's interested, I found a number of reviews on the Net already of this book, and all of them were nothing less than glowing ( in fact they all claim it's a bit better than the first one even).

Do a Google and you'll see.

You damn folks across the pond have TWO of these books to read and I still have to wait for the FIRST one. Damn you all to Hell! (Desperately fishing for a potential ARC from the author!!!)

You damn folks across the pond have TWO of these books to read and I still have to wait for the FIRST one. Damn you all to Hell! (Desperately fishing for a potential ARC from the author!!!)

You could order them from amazon.ca... :)

Patrick

Thank you so much for this link. Just ordered Before They Are Hanged and I saved a boatload of shipping.

You da man.

Man they are awesome! I ordered The Blade Itself, Winterbirth, and Dreamsongs on the 6th, and they showed up here today! 1 week only! I will be using them again.

For those using the Book depository, do they withold the VAT before they charge you? At least for HB, the shipping to Norway with amazon would be less than the VAT. Amazon always withold VAT on goods they ship to Norway, while several other British online shop I've used doesn't.

For books, anyway, they're zero-rated for VAT in the UK as well as Norway, so you should never be charged VAT on them (unless it's the delivery that's VAT-able in Norway). (Of course, since the book depository has free shipping, there should be no VAT on it either.) Other objects, I couldn't be arsed looking them up. :P

For a quick fake address in Bergen, I get that the amazon cost is 5.99 for the book plus 4.98 for the shipping, totalling 10.97GBP.

Same fake address on book depository is just the book price of 6.72GBP, and free shipping. No VAT on either transaction, not that I followed through to actual payment. :P

Archived