Where ever whores go

Something crossed my mind earlier. Do we know if Ilyn Payne had anything to do with Tysha's rape? He's the only character we've met so far who has been in Tywin's guard, after all. Have he and Tyrion actually crossed paths in the books? I imagine Tyrion wouldn't think too highly of him if he was involved.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm firmly in the camp that the sailor's wife is Gerion's wife and not Tyrion's. It just seems to fit the best with him actually being a sailor who went missing. I don't see what difference it makes that Joy Hill is younger than Lanna. He could have easily stopped at Braavos years before his ill-fated journey, married her and knocked her up then returned to the Westerlands and fathered Joy Hill before his final trip. As to why he married her, I think his story mirrors Tyrion's in some ways. He was young and smitten and impulsive and probably drunk and married her Braavos. However, he knew the marriage would never be accepted back home, so he keeps her in Braavos and doesn't tell anyone else about her.

• 3 months later...

Everyone is hell-bent on Lanna who very likely has a Lannister connection but could as easily be by Gerion or one of the MANY members of very fertile House Lannister (as Cat Tully notes) before going to Braavos. If we return to Tywin's last words...

The very last words are much quoted but what of his specific words just before that?

His father pursed his lips. “There was no reason for that, she’d learned her place . . . and had been well paid for her day’s work, I seem to recall. I suppose the steward sent her on her

way. I never thought to inquire.”

“On her way where?”

“Wherever whores go.”

I agree with Shadowbinding Shoe in returning the quest to the Westerlands. His fathers first response before provoking Tyrion is that his steward took care of it. Even if we don't take Tywins as the literal truth it reminds us that Tywin was not a lone agent and no doubt involved at one of his trusted men. As a lord Tywin gave orders more often than doing anything himself. Tysha's presence was already no secret, known to the whole garrison. Tywin's plans throughout the books have all featured him keeping a hand firmly clenched on the details, so I think it's doubtful that he was completely ignorant of her subsequent fate. But even if he did wish to keep her destination a secret, his steward IS the most likely to have done the dirty work to get her there.

Tyrion no doubt knows and remembers Casterly Rock's steward(s) at the time. I'm sure he could make a plan to interrogate or capture from across the narrow sea. He has hatched more involved plots. That is where is where his wistful hankering should be aimed. He now has after all the manpower of the Second Sons in his palm and enough cunning to manipulate them as need demands.

Furthermore: Tyrion was never much loved by any of Casterly Rock from we can glean in his childhood memories and no doubt many have a new hate stirred at Tyrion's kinslaying of Tywin for which he is in fact officially attainted. But I don't think it would a great leap to assume that many who served under Tywin felt more fear than love for Tywin. Twixt the balance of these two considerations it is still conceivable that with the death of Tywin Lannister AND

Spoiler
the death of his brother Kevan Lannister the (true remaining strength of leadership within House Lannister)
AND with Cercei ensconced as Queen in Kings Landing, a number of persons in the service of House Lannister and Casterly Rock will feel that by Southron custom, Law and all rights of succession Casterly Rock and House Lannister actually belong to Tyrion Lannister. Such sentiments if ferreted out grant Tyrion allies in Casterly Rock that may help him albeit in secret.

• 9 months later...

Whatever Tywin may have thought of her, Tysha was not a whore.

Agreed, entirely. Being gang-raped does not make one a whore.

And, being a crofter's daughter would make her practical. Maybe to embarrassed to go home, but certainly she wouldn't have tossed the cash away.

I never thought of the Sailor's Wife connection on my own, but the more I read the theory, the more I like it. Plus, why would GRRM make such a big deal about the Wife's story if she weren't already somebody we "knew"?

I think Tywin's "Where ever whores go" statement is his last joke again Tyrion. Because Tywin knew Tysha wasn't a whore, but certainly wasn't going to tell the truth, especially given the circumstances under which he made the "where ever" statement.

In any case, I really hope that Tyrion and Tysha are reunited (and live happily ever after), but I highly doubt the story will unravel in such a conventional way.

• 10 months later...

Archived