progress?

Ran, it's been a few months since the announcement that you and Linda are going to be inolved in this.

So, is there any news concerning the plannedpublication date and about what will definately be in there?

Another thing that interests me is wether or not ADWD will be implemented in the companion (a question that is, of course, linked to the one about the publication date)

Sorry if all of this has already been answered someplace else, I at least didn't find anything

It will certainly cover through ADwD. Which is why there's not a terrible amount of news right now -- most of the work on the book will be done after George is done with the novel, so that he can devote some time to overseeing it and working with Linda and myself. It's not a book where we're doing all the writing and George just looks it over once. :)

I think I can say that a couple of great, significant artists are definitely aboard, and at least one very familiar name to ASoIaF fans will be joining them. We've asked to see how much more we can divulge, now that contracts are signed -- possibly we'll want to wait until some promotional images are ready to go.

Hmm, before I thought this was coming out before ADWD. No complaints here though, because I guess the ideal thing is to have such a reference after the series was done, but of course no one knows when that's going to happen.

I'm quite happy with the book coming after ADWD. It would be a little weird having more advanced information from one half of the world than the other.

Also, specially if George manages to merge the two storylines at the end of Dance, I'm sure he'll already have a very defined idea of what will come on the two missing books, so he'll be able to include bits of info from them and also have the possibilty to made up any thematic information needed because there'll be no risk to get contradicted later.

That also means that the wait for the sisth book will be more bearable, with the World Book and the third D&E story.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Any chance of another general update Ran? It's been a while now and if George is closing in on the end of ADWD then may we see more developments soon?

And I'm guessing that the chances of seeing this before late 2009 are somewhat slim at the moment? ;)

Certainly, the book isn't coming out before ADwD. I should think 2009 seems very probable.

General update:

A few weeks ago we sent a very rough partial draft of the book to the editor. This is more to give the graphic designer to start getting some ideas as to how to layout the book. At this point, it remains largely material drawn from the books, SSM, and so on. We're not getting any super secret input from GRRM until ADwD is done -- ADwD is his primary focus.

That said, yesterday George went through our list of 1400+ characters in the series, and culled it down to a couple of hundred who'll be included in a sort of Who's Who. In the process, he categorized them by how much information would be needed for their individual entries, and there are some surprising choices there that give a bit of a hint about this or that character's importance to the rest of the series.

We've seen another of Ted's castle paintings -- jaw-dropping, as I said elsewhere. And Justin Swift is said to have been making progress on his art, and George has sent him several more suggested scenes to work on as he completes those he already has set.

And so ends the update. ;)

I'm almost as giddy for this book as I am for A Dance with Dragons.

That said, yesterday George went through our list of 1400+ characters in the series, and culled it down to a couple of hundred who'll be included in a sort of Who's Who.

A question: Will your book still have some kind of index listing all the characters, not necessarily with information? It would be nice to have that, instead of "just" a couple of hundred (which is more than most books have anyway, I know, but as a total fan I'd love to see a relatively complete character list).

In the process, he categorized them by how much information would be needed for their individual entries, and there are some surprising choices there that give a bit of a hint about this or that character's importance to the rest of the series.

Wow, sounds interesting! Giddier now

Something else I wanted to ask was if the final decision had been made on whether we were going to get any castle maps/plans? From the threads it seems like something a lot of people were keen on. And is it still the idea that it will be written from an in-universe, maester's POV?

Oh yes, and a while back it was hinted that we were going to get a name for the eastern continent. Is this still the plan? And will that include an explanation why no-one has used it at all up until this point? ;)

* waits for Ran to start dishing out the RAFOs

Presently, the plan is quite a large number of geographical maps, so the castle plan thing has fallen by the wayside. That said, there's still art budget available, so ... who knows?

Currently we're still operating from the first section or two being written as if from "in world". The advantage for us is, basically, the fact that an "in world" perspective has an excuse about not knowing everything or actively getting things wrong, whereas if it's from a purely authorial perspective. Not the whole thing though -- I don't expect that the character bios will really be written as if some maester is doing it.

The eastern continent, so far as I know, will still be named -- I've got the name down in a couple of sections of the history -- but don't expect anyone to explain why it hasn't been used until now. My gut feeling is that Westeros is synonymous with a relatively cohesive, nigh-continent spanning culture, so it makes sense the people mention it a lot ... but the eastern continent (hoped I'd let it slip, eh? ;) is a lot more fractured culturally speaking and there's really no point to naming the whole continent -- it doesn't convey anything more than "across the Narrow Sea" or "the Free Cities" does.

Just my guess as to what a "in world" explaination would be, though.

Currently we're still operating from the first section or two being written as if from "in world". The advantage for us is, basically, the fact that an "in world" perspective has an excuse about not knowing everything or actively getting things wrong, whereas if it's from a purely authorial perspective.

So you intend to follow after the Big White Book of Extremely Bad Art? It's a pity.

The revelation name of the eastern continent will, I assure you, be considered a mind-bending event of titanic proportions. Whispering the name into a mirror three times will summon George, and shouting it on a public street will get you arrested for inciting to riot.

It is the key not just to the series, but also the language of angels, and with them all the deep mysteries of the universe shall become as nothing!.... !!!!!

So, that's why all the mystery. ;)

Hey Guys!

Havent been on here very much, waiting impatiently for ADWD :(

Has it been 5 years yet? :D

Anyway all joking aside, i really really CANT wait for this book!

Ran, will there be a way to purchase the book from this site?

I really want to get 2 when it comes out and dont want to run around online or

in bookstores ordering/looking for one :(

The Young Lion!

Archived