Joe Abercrombie’s Before They Are Hanged

Geddon

*summons author*

*tries to stamp out flaming pentagram*

Will you stop bloody doing that?

I just ordered The Blade Itself from Amazon.co.uk. Bastards haven't released it in the US yet. :tantrum:

Coming in September via the wonderful Pyr books. For those of you that can't wait, the Book Depository seems to be the route of choice - free delivery to the US, apparently.

Now could someone kindly banish me back to the abyss?

I really should be writing.

Say one thing about Joe Abercrombie, say he can spin a mighty fine yarn.

Hugely enjoyable, all in all i cant find anything to complain about if i forced to nit pick it would be the

SPOILER: btah
glotka showing glimpses of compassion,and letting Eider go

it seems a tiny bit uncharacteristic, but not a big point, now the wait till book 3, hurry up joe......

I just finished Before They Are Hanged, and I deeply enjoyed it. I dropped everything else to read it faster.

The characterization was excellent, as were the interactions, and the pace made it difficult to put the book down. I liked the attention to detail contributing to the world's consistency, like the fact that not everyone speaks the same language.

SPOILER: BTAH
I especially liked Ferro's point of view paragraphs, where she says something when it's clear she feels the other way around.

West's arc was also truly satisfying, Threetrees' merry band really comes to life, and West is fleshed out a great deal, making him one of the characters I wanted to read about most.

Logen and the bloody-nine narrative was a great fun too. MORE, MOOORE!!

If I had criticism to offer, though it's minor, it would be over the way the different arcs don't seem connected together enough, where sometimes one of them can almost feel useless. I also feel there is some weakness in the worldbuilding itself in BTAH, we can feel the characters breathing, but the world around seem a bit underdevelopped, and not truly alive.

SPOILER: btah
Also, Jezal's turnaround felt a bit too radical in the end, even if it was truly mitigated by his reaction after they got the stone, and was prepared by all his false starts. I would have expected him to keep staying a jerk, or become one again, only with different values, once he healed. Like Logen said: "this feeling lasts only two days, then you'll be complaining again". I am waiting for him to meet his old friends, I'm sure he wouldn't have turned into the paragon of virtue we fear

The worst criticism is, in the end, that the third book is not out yet, and that we'll have to wait to see all the plotlines and mysteries solved. Especially with the low-key ending of this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though I find the first one a little better. It's going to be a long torture to wait a year for the final book. :thumbsdown:

The series needs to end with either of the following lines:

"Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's..."

"You have to be realistic about these things."

I was thinking about the ages of the characters, let me see if I get this about right ( Joe correct me if wrong). Keep in mind I've only read the first one.

Bayaz: 60, or described as such by Logen.

Major West: 30

Jezal: Younger than West and seemingly very youthful: 25

Ardee: Same age, roughly 25 as well.

Logen: A bit older with a lot of history behind him but still in his fighting prime. I'd put him in his late 30's.

The Named Men: All of this seem to me to be somewhere between 30 and 40, with the exception of Threetrees who is a bit older, so I guess him at roughly 45.

Malacus: Roughly 25

Ferro: Mid thirties.

Glokta: 40-45?

Severard and Frost: between 25-35

A lot of huge fellows in these books as well. Logen, Fenris, the monstrous Northman who accompanies Superior Goyle, Practical Frost, Lieutenant Jalenhorm and certainly the gigantic Tul Duru Thunderhead. Threetrees also is described as a big man.

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed BTAH - a marked improvement on the first. Would agree with previous posts about better characterisation and plot. Really enjoyed West and Threetrees and Glokta is a treasure.

Look forward to the finale especially with the Glokta/Bayaz angle - not sure how Glokta fits in and I'm very curious to see what Bayaz is really up to cos he seems damn shifty to me - the Belgarath routine is not convincing!

Bayaz isn't shifty, he is very open about what he wants to do namely

to break the first law and destroy his rival. After all, khalul must be annihilated, since he is evil enough to have broken the second law. This is something only evil guys do, breaking magic laws: Glustrod, Kanedias, Khalul, Bayaz, oh wait...
:P

Bayaz certainly lacks something to make a correct Gandalf/Belgarath.

While Bayaz is usually blunt and plain-speaking I couldn't help but noticed one time he sort of glossed over,

When Quai confronted Bayaz on his past mistakes and Bayaz fills in much of the history of the Magi and such. When he is talking about the aftermath of Juvens' death when the magi decided to unify to destory Kanedias, Khalul accuses him of causing the master's death and the war. He openly admitted to some because they were open to interpretation, but then he said that Khalul made several terrible accusations and he doesn't bother to explain them calling them "Lies". Maybe he thought it was nothing, but I couldn't help but notice his hesistation.

Archived