Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

Werthead

Mildly cliched: the tough, authoritarian, no-nonsense, ambitious military woman is also a lesbian? That said, there was a vague frisson in her scenes with Starbuck in Resurrection Ship, so it's not entirely coming out of the blue. It also sets up her utter rage and disgust at Gina a bit better.

Annoys the hell out of me that the second trailer is only viewable by American audiences (heads off to YouTube).

Mildly cliched: the tough, authoritarian, no-nonsense, ambitious military woman is also a lesbian?

Might seem so, but then again none of the other major female characters in the show so far have been.

That second clip is just downright chilling :stunned: .

Jamie Bamber sent shockwaves through the fans when he said that the SFC would air the first 10 episodes of Season 4 from March 2008 and then air the second ten episodes from March 2009. Apparently he was taking the piss, saying he wouldn't be surprised if the SFC did something like that, and was taken out of context. The plan is to still show the 20 episodes of Season 4 straight through (apparently with a possible short 2-3 week mid-season break). Interestingly no-one commented on the March 2008 date though, which is two months later than it was previously announced that the show would return.

I'd prefer it if they basically split season 4 into 2 seasons, per Bamber's comments. The quality would be higher, all the way through. Except for the 1st season, which was good all the way through, the later seasons all were about 1/2 excellent, 1/2 okay at best. 20 - 22 episodes is too many to keep the quality level intact. Like HBO/Showtime they should do seasons 1/2 as long, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure about that. RDM has said the problems in Seasons 2-3 were because the network wanted more stand-alone episodes, and they tried to deliver but they felt it wasn't playing to the show's strengths, and sure enough it's those episodes that rank among the series' worst (Black Market, Hero, The Woman King etc). As it had no impact on ratings and because it's the last season anyway, the SFC's apparently just given up and said, "Yeah, whatever," so apparently there won't be any filler episodes in Season 4, just non-stop serialisation all the way like in Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 (when the show was at its most consistent best).

Also, whilst 20 episodes is a lot of time, they've got a lot of stuff to resolve: the Penultimate Four, Starbuck, Earth, Hera, the Final One, HeadSix/HeadBaltar, this storyline that apparently Razor is prefiguring, the overall Colonial/Cylon conflict, Roslin's returned cancer, and more.

I'm not sure about that. RDM has said the problems in Seasons 2-3 were because the network wanted more stand-alone episodes, and they tried to deliver but they felt it wasn't playing to the show's strengths, and sure enough it's those episodes that rank among the series' worst (Black Market, Hero, The Woman King etc). As it had no impact on ratings and because it's the last season anyway, the SFC's apparently just given up and said, "Yeah, whatever," so apparently there won't be any filler episodes in Season 4, just non-stop serialisation all the way like in Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 (when the show was at its most consistent best).

Where did RDM say that? If that's true, it makes me feel more optimistic about the last season.

Just picked up the UK Season 3 DVD and I am woefully disapointed in the extras - only the story so far thingy, which as a fan who has watched the previous series is completly redundant. I had hoped that at least deleted scenes would make it on if not the webisodes.

That was part of it too, I imagine. Honestly, I don't think that RDM is unaware of the shittiness, and he's actually trying to figure out why it was so shitty so he can fix it later. I think he believes that one big reason was the Sag plot that was cut. Another reason is that they don't do standalones so well, which he's also said. I don't think he's lying; listening to the podcasts kind of indicates that he's very candid about this, far more than other producers, when discussing what did and didn't work. This was especially true when listening to the actors speak; they were very candid about the direction and disagreeing.

At least RDM's acknowledged that things didn't work and S3 wasn't as good as they wanted it to be, and remarked on a lot of ways it wasn't.

Ratty,

RDM had said over and over that his Sagitarrion storyline was cut cut and cut, but I'm interested to find that the deleted scenes didnt make it on there. He blamed the cutting for the shittiness of the last season. I think he was lying.

Any number of people could come out and say that they never heard about any Sagitarron storyline, from the actors, the directors--Michael Rymer in particular is credited with convincing Moore to drop the storyline--the crew, probably people at the network. If Ron Moore was dumb enough to tell a lie that could be so easily and overwhelmingly refuted, then where's your evidence to support that? Or does he have them all living in fear of his private absinthe-drinking militia?

RDM's podcasts are amusing when the episode has gone magnificently wrong. Black Market was amusing but The Woman King was downright hilarious. He quite clearly was forcing himself not to say, "This episode was utterly shit and I apologise profusely for it,". That said, probably the best Season 3 anecdotes are from Exodus Part II (looking confused outside his office as the special effects crew hung a massive banner saying SAVE THE PEGASUS! from their windows) and Taking a Break From Your Worries (having to explain to the clearly pissed off network why the season's alleged 'comedy episode' turned into a dark, grim tale of torture and hallucinations).

• 2 weeks later...

Edward James Olmos interview here. He's directing another episode this year (Episode 6, this time).

Kevin Smith gives his take on the whole story about him directing. Apparently he had a crisis of confidence, decided not to direct, realised he was passing up a brilliant opportunity, signed back on only to find he'd been replaced (plus there was a screw-up between Eick and RDM behind-the-scenes as well). Nothing too dramatic, but some funny pics of his own personalised Viper.

Interesting article here (some minor spoilers are contained). However, one piece of bad news:

There is "a possibility" that Season 4 may be split in half and the second half won't be shown until 2009. This had previously been suggested by Jamie Bamber but he'd written it off as a bad-taste joke. Apparently not!

:tantrum:

OTOH, RDM talks about how happy they are with the decisions they've made for the series finale.

I was rewatching season 2 this weekend and a nitpicky question occured to me. What percentage of the grain harvest from "agro" ships is being devoted to the production of alcoholic beverages? Good lord these people drink alot. Further, how are there enough goods to creat a "black market?" Most of the surviors of the attack were people traveling between planets that appears to have been for short trips. Why were they carrying all their worldly possessions that they end up using to trade? Additionally, how much space to they devote to growing tobacco?

I was rewatching season 2 this weekend and a nitpicky question occured to me. What percentage of the grain harvest from "agro" ships is being devoted to the production of alcoholic beverages? Good lord these people drink alot. Further, how are there enough goods to creat a "black market?" Most of the surviors of the attack were people traveling between planets that appears to have been for short trips. Why were they carrying all their worldly possessions that they end up using to trade? Additionally, how much space to they devote to growing tobacco?

I guess it's possible that some cargo ships were among the surviving ships. Also, the resort ship ("Cloud Nine", I think the name was) might have had stockpiles of cigarettes and alcohol for its customers.

The other alternative is that Colonel Tigh had a really big stockpile in case of emergency.

Archived