From the Store
Game of Thrones Complete 1st Season DVD
Game of Thrones Complete 1st Season DVD
Amazon.com
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
403 replies to this topic

#81 Ratty

Ratty

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

Just picked up the UK Season 3 DVD and I am woefully disapointed in the extras - only the story so far thingy, which as a fan who has watched the previous series is completly redundant. I had hoped that at least deleted scenes would make it on if not the webisodes.

#82 Cocomaan

Cocomaan

The Vagrant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

Ratty,
RDM had said over and over that his Sagitarrion storyline was cut cut and cut, but I'm interested to find that the deleted scenes didnt make it on there. He blamed the cutting for the shittiness of the last season. I think he was lying.

#83 Kalbear

Kalbear

57 warning points

• Members
  • 35,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

He blamed the cutting for the shittiness of the last season. I think he was lying.

Nah. They didn't film a lot of the scenes; they were cut from the script, not the actual episodes.

#84 Cocomaan

Cocomaan

The Vagrant

• Members
  • 25,367 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

Nah. They didn't film a lot of the scenes; they were cut from the script, not the actual episodes.

I mean, that's a really convenient excuse for writing shitty episodes, but then Wert is saying that the reason NOW is because SciFi wanted stand-alones.

#85 Kalbear

Kalbear

57 warning points

• Members
  • 35,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

That was part of it too, I imagine. Honestly, I don't think that RDM is unaware of the shittiness, and he's actually trying to figure out why it was so shitty so he can fix it later. I think he believes that one big reason was the Sag plot that was cut. Another reason is that they don't do standalones so well, which he's also said. I don't think he's lying; listening to the podcasts kind of indicates that he's very candid about this, far more than other producers, when discussing what did and didn't work. This was especially true when listening to the actors speak; they were very candid about the direction and disagreeing.

At least RDM's acknowledged that things didn't work and S3 wasn't as good as they wanted it to be, and remarked on a lot of ways it wasn't.

#86 Harry the Heir

Harry the Heir

The Pestilence That Walks In The Darkness

• Members
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Ratty,
RDM had said over and over that his Sagitarrion storyline was cut cut and cut, but I'm interested to find that the deleted scenes didnt make it on there. He blamed the cutting for the shittiness of the last season. I think he was lying.

Any number of people could come out and say that they never heard about any Sagitarron storyline, from the actors, the directors--Michael Rymer in particular is credited with convincing Moore to drop the storyline--the crew, probably people at the network. If Ron Moore was dumb enough to tell a lie that could be so easily and overwhelmingly refuted, then where's your evidence to support that? Or does he have them all living in fear of his private absinthe-drinking militia?

Edited by The Fat Man, 05 September 2007 - 03:13 PM.

#87 Werthead

Werthead

Immortal Robot from the Future

• Forum Moderators
  • 22,908 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

RDM's podcasts are amusing when the episode has gone magnificently wrong. Black Market was amusing but The Woman King was downright hilarious. He quite clearly was forcing himself not to say, "This episode was utterly shit and I apologise profusely for it,". That said, probably the best Season 3 anecdotes are from Exodus Part II (looking confused outside his office as the special effects crew hung a massive banner saying SAVE THE PEGASUS! from their windows) and Taking a Break From Your Worries (having to explain to the clearly pissed off network why the season's alleged 'comedy episode' turned into a dark, grim tale of torture and hallucinations).

#88 Cocomaan

Cocomaan

The Vagrant

• Members
  • 25,367 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

and Taking a Break From Your Worries

Probably one of my favorite episodes, just for Baltar, not for SALAD.

#89 Werthead

Werthead

• Forum Moderators
  • 22,908 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Edward James Olmos interview here. He's directing another episode this year (Episode 6, this time).

Kevin Smith gives his take on the whole story about him directing. Apparently he had a crisis of confidence, decided not to direct, realised he was passing up a brilliant opportunity, signed back on only to find he'd been replaced (plus there was a screw-up between Eick and RDM behind-the-scenes as well). Nothing too dramatic, but some funny pics of his own personalised Viper.

#90 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

I loved his call sign.

"Silent" (Bob)

#91 Werthead

Werthead

• Forum Moderators
  • 22,908 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:32 AM

Interesting article here (some minor spoilers are contained). However, one piece of bad news:

There is "a possibility" that Season 4 may be split in half and the second half won't be shown until 2009. This had previously been suggested by Jamie Bamber but he'd written it off as a bad-taste joke. Apparently not!

:tantrum:

OTOH, RDM talks about how happy they are with the decisions they've made for the series finale.

#92 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • 40,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

I was rewatching season 2 this weekend and a nitpicky question occured to me. What percentage of the grain harvest from "agro" ships is being devoted to the production of alcoholic beverages? Good lord these people drink alot. Further, how are there enough goods to creat a "black market?" Most of the surviors of the attack were people traveling between planets that appears to have been for short trips. Why were they carrying all their worldly possessions that they end up using to trade? Additionally, how much space to they devote to growing tobacco?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison, 24 September 2007 - 08:45 AM.

#93 HokieStone

HokieStone

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

Just picked up the UK Season 3 DVD...

Any news on when the season 3 DVDs will be available in the U.S.?

#94 williamjm

williamjm

Council Member

• Members
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

I was rewatching season 2 this weekend and a nitpicky question occured to me. What percentage of the grain harvest from "agro" ships is being devoted to the production of alcoholic beverages? Good lord these people drink alot. Further, how are there enough goods to creat a "black market?" Most of the surviors of the attack were people traveling between planets that appears to have been for short trips. Why were they carrying all their worldly possessions that they end up using to trade? Additionally, how much space to they devote to growing tobacco?

I guess it's possible that some cargo ships were among the surviving ships. Also, the resort ship ("Cloud Nine", I think the name was) might have had stockpiles of cigarettes and alcohol for its customers.

The other alternative is that Colonel Tigh had a really big stockpile in case of emergency.

#95 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • 40,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

We are more that two years past the attack in the time line. Either they are reserving Tobacco and Alcohol for the military... or... there is a magic alcohol and tobacco fairy following the fleet restoring their stocks.

#96 Kalbear

Kalbear

57 warning points

• Members
  • 35,665 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

Both tobacco and alcohol can be made. Alcohol doesn't even require that much to ferment.

#97 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • 40,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

Kalbear,

I know Alcohol can be made. However, we see people drinking beer, whiskey, sparkling wine and a variety of other alcoholic beverages in large quantites all the time. You need water and not an insubstantial amount of graines to produce these beverages as well and a fair amount of time. Tobacco can be grown but are they going to devote limited agricultural resources to grow something that provides abosolutely no nutritional benefit to the user when it could be devoted to food? Alcohol you can at least argue give the drinker some calories the body can use to sustain itself. Tobacco doesn't.

#98 Ser Scot A Ellison

Ser Scot A Ellison

My children's daddy

• Members
  • 40,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

Rhelle,

I'm sure the nicoten will be very comforting as they starve.

#99 Kalbear

Kalbear

57 warning points

• Members
  • 35,665 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

They've already established that as long as they have raw organic material, they can make pretty much whatever they need to for subsistence. The only time they have an issue is when the organic material stocks are problematic (that happened last season towards the middle).

The fleet has gone away from being totally in starvation/desperation mode, especially after they got the Pegasus and its technology. Now, they've lost the actual ship, but I would be willing to fanwank that they spread out the tech between the two ships and improved the Bucket enough to where it's not only self-sustaining, it's fairly decent.

#100 Shryke

Shryke

The Wood of the Morning

• Members
  • 39,450 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

Poor people today (ie - those with almost nothing) spend more on tobacco and alcohol then anyone else. Why would they be any different?

Also, I'm imagining most of the liquor people are drinking is moonshine. Hell, we saw the deckhands making it that one episode.

And, if nothing else, the writers probably just forgot about it.